Billy Cobham

^yeah hes probley dennis chambers biggest insparation, if you watch him play you see the resemblance right away, at least i did.

Re: Your Thoughts On Billy Cobham?

jbc6 said:
Hey, it's just my opinion, but I like B.C. the best. I threw something on another board, and some folks said that he's a sloppy drummer. That surprised me. I'm no musician, but I always thought that he played cleanly and accurately.

Here's the site: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446132

Here's one of the quotes if you don't want to go there:

"He is a good drummer. However he'll never be one of the greats. There's a simple reason for this.

He ALWAYS is catching rims or his sticks. Even on studio recordings there's clicks and clacks all over.

If you can't play clean, then you shouldn't be trying to play so fast. There's a slew of drummers who play with as much speed, power and creativity who never catch a rim. Let alone multiple times in a given song, on record."

I'm not sure what to think!

I like the rim clicks sometimes because he will be meaning to hit the rims and it sounds really cool

He must be one of the best drummers in music history, his technic is unlimited. Each rolls he does are just perfect and full of fury. As on "I wonder" (Mahavishnu Orchestra) is played my favourite guitar solo, as well there's the best drum roll i've ever heard. His very fast rythms full of ghost notes are a waste of time to understand, I think he was a precursor of drum'n'bass rythmics.
As far as my musical culture goes, and according to my tastes, i think that compared to other drumming icons, Billy Cobham is a rare one that have mainly been involved in interesting musical projects......but that's more personnal!!

Has anyone ever seen Billy play in standard drumming position (right hand playing hi hat)? I know that open-handed is his signature style, but I think it would be interesting to see him perform in a different setting.

- Marc

I don't know much about Billy's music but when you have the opportunity to check out a legend you seize it. I attended a BC clinic last night and all I can say is wow. Not only was he amazing behind the kit, but even listening to him speak was just as good. I can't say enough about it. Not only an amazing drummer but a great personality as well.

I sat through the BMW tour just a few nights ago, and I learnt more from Billy in 2 hours than I did from 3 guys in 3 hours. Not to take anything away form the others (Marco Minemann was the most impressive for me, really good), but Billy's show was half the price and twice the event, for me anyway.

Billy Cobham is on of the greatest drummers ever. Not only was he a pioneer, but his chops were awesome. All this talk about 'mistakes' is rubbish. It's like some previous posts mention, he was taking drumming to the next level. Nobody had done some of the things he was doing back in the 70's etc.

I have studied the Cobster and learnt so, so much. He is Jazz Fusion! I have even had the pleasure of chatting to the great man. He is such a nice chap. I found myself just wanting to thank him for everything he has done for my playing (not to mention the thousands of others).

You should definitely check out his DVD 'The Glass Menagerie' (March 1981). It's classic Cobham.

I just got home ten minutes ago from the BC drum clinic. He is freaking amazing. I think I should quit drummingHAHAHAHA

Hey Breakaway I was there too...nice to meet a fellow Winnipegger on the forum....

Billy was awesome........!

Yes he was. Do you play in any WPG bands? Do you study with any local teachers?

Hey breakaway....

My band days are in the distant past. I'm 45 and just recently took up the drums again after a lengthy hiatus. But I am taking formal lessons for the first time in my life with Hilary Chase.

Re: Check this out...Billy Cobham

some fantastic stuff, but nothing i wouldn't expect from billy

Innovator, Visionary, Musician, true Artist.

enough said as you can tell (by the avatar) i'm a bit of a fan...

Cobham was the first drummer to truley inspire me to look at the possibilities, he was a first at many things and will always be my favourite player for stepping outside the box we sometimes put our playing in.

Cheers BC, Oaks, Out

Re: Your Thoughts On Billy Cobham?

jbc6 said:
Here's the site: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446132

Here's one of the quotes if you don't want to go there:

"He is a good drummer. However he'll never be one of the greats. There's a simple reason for this.

He ALWAYS is catching rims or his sticks. Even on studio recordings there's clicks and clacks all over.

If you can't play clean, then you shouldn't be trying to play so fast. There's a slew of drummers who play with as much speed, power and creativity who never catch a rim. Let alone multiple times in a given song, on record."

I'm not sure what to think!

Well think about this....

In Reply to this i simply have this to say........As for the RIM CLICKS...Cobham is the ONLY artist with enough respect for the drumset and integrity to INTENTIONALY leave them in!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING? Think about this, do you really think cobham with the amount of technique and CONTROL he posseses could not lay down a PERFECT track without a single stick click???

It's a bit sad to see this type of talk in a so called "Musicain" forum...far from.

It's hard for some people to see that these imperfections (stick clicks) are what MAKE these tracks perfect, UNIQUE and living.

WITHOUT THEM IT WOULD NOT BE COBHAM....

Oaks, Out.

Bill Cobham the best drummer?

My friend scotty thinks bill cobham is the best, fastest and overall greatest drummer out there. I disagree with him but he won't listen. Can any of you help me and tell me why you agree or disagree with him. I personally think there are definitley some better drummers , please help!

Last edited:
Re: Bill Cobham the best drummer?

Have you ever heard of "personal opinions"? In your friend's opinion, Cobham is the geatest, and therefore he is right. You feel different... and therefore your friend is wrong? Is he wrong about his favorite flavor of soda pop, too?

Who cares? He's allowed his opinion and if that's what he thinks, so be it!

Now, if he's saying all other drummers suck, then there's your problem. But if he isn't that narrow minded and is just a cobham fanboy, what's the matter?

Billy Cobham came in into the world of drums 1970 like a storm - and revolutionised everything. Thousands of drummers stopped playing after hearing him...me included.

His place in history is untouched by nobody.

Bernhard

Back