What are these earbuds(?) I see Thomas Lang wearing?

topgun2021

Gold Member
Seen here.

I would assume there is some sound isolation involved because I would imagine it to be extremely hard to hear them while playing in concert.

This is all I really have to go on. Never seen something like those before.

In ear monitors. Nothing remarkable there at all.

Shure makes a great line of in-ear monitors starting with the low-end SE215 at $99. For my gigs at Disney I wear the SE315 which go up to $200, and of course, Thomas is probably wearing their top-of-the-line stuff which I think tops out at $499 or something like that. It gets more expensive when you decide to make it a wireless system as well.
I like the Shure stuff - they tend to do it the best since they were one of the first to develop them. Funny how they do really good microphones too.

There are other companies that make them too. Go over to Sweetwater.com and do a search for 'in-ear monitors' and you'll see most of the upper-end stuff they have for sale.

. . .Thomas is probably wearing their top-of-the-line stuff which I think tops out at $499 or something like that. . .

I was looking around the other day and found the most ridiculously over prices IEMs by JH Audio. They're like the SJC of in ear monitors. http://www.jhaudio.com/collection-promusic.php#1 (not saying they're the one's Lang is using, because I don't know if they are, just pointing out that some prices get out of hand).

Since I have no clue what brand they are and the brand name is what I am looking for... link?

If you want to know what they're for, they are essentially designed to give you a full and customised foldback mix when you're playing, without the need for monitoring wedges. They're designed to block out ambient sound and instead give you some kind of desk feed. A very good idea.

If you want to know what they're for, they are essentially designed to give you a full and customised foldback mix when you're playing, without the need for monitoring wedges. They're designed to block out ambient sound and instead give you some kind of desk feed. A very good idea.

I already have the basic understanding (I think):

You have your mixer and monitor. You mix the sound how you want, that goes to your monitor, then monitor to ear buds. I also assumed the sound blocking quality. I have only really seen headphones with sound blocking abilities.

ive been using shure in ear monitors for about 8 years now. i have the ones with the foam tips, there are 4 levels of pricing for the buds, mine are the second from the top, the foam does isolate sound, playing live i only need to wear one, the rest of the band sounds like im listing to a cd, if i wear both i have to get the sound guy to add my kit to the mix as well. i paid about $600 for the psm400 wired system back then and the salesman kept trying to upgrade me to wireless , im like dude, im a drummer im not going anywhere...lol

I use the JH-16s and they are worth EVERY penny. 8 drivers per ear, -26db reduction....they are stunning, sound perfect and Ive not had 1 issue with them. You get what you pay for.
On topic, I would suspect that Lang is wearing UE or JHA.

F

I have a pair of custom molds from Jerry Harvey's first company, Ultimate Ears. Paid $800 and would do it all over again. Having complete isolation and control over what I hear on a gig has literally changed the way I play for the better. Combine a set of quality molds with a Butt Kicker and you're Golden.

Another vote for JH Audio custom in-ears. I've had my JH-5s for over a year now and have loved every minute of using them. I use them weekly for playing live and also a lot for just listening to tunes from my iPhone.

The JH-5s are their cheapest model (2 drivers per ear) but they're still $400 (plus impressions) But they fit perfectly, don't come loose in the slightest, form a perfect seal, and have amazing clarity and a true reproduction of the mix. The higher end models with multiple drivers per ear would be even better. Honestly I kind of wish I'd just bit the bullet and gone for the JH-13s (JH-16s weren't even available when I purchased mine)

Yeah, any good custom (JHA, Ultimate Ears, Sensaphonics, etc) are gonna set you back some major green... but if you're a gigging drummer and are able to use a monitor mix, then they're maybe the best investment you can make.

Check out http://www.alienears.com/
Great place to get custom molded in ears for little cost. Under $350 for dual driver, under $400 for triple driver... can even get single driver ones for as cheap as $160.

Back