Roland TD-12SV and TD-12KX differences?

GNRFAN

I am looking to get a Roland TD 12, however since the NAMM show Roland apparently have upgraded the TD-12 and thus charging about an extra $1200 dollars for it. Is the upgraded kit worth the extra, as I see it your only getting an upgraded rack/boom assembly and larger pads. The brain, cymbals etc is same as the older TD12 kit are they not?

I am looking for a live kit as well as a practice kit so the TD12 seems the best option without the price tag of the TD20, it is just the new upgrade of the TD12 has made me think which is better.

Cheers
Dan

are you planning to play with a module? i personally wouldn't buy a roland at all as i think they are overpriced in comparison to other companies. that and i don't play with samples from a module. the td12kx has those differences you listed, and also has updated editing software i believe. that said, don't let my pessimistic attitude put you off, i'm sure a td12 will be fine.

I don't know about the TD-12 per se.

I was interested in the upgrades to the TD-20, but after attending a clinic on it, I was disappointed to find they hadn't upgraded the samples in the newest version of the TD-20.
Which while the old samples are decent, sampling technology has advanced in the last several years, and for the insane price of a TD-20, it would be nice to have the latest in technology included.

But Roland don't use samples! it's all software driven.

Anyways get a used TD12 and save yourself tons of cash. That's what I did : )

Davo

But Roland don't use samples! it's all software driven.

Anyways get a used TD12 and save yourself tons of cash. That's what I did : )

Davo

of course they use samples, that's what the software manipulates! compare the sounds you get on a TD20 (even fully edited and layered) with the stock sounds you get from something like BFD running on a R.E.T kit. the difference is pretty obvious, especially on the snare drum.
then compare the prices between buying a module (td12+) or buying a setup including an alesis trigger i/o, an interface, external hard drive, and some drum software. the difference in price is definitely in favor of the software option.

like i said previously, modules aren't inherently bad, but in comparison to samples (or possibly one of the old ddrum modules) there can really be no competition. we're talking programs that are using sometimes in excess of a gigabyte for one kit vs a module.

it really depends what perspective you are taking. i'm talking creme de la creme here, you may not be.

Does the TD12 module come with any acrylic kit presets? Or is it just birch and maple etc.

Back