Ian Paice

To say that all Paice does is single strokes is absolutely ridiculous. If you pay attention to any of the videos or DVDs of Ian with Deep Purple or otherwise you can see that he does much more than singles.

He makes heavy use of doubles and different versions of paradiddle.

This drum solo is a great example of what I'm talking about, and a lot of the fills that he does in the songs are reminiscent of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-bT5Ig0oQ

On a side note I was privileged to have a brief encounter with Mr. Paice at the airport in Malta when Deep Purple played their only show there in 98. He signed my CD. The last time I saw Deep Purple was two years ago in Atlantic City and I managed to get a stick from Mr. Paice before they ran off stage.

The band that I currently play in plays mainly original material, but since we are all big Purple fans we usually close our shows with Black Night. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpM2SFF27sM

To say that all Paice does is single strokes is absolutely ridiculous. If you pay attention to any of the videos or DVDs of Ian with Deep Purple or otherwise you can see that he does much more than singles.

He makes heavy use of doubles and different versions of paradiddle.

This drum solo is a great example of what I'm talking about, and a lot of the fills that he does in the songs are reminiscent of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-bT5Ig0oQ

On a side note I was privileged to have a brief encounter with Mr. Paice at the airport in Malta when Deep Purple played their only show there in 98. He signed my CD. The last time I saw Deep Purple was two years ago in Atlantic City and I managed to get a stick from Mr. Paice before they ran off stage.

The band that I currently play in plays mainly original material, but since we are all big Purple fans we usually close our shows with Black Night. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpM2SFF27sM
You are a lucky man talking to Ian Paice and also having a stick of his very cool.

You're band does a good job on Black Night not too many bands jam that tune cool choice.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Comments from - Ian Paice - regarding, the recording an album now, very interesting:

The other thing is that people are getting very standardised in the sound that they are allowed to produce in the studio. Producers know that there is a certain sound you can get very easily and very quickly and that’s what they want you to go for. Again you have the same problem where the individuality has been taken out of it; it’s very hard to tell who’s playing anymore. To go back to one of the simplest examples, when Bonzo was playing you knew it was him, it was his sound, when Mitch Mitchell was playing, you knew it was him, it was his style, when Ginger Baker was playing, you knew it was Ginger because it was him. The standardisation of everything is making us lose our humanity and what makes those old records still interesting to kids today who weren’t even born when they were made, is that they have a human connection with the musician creating it. That’s all been taken away by the technologically perfect medium with which we are asked to create art now, the records are now perfect and they’re not as good.

Another one of my favs......man I love his drum sound.....esp. his snare...great drummer!
How can you not like his snare sound, the old stuff he played a LM402 Ludwig just like Bonham great snare he does fantastic paradiddles and over the top press rolls the drum teacher who said all he does is single-strokes needs too look more into his work. he's not Gadd but I would like too see Gadd jam "Burn" Gadd is a great drummer but guarantee he wont sound like Paice. IMO Ian Paice IS the most under-rated drummer in Rock.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

How can you not like his snare sound, the old stuff he played a LM402 Ludwig just like Bonham great snare he does fantastic paradiddles and over the top press rolls the drum teacher who said all he does is single-strokes needs too look more into his work. he's not Gadd but I would like too see Gadd jam "Burn" Gadd is a great drummer but guarantee he wont sound like Paice. IMO Ian Paice IS the most under-rated drummer in Rock.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Yea I agree about the under-rated bit...def. a really good drummer, but I also don't think he's as good as bonzo (IMO).

Yea I agree about the under-rated bit...def. a really good drummer, but I also don't think he's as good as bonzo (IMO).
Bonham will always be my Fav. no doubt I think Bonham popularity arise from not only being a great drummer but a total original no one like him kinda like Hendrix in a way, I've had the pleasure of seeing DP 4 times only once with Ritchie (Perfect Strangers tour) Ian totally killed it everytime I seen him through.

Bonzolead

Comments from - Ian Paice - regarding, the recording an album now, very interesting:

That’s all been taken away by the technologically perfect medium with which we are asked to create art now, the records are now perfect and they’re not as good.

fully agree, too much synthezized and programmed sound on Todays music, too perfect and too boring., doesnt sound real.

Seeing Ian Paice live with Deep Purple was awesome.

You really have to seem him to really appreciate his skill at the drum set.

Seeing Ian Paice live with Deep Purple was awesome.

You really have to seem him to really appreciate his skill at the drum set.

I would love to see Ian Paice playing live...one of my dreams!

The great Ian Paice. I think he is great, one of the greatest! I love the sound of his kit. I wish to see him play live. That would be amazing to see him live and then go home and try and play those songs. I could never play like him!

Had a chance to meet DP backstage in Colo Spgs in 02 . Glover,Gillan,Morse...No Ian Pace in sight .Was hoping to meet him..watching him perform was just as good. Amazing chops !! Machine Head Album .. What more can be said ?

One of my favorite drum solos ever, definetely one of the best in history. Remember the first time I saw it and I didn't know anything about Ian, I was so impressed that I didn't realized he was lefty. Just awesome.

Nice . . that is some of the cleanest playing I've heard him do, esp on the versions of the Mule. A lot of Buddy and Morello in there.He really aces the slow single on this version as well. I have the Copenhagen DVD, where if I recall correctly, he has a second bass drum. I thought that was earlier; but it may be the same one. Is that all single pedal of two bass drums?

Oh, here it is . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbYj71g1QQQ

Back