Bill Stewart

I don`t think I actually prefer a setting with piano.
I love to listen to musicians like Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Peter Bernstein, Kurt Rosenwinkel etc.

Though generally I listen to a lot more piano than guitar settings and I`m happy to be in a piano trio setting. It stays that classy sound for me. =)

Nevertheless it might always depend on the particular musician and this might still be the most important factor.

Karl

Etienne,

have you already listened to this year`s Modern Drummer festival samples? Bill was there...and hehe...he played with piano, sax and bass.
That was such a pleasure for me to hear him with piano etc.

I just know him playing with guitar, organ, sax, trumpet and bass actually.

I think I`m gonna get the DVD, generally it was such a great line-up this year.

Karl

I laughed when I read this one. I was wondering the same thing. He's quite good at grabbing it with his foot and pulling it back into place. He must just love the action on that stand. What is it anyway?

PS: Is there a reason why he always uses this Hi-hat stand which is moving so much when playing with it? Or is it just the surface where it`s put on?

Karl[/QUOTE]

So I searched for Bill Stewart's thread, and all I found whas this little thing?!

Well I think he is one of the absolute greats today, his touch, his groove, his technique, the complexity and musicality of his playing... I love listening to him and get inspired. I know he isn't everybody's cup of tea though.

Has he released anything recently? Does anybody know?

No problem.

the other record I failed to mention was Lage Lund's "unlikely stories." An amazing record comprised entirely of Lage's original music.

Its also pretty interesting to hear Stewart with Ben Street on bass.

there are tons of great records on which he plays, including some great sleepers that do not receive a whole lot of attention. Marc Copland's 'new york trio recordings vols. 1 and 3 for example (volume 2 has Paul Motian on drums."

some of copland's other records feature Jochen Rueckert, another very interesting drummer who is gaining some notoriety in New York and europe.

Bill's played on quite a few Bill Charlap records as well...Great stuff....

No problem.

the other record I failed to mention was Lage Lund's "unlikely stories." An amazing record comprised entirely of Lage's original music.

Its also pretty interesting to hear Stewart with Ben Street on bass.

there are tons of great records on which he plays, including some great sleepers that do not receive a whole lot of attention. Marc Copland's 'new york trio recordings vols. 1 and 3 for example (volume 2 has Paul Motian on drums."

some of copland's other records feature Jochen Rueckert, another very interesting drummer who is gaining some notoriety in New York and europe.

This is true.

I have to say I prefer Marc Copland and Bill Carrothers on piano. Bill also made a great piano trio record with george colligan, who is terribly underrated in my opinion. Vincente Archer was on bass.

You also can't beat Bill Stewart with Peter Bernstein. The "Monk" album from 09 is really beautiful music and "Earth Tones" from the mid 90's is absolutely burning. It features Bernstein's tune "Metamorphosis," which Kendrick Scott covered on his album "Reverence" from last year.

Kendrick Scott is another drummer not to sleep on.

I was lucky enough to see Bill a lot with Peter and usually Larry G or Sam Yahel on organ..It It was 10 BUCKS !!! to get in and I'd sit right up front and really get to check him out...Just about every week for quite a while it was Blade, Bill or Gregg Hutchinson...I miss those days...Kendrick is another monster...I've caught him only once so far but it was great...Marcus Gilmore probably my favorite new young guy if I had to name one person...He is playing at Smalls this Weds and Thurs night with Mark Turner and if you're not aware of this, they now have a live video feed so you can check it out from anywhere in the world...Enjoy...

This is true.

I have to say I prefer Marc Copland and Bill Carrothers on piano. Bill also made a great piano trio record with george colligan, who is terribly underrated in my opinion. Vincente Archer was on bass.

You also can't beat Bill Stewart with Peter Bernstein. The "Monk" album from 09 is really beautiful music and "Earth Tones" from the mid 90's is absolutely burning. It features Bernstein's tune "Metamorphosis," which Kendrick Scott covered on his album "Reverence" from last year.

Kendrick Scott is another drummer not to sleep on.

Marcus is such a killer. His playing with Vijay Iyer makes my head spin. He's probably my favorite "young guy" as well. He is only like 4 months older than I am... and he is already one of the most incredible musicians on the scene.

I like Justin Brown a lot and Jamire Willaims as well. But Marcus is so versatile, so musical. I can't recall listening to him and thinking that he was overplaying or trying to make the music about himself. He plays whatever is needed to make the music happen.

The small's live feed is incredible. Every drummer who is interested in jazz should check it out every now and then. Great players are there every night. When I was last there as first act was finishing up, Bill Stewart, who was playing the 9 to 12 spot with Jon Gordon's band walked in. He sat down at the bar and got a beer and paid for it in quarters. It was excellent. He just sat there quietly by himself, with his cymbal bag and beer, checking out the music. He then proceeded to kill it during his set.

Ari Hoenig is probably the mayor of smalls. Every monday he plays there with different configurations - always interesting, always creative. Small's is like church.

HA! Ari's the mayor! That's pretty funny! Ari is great too but I am a bit Arieed out to tell the truth...He is quite amazing...I actually took some lessons from him some yrs back and it was great and he was very cool...Nice guy...

I've never seen a drummer of his caliber when it comes to taste, finesse, and overall feel for the drum kit. Everything he plays is completely musical and is just a joy to hear. In my opinion, there is no one today that plays jazz better using the matched grip. It's a shame that not enough people talk about him on the forums. Hopefully this thread will spark some talk about one of today's true jazz drumming masters.

GBJ

Last edited:
Jerome, that was an excellent little story. It's stuff like that that puts a smile on a drummer's face. Hearing about great drummers in normal situations (in this case, having a beer at a bar) somehow lets you connect with them a little more.

Now I'd like to come back to the topic of Mr. Stewart's great sounding drums. I can't think of a drum kit that sounded better than his 1997 setup. Everything is just perfect. Anyone have any idea how old those heads were back then? It's amazing that heads that look that old and worn can produce such great tone.

GBJ

Back