10 pairs of sticks for $10.00 at GC, anyone tried these?

Phat_Rolls

Hey,

Guitar Center is having a sell for their 44th anniversary. One of the deals is 10 pairs of hickory sticks for $10.00.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried these no-name sticks and if so, are they even half way decent? That's a helluva deal.

Im guessing they are probably not durable at all, but i may have to go buy them because you are right, that is a hell of a deal.

There are basically 2 types of Hickory, there is the sapwood of the Hickory tree what is mostly white in color, and is the outside layer of the tree.
Then there is the wood what is more inside to the center of the tree, what is darker in color.
The sapwood is what most stick companies use, due to the sapwood is a little softer, and absorbs a little more shock while playing, and because it is not quite as hard does not break that easy.
Both woods are probably kiln dried to a moisture content of 8%-10%.
About the sticks 10 pairs for $10.00 one of the problem could be that they are not matched in weight, so one stick could feel heavier than the other.
But I can say that for sure, so the best what you can do is go there and check some of the pairs and see how they feel.
Also do the the roll test and see how straight they are.
Check if they lacquered, because Hickory tends to warp if it is not treated after it was machined.

Im guessing they are probably not durable at all, but i may have to go buy them because you are right, that is a hell of a deal.

Make sure you call first, I called all the guitar centers in my area and all of them are sold out. One thing worth mentioning is that they aren't marked there's pretty much just a bin of sticks, all different sizes and you match them yourself.

They have been doing this sort of promotion for years with various different types of sticks. The most current I have seen is the "Sound Percussion" ones. These sticks are not as bad as you would think though. They are in not very consistant but what can you ask for realy. The wood tips tend to fall apart very quickly but at $1 a pair who can complain.
I use these at band practice because I like to throw sticks to the audiance and dont like throwing $8 a pair sticks and dont want to throw out a pair of brand new sticks that I have never used.
Other than the wood tips falling apart I have never noticed any other big problems with them. Depending on playstyle and what you like it is most likely better to buy nicer sticks for day to day playing. Overall you will get better sticks and you can choose exactly what you like to use.

You need to buy my "Secrets of Making $1/pr Sticks Play Like Vic's" dvd. For $19.95 you will be up to speed in just a few weeks. If you can't wait a few weeks, for $199.95 you can have my "Secrets of the $1 Zen Master's" dvd. You will be making those $1 toothpicks sound as good & last as long as any Vader or Vic stick in ONE DAY! Act NOW!!

Seriously, you will almost certainly get what you pay for. Vic's sticks cost more because they are quality through & through. Don't skimp on sticks. Unbalanced or different wood density can affect your playing more than you think. Stick with the name brands (I know, bad pun).

Peace

They have been doing this sort of promotion for years with various different types of sticks. The most current I have seen is the "Sound Percussion" ones. These sticks are not as bad as you would think though. They are in not very consistant but what can you ask for realy. The wood tips tend to fall apart very quickly but at $1 a pair who can complain.
I use these at band practice because I like to throw sticks to the audiance and dont like throwing $8 a pair sticks and dont want to throw out a pair of brand new sticks that I have never used.
Other than the wood tips falling apart I have never noticed any other big problems with them. Depending on playstyle and what you like it is most likely better to buy nicer sticks for day to day playing. Overall you will get better sticks and you can choose exactly what you like to use.

I like the Sound Percussion sticks (GC store brand). I use plastic tips and they hold up very well, especially for the money.

Hey,

Guitar Center is having a sell for their 44th anniversary. One of the deals is 10 pairs of hickory sticks for $10.00.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried these no-name sticks and if so, are they even half way decent? That's a helluva deal.

I've bought a few bundles of these on a whim. "Hey, it's a great deal, and if I get 3 good pairs out of it, I will have saved some cash..." Well, I've never gotten 3 good pairs out of all 20 sticks.

There are a lot of warped sticks, many different weights, even differing diameters(!) of sticks. If you're just starting out and don't care about balanced sticks or good sounding resonance coming from your sticks, then it's a great deal. If you care about said stuff, it's a rip-off.

Are they huge? I bought a big bag of sticks once from there. they had no size but they were massive...

Back