Travis Barker

but its still an opinion. informed as they may be.

Did you read anything I wrote above?

For the 500th time, the primary issue is this.

Example:

Fanboy: X Drummer is so cool because he is the fastest ever. I love him.

Other Guy: No he isn't the fastest ever. In fact his strokes were subjected to computer analysis showing that he is merely of average speed. Look, here is the data.

Fanboy: That is your opinion. My opinion is that X Drummer is the fastest and coolest drummer ever. If you will not let me have my opinion you are an elitest snob.

You can find some version of this conversation in almost every thread where hero worship is present. Such claims aren't opinions. That's about keeping the legend alive in face of actual facts.

The irony of this argument is that I actually like most of the drummers who are worshipped like this. But the discussions about them are pretty frustrating, because the fanboy crowd could care less about having a real objective conversation, while always pulling the you're picking on me card when they can't think of anything else to say.

Example:

Other Guy: No he isn't the fastest ever. In fact his strokes were subjected to computer analysis showing that he is merely of average speed. Look, here is the data.

Fanboy: That is your opinion. My opinion is that X Drummer is the fastest and coolest drummer ever. If you will not let me have my opinion you are an elitest snob.

You can find some version of this conversation in almost every thread where hero worship is present. Such claims aren't opinions. That's about keeping the legend alive in face of actual facts.

The irony of this argument is that I actually like most of the drummers who are worshipped like this. But the discussions about them are pretty frustrating, because the fanboy crowd could care less about having a real objective conversation, while always pulling the you're picking on me card when they can't think of anything else to say.

yea. i agree with you full on. but its almost impossible to change someone like thats opinion. thats whats wrong with a lot of people these days. theyre so ignorant to what THEY think is cool and awesome or whatever that they stay firm in that belief no matter what you throw at them.

Example:

Peter Criss is the best drummer because they even said it..."you wanted the best and you got it the hottest band in the world...KISS"

Oy Vey......;-)

Peter Criss is the best drummer because they even said it..."you wanted the best and you got it the hottest band in the world...KISS"

Oy Vey......;-)

thats cool.
go to a peter criss thread then, man.

yea, im a noob.

educate me.
It's friendly sarcasm man. It's coming your way because after being here 20 minutes, you said this:

a lot of people on this forum have to be asked this question;
whats your definition of "the best"? .

1. To say this you assume a whole lot, including the fact that no one here has considered that question over 4 years.

2. We weren't engaged in a the best conversation anyway. We were talking about how fanboys react to their heroes including Travis Barker, including how they label those who don't agree with them snobs. For several days you kept posting away, while some were wondering if you were actually reading what others were saying.

Nobody's trying to be a jerk man, and welcome to the discussion. But this identical behavior is what is usually seen on a Barker/Jordison/Peart/Bonham/Rich thread, and I'm not sure how it helps anything.

I'm just going to back off and lurk for awhile. A lot of repeat discussions going on today at the same time.

Matt if you think the Bonzo/Peart/Portnoy crowd is bad...you should check out the comments on youtube for Criss/Carr/Singer....if I am to believe what is written...each one is...in fact..."the best drummer who has ever lived"...;-)

Oy Vey....

It's friendly sarcasm man. It's coming your way because after being here 20 minutes, you said this:

1. To say this you assume a whole lot, including the fact that no one here has considered that question over 4 years.

2. We weren't engaged in a the best conversation anyway. We were talking about how fanboys react to their heroes including Travis Barker, including how they label those who don't agree with them snobs. For several days you kept posting away, while some were wondering if you were actually reading what others were saying.

Nobody's trying to be a jerk man, and welcome to the discussion. But this identical behavior is what is usually seen on a Barker/Jordison/Peart/Bonham/Rich thread, and I'm not sure how it helps anything.

I'm just going to back off and lurk for awhile. A lot of repeat discussions going on today at the same time.

i apologize. i suppose i am in a little over my head here, if you know what i mean. im kinda just tryin to get into the convo. but maybe not in the best way. but it comes down to a big inferiority complex in the forum. a lot of people here are really good, experienced drummers who have had training and lessons, and im kinda just a 17 yr old kid with no formal training having conversations with seasoned percussionists.

ya know?

i apologize. i suppose i am in a little over my head here, if you know what i mean. im kinda just tryin to get into the convo. but maybe not in the best way. but it comes down to a big inferiority complex in the forum. a lot of people here are really good, experienced drummers who have had training and lessons, and im kinda just a 17 yr old kid with no formal training having conversations with seasoned percussionists.

ya know?
Yep, I do know man. I'm the same age as you. There are a lot of places I can go to on the net and feel like I don't get it either. I feel confused on drum forums all the time. But you might want to hang around at these kinda places and and get a feel for stuff before saying stuff that looks like you're calling them out. There are also a bunch of talented young guys here you can talk to. In fact this is probably the only drum forum where younger guys with a clue get respect.

i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer.

I know this discussion has died down a bit, but I think this must be said:

You don't need to have skill and ability to judge every drummer. What a silly comment. After all, we're the most important people, right? We're the listener, it's our reaction that's most important otherwise how would he earn his money?
You don't have to be a pro in order to judge a pro. It's been said thousands of times - it's OPINION.
If we went by what you said, then really we couldn't even say Travis was good unless we were professional drummers ourselves.
Alright, I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just wanted to point out the flaw in that part of your quite angry post.

Le Fin.

I know this discussion has died down a bit, but I think this must be said:

You don't need to have skill and ability to judge every drummer. What a silly comment. After all, we're the most important people, right? We're the listener, it's our reaction that's most important otherwise how would he earn his money?
You don't have to be a pro in order to judge a pro. It's been said thousands of times - it's OPINION.
If we went by what you said, then really we couldn't even say Travis was good unless we were professional drummers ourselves.
Alright, I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just wanted to point out the flaw in that part of your quite angry post.

Le Fin.
well said!
though i must add that while you don't need to be a pro to judge the pro, it's helps your opinion if you knew SOMETHING about drumming in general

well said!
though i must add that while you don't need to be a pro to judge the pro, it's helps your opinion if you knew SOMETHING about drumming in general

Yeh,
but I'm sure none of us are better than buddy rich,
but we all know that he is better than us

I just read an interesting interview with Gil Sharone in a back issue of MD where he talked about having to take one of Travis's European gigs with some band witht the number 44 in it (sorry, I don't remember what it was called)... He talked about how he basically memorized all the songs and parts during his flight from CA to Germany. Gil is someone I haven't listened to a lot of, but it seems like he's a really solid drummer.

Kind of a left-field post there I realize, but related to this threads namesake nonetheless.

well said!

Of course, that's how you can form opinions fairly - by knowing both sides of the arguement and something about the issue. You still don't have to be an expert to have one.

Well he is a good drummer but i just hate that people think he is "the best" drummer. when actually there a so many better drummers than him. He isnt all that fast but people who only know famous bands think the drummers are the best and fastest. But i guess we'll just live with it unless someone has some protest signs... but thats probly to much to ask

Back