snare head combo for rudimentary playing.

i want to make my snare drum sound sweet for rudimentary playing. i presently have a tama swingstars 14x4.5 mahagony snare. i know it isnt a high end snare drum. still.. need to get the sweetest out of it.

i admire chad smith's snare with remo CS coated on it.

unfortunately i have no remo dealer in my town. only evans

so can you guys suggest me a batter + reso head combination to construct a sweet sounding snare drum out of the piece i have got.. that would make rudimentary playing sound really smooth.

thx.

Problem is sound and tone are such a personal thing that what one person may like another may not. The old standby is a coated remo ambassador or coated evans G1 batter with an ambassador snare side or evans hazy snare side head.

My DW collector snare has basically the remo setup on it and I really like how it sounds. Now my steel yamaha snare has an ambassador snare side but sounds best with a coated remo Powerstroke 3 on the batter. So it's really trial and error.

you playing marching band type stuff?

if so .....its not really possible to make a kit snare sound the way those drums sound....

I think what you are looking for is articulation

a tight quick sound to you hear every tap and accent .....

any head will do.....just tune the drum high and dry it out with moon gel or tape or whatever you prefer

I'd recommend checking out the Genera HD. It's an articulate head with plenty of durability and it speaks well even at softer dynamics. This is certainly still a "drum set snare head" though (meaning that there are heads out there such as our Strata Stacatto 1000 that are intended for mainly orchestral/concert/rudimental playing). It really depends on the context that you're looking to play within.

Are you planning to keep this drum with a kit or just play it on its own? Are you using it just for solo work or with an ensemble?

Back