Travis Barker

Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

What i have found out regarding this subject, is that not many people actually hate him per say. What they, including myself, hate is the fan boys that go on YouTube, find a video of Steve Gadd, Vinnie, Buddy, or any GREAT drummer, and say "He sucks, Travis FTW" or some silly ignorant comment like that..

I personally think hes a great drummer, but in the great wise words of "The 40 year old Virgin"..

"They are putting the p@#$y on a pedestal.." The p%$#y being Travis Barker..

btw i aint calling TB one, Im just saying they idolize him for the wrong reasons..

The guy is a big figure in today's pop culture that's why he gets so much attention as a drummer. He's good, but there are soooooooo many other drummers today who are better. They just don't get all the attention like he does 'cos they're not pop celebs.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

I wish that todays teens or young people would get rid of two words used so often in their vocabulary that they almost become meaningless. First, any type of negative criticism is labeled HATE. Lose it. Secondly, anything not liked is GAY. Lose it. Expand your vocabulary to use words that truly convey what you mean and more people may pay attention.

Agreed agreed agreed! These two words are so overused, there meaning has become basically pointless...

As for Travis, he has a large fan base and is very good at what he does. But arguing the fact that he is the best drumming isn't really a good thing to discuss, as really, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Also, in reality, it is impossible to name one drummer as the best, because each person in unique in there own style and how they express themselves with music.

It annoys me when I ask my non-drummer friends who they think the best drummer in the world is, and they come out with Travis Barker. He is an OK drummer, but no way near as the technical greats such as Jojo Mayer and Johnny Rabb!!! His popularity makes people think he's totally awesome, but its just the wrong way of looking at it. :(

What i have found out regarding this subject, is that not many people actually hate him per say. What they, including myself, hate is the fan boys that go on YouTube, find a video of Steve Gadd, Vinnie, Buddy, or any GREAT drummer, and say "He sucks, Travis FTW" or some silly ignorant comment like that..

I personally think hes a great drummer, but in the great wise words of "The 40 year old Virgin"..

"They are putting the p@#$y on a pedestal.." The p%$#y being Travis Barker..

btw i aint calling TB one, Im just saying they idolize him for the wrong reasons..

Couldn't have put it better myself. Also, its not only the fanboys, its the general public. Most non-musicians, who have no clue on drumming, when the find out i play the drums, ask: "oh have you heard travis barker, he's amazing". I then tell them that i think he's a good drummer but nothing special, and show them a couple of clips of Gadd, Buddy Rich, Bonham or Jojo Mayer, and only then do they realise how misinformed they were.

I was at a mates this past weekend and his 9 year old daughter was telling me what a great drummer Justin Beiber was. I showed her the Vinnie/Gadd/Weckl vid from the Buddy memorial concert. I wasn't at all surprised when it didn't convince her.

Same argument.......different generation.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to end with Travis or Joey Jordison. We'll be getting the same giggle in 20 years time too, I assure you.

I was at a mates this past weekend and his 9 year old daughter was telling me what a great drummer Justin Beiber was.

Surely you mean Travis Barker. Although the same could be said about Beiber when it comes to the music industry. That Vinnie/Gadd/Weckl video is absolutely amazing, it's a real shame when the average person cannot appreciate such things but is impressed by musicians like travis barker, beiber and nearly every other top40 pop sensation.

I wish I did mate.....I'm not nearly as offended by Travis as some of our drumming fraternity brothers are.

No, I definitely meant Justin Bieber: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcVgrfjyjhQ

I just thought it was a funny connection. Doesn't matter what generation, there will always be a tendency to overstate mediocrity.

Wow, that video made me laugh, as did some of the comments. Did not know Beiber (kind of) plays the drums.

I agree with you that there will always be a tendency to overstate mediocrity, but has it always been to the extent that it is now? With the internet, anybody can put up a video or a recording, and therefore alot of talent gets hidden amongst all the crap. The problem with today is that all of these labels, magazines and companies heavily promote artists such as Beiber and Barker because their fan base will buy absouletly everything and anything with his name on it. It was the same thing with the Pitch Black cymbals, terrible cymbal but got heavy promotion with Jordison and was the only reason they were reasonably successful in terms of sales. Has this always been the case, or am i just too young to know what happened in past generations haha.

Now, Justin Bieber never bugged me too much. He was really lucky and got launched into stardom without the help of Disney's Genetic Child Star programming, for which I respect him. He's a teen idol though, nothing more, nothing less.

But, Please Mr. Beiber, play drums at home, wood shed, learn more than just triplets and then maybe start playing solos.

They only cheer because it's you.

I don't "hate" TB I just hate the fact that most people always connect popularity with ability when the two are almost always seperate from each other.

I also hate fanboys who have to go troll amd say that Joey or Travis are the best drummers ever when the two of them are not even close.

BTW I love Joey and he is one of the main reasons I started playing drum set.

And can Justin Bieber just go away already so the new annoying Disney sensation can appear.

And can Justin Bieber just go away already so the new annoying Disney sensation can appear.

Justin Beiber isn't with Disney and his popularity completely toppled the Jonas Brothers. That's the one thing that I respect him for.

Sorry to help this thread get so far off topic.

Justin Beiber isn't with Disney and his popularity completely toppled the Jonas Brothers. That's the one thing that I respect him for.

lol. yeah i know he's not with disney its just the generic think to say about the cookie cutter pop stars that little children,mainly girls, adore.

Just my opinions on travis barker here...
Good drummer i think, but doesnt deserve the praise he gets i reckon, hes a decent punk drummer from what ive saw.
But come on, even for a punk drummer hes nowhere near the best, brooks wackerman could teach him a thing or two ;)

I like him personally, i just cant stand the fans who's youtube names are TRAVIS4LYF and comment on ever buddy rich video saying how much buddy sucks compared to travis. Travis would laugh in their face if he heard them say that though!

I feel that Travis Barker receives a lot more attention than most because he looks so cool behind the drums. I mean, the guy has talent but it's because he makes it look so easy and fun that he gets most of his praise.

Saying that though, I've just recently recorded and uploaded video drum lessons for three different Blink 182 songs, have you tried playing what he does?! Man, Travis can play!

Rob

Well...where to start.I think Travis really should start listening more to the greats and a little less to his hype.Dynamics ,touch,feel,and swing are not really in his toolkit.He probably has the talent to be a good drummer instead of just adequete for just a single style of music.
Sorry Travis fans ..he really dosen't own anybody.One trick pony who repeats all he knows every 5 minutes of playing time.
Steve B

The guy is OBVIOUSLY doing something right. Travis is the perfect example of someone who has worked hard, achieved his personal goals, and has been the best he can be...and getting better. Not once have I heard a remark from Travis about him thinking that he is a drum god, or thinks he is the best drummer ever. In my opinion, to think that he gets too much credit is just being plain jealous. Like I said, he's obviously doing something right.

Oh, but being in the biggest modern-day punk-rock band does draw an exquisite amount of attention to the drummer. Collaborating with some of the biggest names in hip-hop also exposes him to many people who otherwise would probably never hear of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzTv9S6qHuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJtszD5cMYs&feature=related

Last edited:
I think people aren't paying so much attention when they say TB is all speed and nothing else. I hate fast punk-poppy drumming because it's boring and sounds pretty unmusical to me on its own, but there is definitely a bit of personality with his playing in B182 that deserves recognition. Also, the dude doesn't carry himself in some superior way, he seems pretty level-headed. He just happens to be massively appealing to people who are excited by what he plays, I don't think he himself is necessarily a gimmick. This is coming from someone who has absolutely no interest in Blink 182-ish drumming.

Back