Best Stick between 5b and 2b??

I know this has been asked before, just want a current take. I use Vic Firth 5b for live shows and it always seems a bit light, where as the 2b feels too large. I like the density of the Pro Mark Japanese Oaks, maybe 747B?? . The Firth's seem more hollow sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

I am using Mike Portnoy signature sticks. I just happened to pick them up in the drum shop and they felt right so I bought them. They are like a 5B with a long shoulder and big tip.

I too find myself in between 5b & 2b sizes. I was thinking of checking these out on my next stick purchase.

American Classic® Extreme 55B
A 5B‚ with increased shaft thickness and length. Leverage and power with great feel.
L = 16 1/2" | Dia. = .610"

Reactions: ZR2
I switched to Vic Firth's SD1 General about two months ago. They're maple sticks, but they're extremely sturdy. Everyone says Maple is a more fragile wood, but I slug my drums pretty hard and I have yet to break a pair. They're a bit thicker than a 5B, but thinner than a 2B. They're also quite long, ball tip. I think I'll be using these for many years to come. They're aimed more toward Corps drummers, but they aren't nearly as thick or heavy as the Vic Firth's Corpsmasters.

went into GC today , the Mike Mangini Zildjian sticks seems very dense , a bit of an xtra reach , although it's listed as .585 seems closer to a 5A than a 5b in diameter , however, much more weight ....anyone tried these? Birch wood on sticks?

I too find myself in between 5b & 2b sizes. I was thinking of checking these out on my next stick purchase.

American Classic® Extreme 55B
A 5B‚ with increased shaft thickness and length. Leverage and power with great feel.
L = 16 1/2" | Dia. = .610"

Vater 3A's my favorite larger stick.

Bonzolead

Vic Firth X55B - L=16.5" Dia.= .610"
Vater Power 5B - (same as Vic X55B)
Regal Tip 2BX - L=16.25" Dia.= .625"

All excellent choices.

The Vic Firth Danny Carey Signature stick is my latest favorite.

Length: 16 1/2"
Diameter: tapered from .695" to .630"

Vic Firth says this stick is made of hickory but it feels a little lighter, enough so that I thought it was maple.

Feels like a beefier 5B, plays like a 2B luv it

I switched to Vic Firth's SD1 General about two months ago. They're maple sticks, but they're extremely sturdy. Everyone says Maple is a more fragile wood, but I slug my drums pretty hard and I have yet to break a pair. They're a bit thicker than a 5B, but thinner than a 2B.

I like these sticks, but they are thicker (.635") than a 2B (.630), albiet by a hair. And they shatter.

Looking on the Vic page, it would seem the SD10 or SRM would be the hickory midpoint between 5B and 2B:
http://www.vicfirth.com/products/stick-selection-guide.php

I am currently using the Promark Japanese White Oak 5B nylon tip. I hit pretty hard and I have yet to break one of these. If you haven't tried them give'em a shot. I don't think you will be dissapointed.
Peace

I love the VF SD1 sticks, but they were originally designed for symphonic percussionists, and were one of Vics first designs. The maple is perfect for that, but symphonic work does not call for much rim shoting. For aggressive set play, I would use a hickory stick. SD1 sticks make awesome practice pad sticks.

Back