Question on changing heads from EvansPrez

I find in a majority of cases concerning young drummers and many not so young, that they have a definite fear of turning the tension rods of their drums. This might sound ridiculous, but many drummers will take the position that the drums might still sound "alright" even though they're in desperate need of tuning or head replacement. This is why so many do not stray far from what they are comfortable with unless it's an emergency and they HAVE to replace the head or heads.

Many of these drummers never had any formal lessons or direct "one on one" formal education on what a really greatly tuned drum kit should sound like and how they too can achieve these results.

Dennis

A great opportunity for the industry and teachers to train them proper tuning, care & maintenance. Rick

Hi all,

I would like to hear from you on two topics.

1. How often do you change your drumheads? What are the reasons you change them?

2. When you do make the decision that you need make a drumhead purchase, how many do you buy at a single visit to the store or when you order online and why is that the number?

Thanks for participating in this thread.

Rick Drumm

1- I've only been playing for 8 months, well almost 9 now but I'm very particular with sound and I've been experimenting with various heads to match the sound in "my head".

For Toms, I've changed 6 times, which may be excessive but like I said, I'm trying to find a sound and I've switched back and forth between all these heads. I've settled on Aquarian Performance II's and bought Coated Super 2's as well. I was using Evans SST's previously and if the Aquarian heads don't meet my needs, I would probably go back to the EC2's.

2- I have a Fusion Kit so my sizes I've ordered were 10, 12, 14 (except for the G1 + G2 combo which was on my old kit, 12, 13, 16) so typically I would by the fusion pack if available. For the kick I've purchased a 22" emad2 for my old kick, and 20" emad2 for my current kit.

I'm pretty sure once I settle on the sound I want, I won't be changing my heads too often, it gets pretty expensive, the good thing is I have all these heads I can go back and forth on! hahahaha!

The sound is usually the reason I change a head. A head that's been used a bit tends to sound best, but there's also a point where its elasticity starts to wane, and prevents it from vibrating as well as it used to, meaning it loses its tone, and that's very apparent to my ear.

Some heads get changd less often, simply because they aren't getting the same kind of use and wear as other heads. That is, a reso lasts a lot longer for me than the batter on that same drum. On my toms, I may change the resos every year or two, or longer. The snare side head takes a lot of impact when the snare is played (from its hoop which takes a lot of shock from the stand's 'basket') coupled with the need to freally vibrate well to activate the wires, will get changed more often, always depending on how frequently that snare gets used.

For me, kick resos rarely get changed. The size of the head and the relatively low tuning allows it to stay elastic pretty much forever. I've received 50+ year old vintage kits with original kick front heads, and they sound like they must have when new.

I try to keep the heads on-hand that I would need for any of the kits I use. That's typically one head for each type and size I use, and perhaps a few extra snare batters, simply because I tend to change those heads most often, and usually need fresh heads when I buy a used snare.

For touring, I bring up to 12 snare/tom head packs - 12/13/14/16, nested to conserve space - because those heads have to be available when I need them, and without having to track down a music store on a Sunday, in the middle of nowhere.

I used to keep just one set of heads with me on tour, because that's all I needed when it came time to change. ASAP after that, I would find a music store and get replacement heads for the next time. But I also found that I couldn't always get to a store, and that all stores didn't have the heads I needed - 12, 13, 14 & 16" - as unbelievable as that may sound. So I learned to bring a supply of heads right from the start, just like the big boys!

Bermuda

Tom resos get changed fairly infrequently on my kit, so they are almost out of the equation - maybe every two years? Tom batter heads get changed 2-3 times a year depending on how frequently I've gigged. Snare batter heads get changed roughly every two weeks, again depends on the gigs. I like to change that head as soon as it starts to lose tone, and that doesn't take too long for me. I don't use a really tight snare batter, and I like it to sustain, so my needs may be different from someone who tunes very tight and likes a very dry sound. Bass drum batter gets changed perhaps every two years.

As for how many heads at a time - I usually order my heads online since I don't live close to a good music store. I usually order 5-10 snare heads and 2 of each tom head. I want them to last a while before I reorder.

I find in a majority of cases concerning young drummers and many not so young, that they have a definite fear of turning the tension rods of their drums. This might sound ridiculous, but many drummers will take the position that the drums might still sound "alright" even though they're in desperate need of tuning or head replacement. This is why so many do not stray far from what they are comfortable with unless it's an emergency and they HAVE to replace the head or heads.

Or maybe, and I know this is not the answer you want to hear, it could like an old codger like me. We're cheap! :)

Hey foolios.

I would like to change my heads as often as 3 or 4 months but my finances dictate otherwise!!!!!! Plus I am getting married soon which will have an effect on how often I change my heads (well, maybe...my wife to be is pretty freakin sweet).

So, realistically, I change my heads anywhere between 9 and 16 months, I believe when I got my Studio X's I posted about it on this forum and that was at least a year ago.

( http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66351 )

I also think about buying different heads when I get bored with the sound I have on my kit and have a chirping urge to smuggle some new skins.

Generally I will research different heads for months before actually pulling the trigger on one. I don't believe I have found "my head" (I still go loco from time to time, sorry, pardon the pun), and if I did find the perfect head, I don't think I would be happy to just settle on it and buy it every time I changed heads (that's just boring). I have found some that I favor over the others, though.

As for my research, I will read Musicians' Friend reviews, look and ask questions on forums like this (sometimes about multiple heads, it gets tedious but it's free and I love these things they call message boards), visit the manufacturer's website to see what they say about the technology of the head and what styles it's for, and finally I will try to find videos on youtube demonstrating the head so I can really hear what it sounds like.

HOWEVER! When watching those "head" videos, I don't like company product demonstrations. I find them to be innacurate. I want a live microphone set up in a room somewhere (NOT hooked on the drum) and some guy testing it in a real world situation - not some fancy, preppy production like Remo does with their Ambassadors and Emperors, etc. Even if there's room noise or whatever, I don't care. Just make it real and no fancy compression or any of that junk. That's fine to hear what it sounds like mic'd but that's not what I hear when I play.

Once I've chosen a head type I will either buy one from a store (if I can get to the nearest Guitar Center as there is no stores like that around here, aw shucks), or if I am confident that the head will deliver what I need I will jump ship and take the whole stash of them for my kit. Either then I am disappointed or delightfully enthused. From that point forward I determine what I actually like and dislike in heads.

And from my research I have determined that Evans makes a competetive head for the consumer drumming community.

Not my favorite (!) though I could not say I favor any particular brand. One thing I will say that speaks volumes about your company there sir, is that I have never played an Evans head that I disliked. There was always *something* that I could grab from any one of the head choices I have played on. I can't say the same about Remo, there have been some real stinkers with those gentlemens. I can feel confident that when I choose an Evans head, that though it may not be my perfect cup of tea, I won't regret the purchase entirely and sickeningly trudge my way through the life of the head.

I say good job. But product demos would be nice!

I am of the school that says that heads shouldn't be replaced unless they are worn and suffering from deadness.
I have never bought into the "change heads frequently even if they are sounding good" nonsense.
I know what a good head sounds like and I don't replace them for no reason.
I also like drumheads best when they are somewhere in the middle of their life.

The last set of EC2 clears were on my kit for over a year and still sounded great, no dents or dead sounding toms. I changend them because of a recording session and I wanted 100% new sounding heads. I have changed a reso or two because of damage from other people helping me tear down, a simple scar or dent in a reso can ruin a head's performance and ability to tune (I discovered this recently) what a PAIN!

I usually change ALL batters (5 total) and run resos well past a year or more.

Note: I have only been able to get this type of head life from Evans drum heads, 25+ years with Evans and no need to look anywhere else.

For me it's either worn off coating on G2's or rrealy bad sound. If I replace tom heads, I do them all at once. I have made 2 changes in the last year and the next will be my clear G1's on the reso side. They are about due. And why would you beg for free stuff, even though as Bob said, most of us already got ours, when we have an expert answering questions on a daily basis without hounding us to buy his product. As the Mayor, I appreciate the visits from the Prez.

I am of the school that says that heads shouldn't be replaced unless they are worn and suffering from deadness.
I have never bought into the "change heads frequently even if they are sounding good" nonsense.
I know what a good head sounds like and I don't replace them for no reason.
I also like drumheads best when they are somewhere in the middle of their life.

This best describes me as well.

Disclaimer... My Yamaha Recording Customs are covered in Evans while my Sonor Jungle is covered in Fiberskyns (batters and reso's). Both my snares are Fiberskyns as well.

I've used a couple Genera Dry's on snares and don't really like it for the style of music I play. Then again, in the right setting, I'm sure they are just fabulous.

Ultimately I find little to no difference between Remo & Evans. Both produce quality sounds and I enjoy all of it. If Evans made Fiberskyns, I might try them too....

1. How often do you change your drumheads? What are the reasons you change them?

I'm a fairly light jazz/funk player and as a result heads can last me 2 + years. Mostly the snare drum batter goes first. Not sure when the last year was I changed a snare reso head. Perhaps a decade. It's been decades since I last broke or even pitted a head of any kind.

Reason would be if they are no longer sounding good or my taste has changed. If something comes along where I feel like I must try something new, I might bite on the marketing ploy and try it. It's rare though.

2. When you do make the decision that you need make a drumhead purchase, how many do you buy at a single visit to the store or when you order online and why is that the number?

I always make my first shopping stop at my local 5 Star Drum Shop. Much to my dismay, the balance I order someplace online. I have found it impossible to get 16" bass drum heads locally. I'd rather give my cash to my local mom/pop drum shop than anywhere else. They work extremely hard to keep a quality shop and pay their bills.

Snare head: gets changed when I can't tune it up anymore. When I pull it off, it generally resembles a bowl, and you can see it just didn't have anymore to give. On occasion, I'll break a head, but not to often. I change the bottom snare head roughly every three top heads.

Tom heads: When they are either too dented or just dead sounding. I like to replace all toms heads at once, even if the wear is not necessarily even (and rarely is).
The exception is if I'm going to be recording, then I change them all regardless of how much life may or may not be in them.

Bass drum: pretty rarely to be honest. I always use a patch of some sort, so that helps protect from denting/damage. And with a self muffling head, it can take a while to notice the head has gone dead.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback.

On another note, I'm playing Sept. 16 & 17 in Chicago at Andy's Jazz Club with Frank Catalano. If you're in the Chicago area, please come by and say hello. Rick Drumm

i play my drum heads untill they break. when i go to the store to by drum heads i only buy the drum heads that i need.

I do not remember the last time I broke a drumhead. I change them when I feel as though they need it. I usually buy one to five at a time, depending on which drum(s) needs a new head. It also depends on my finaces. I do not change bass drum or snare reso heads very often. I have played drumset since 1969. Peace and goodwill.

I change my heads when the tone of them is completely destroyed by nylon streaks covering the head, giving clear heads an almost coated feel, so not often. Or if desperately seek a different sound.

I have to say EvansPrez, when I use Evans they only last about two months though.. Where my Aquarians last at least 6, and when I use Remo's they only last two days before I go out and buy different heads.

Anyways, I usually buy 1 head at a time(for snare of bass drum) or 4(for my toms).

Hi Pat, what Aquarian, Remo head models are you using and what Evans have you tried? Rick

I change my heads when the tone of them is completely destroyed by nylon streaks covering the head, giving clear heads an almost coated feel, so not often. Or if desperately seek a different sound.

I have to say EvansPrez, when I use Evans they only last about two months though.. Where my Aquarians last at least 6, and when I use Remo's they only last two days before I go out and buy different heads.

Anyways, I usually buy 1 head at a time(for snare of bass drum) or 4(for my toms).

Hi Pat, what Aquarian, Remo head models are you using and what Evans have you tried? Rick
I'm using Aquarian Super2-with studio-x on the toms right now, Remo, I've used Pinstripes and Ambassadors, and that was enough for me.
I've had Evans Ec2 hazy coated on my snare(what I have on my snare now) and G1 Genera coated on my snare before that. I also have played drums (but not owned)with Ec2 on the batter and G1 on resonant.

Personally, I love the sounds I've gotten through Evans but the durability is something I can't get past, my old G1 Genera head lasted, a little less than two months. And the Ec2 I have on now has been on for about 4 months, but changing it has been long over-due. And I'm not exactly he hardest hitter in the world either.

Personally, I love the sounds I've gotten through Evans but the durability is something I can't get past, my old G1 Genera head lasted, a little less than two months. And the Ec2 I have on now has been on for about 4 months, but changing it has been long over-due. And I'm not exactly he hardest hitter in the world either.

How often do you play? You shouldn't be wearing out heads that fast.

Back