Wich head to choose and what is the best ambient temperature?

jfaudette

Hi everybody,

I just broke my floor tom’s head and I think it’s because it’s a little bit cold in my garage. The temperature is about 17°C. My question is: "What is the best temperature to be sure not to break the skin and to maximise the performance?

Also, I have to change my floor tom’s skin and I think I'm going to change all my heads except my bass drum (Evans Emad clear with a foam ring). I've got a DW collector series, a Maple 6 Ply or 8... I don’t remember. I play Dave Matthews band, rock, hardcore, etc. Which kind of skin is the best for my style and my drum?

Thanx a lot!

Hi everybody,

I just broke my floor tom’s head and I think it’s because it’s a little bit cold in my garage. The temperature is about 17°C. My question is: "What is the best temperature to be sure not to break the skin and to maximise the performance?

Also, I have to change my floor tom’s skin and I think I'm going to change all my heads except my bass drum (Evans Emad clear with a foam ring). I've got a DW collector series, a Maple 6 Ply or 8... I don’t remember. I play Dave Matthews band, rock, hardcore, etc. Which kind of skin is the best for my style and my drum?

Thanx a lot!
I think that the head must have just been worn. I don't think that the temp was the problem.
Mylar is not that affected by that level of cold.
As far as which head goes, Have fun experimenting, Its almost endless.

Hi everybody,

Thanx a lot!

A temperature of 17 degrees did not contribute in any meaningful way to the head breaking. It's simply not cold enough. You would have to freeze a head and make it brittle, which means temperatures below zero Celsius.

For your heads, recommend clear Emperors or G2s for batters, with Ambassador or G1 resos.

Back