Evans G1 or G2? Clear or Coated?

nsfalgout

Hey guys. I am in need of some new heads for my toms. I play a PDP FS (birch) kit. For my style, I pretty much play everything. Jazz, funk, rock, etc. I need a nice all around batter head for my toms that will be versatile for all types of music. I don't use mics on my kit as I don't do gigs that big. So, the question is G1s or G2s? And clear or coated? Right now, I am leaning toward G2 clear, but I'd like to hear some input from more experienced people. Thanks!

I've been asking this very question my whole life. At least you know you want Evans heads.

I use clear one-ply heads with studio rings over stock clear resos for the toms on one kit, and coated two-ply heads over clear one-ply heads on another kit. The first has a balanced attack, medium sustain, and slightly dark tone. If you go just G1 clear over clear Genera resos, you'll get something similar, but with a longer sustain and more defined attack. Add some rings and you'll get a more balanced attack like on my kit. The other kit has a more defined attack with a warmer, focused tone, and the sustain is slightly longer. If you go with G2 coated over Genera resos, you'll get similar results.

I remember when shopping for heads on my sonor kit (also birch) the guys at the store all recommended 2 ply.

You can't go wrong with a g2 really.

Just put some fresh emperors on my kit after trailing some other heads and I really missed them.

Thanks guys! I think I will go with a G2 then probably clear so it would work with most music. I heard that for live playing 1 ply heads are better? So would that mean a 2 ply head might sound dead to the audience?

Thanks guys! I think I will go with a G2 then probably clear so it would work with most music. I heard that for live playing 1 ply heads are better? So would that mean a 2 ply head might sound dead to the audience?

Not at all mate. Whilst 2 ply heads are naturally just that little bit more focused, they're still a viable option and a choice used by hundreds of thousands of drummers the world over. A run of the mill 1 or 2 ply heads, with no other added dampening, are still by far the most common choice of batter head.

Ah, alright thanks. So the G2 would be the more versatile option correct? And I am still a little confused about whether coated or clear would be good for all types of music.

Ah, alright thanks. So the G2 would be the more versatile option correct? And I am still a little confused about whether coated or clear would be good for all types of music.

Both very versatile.....hence why they're the most common choice of heads. The 2 ply just gives a bit of added durability is all. But it is not quite as open sounding as a result.

The coated or clear question is an age old conundrum that will never be definitively answered. Hence why many players, myself included, have tended to switch back and forth over the years. The coater head offers a rounder and warmer tone, while a little more attack is apparent in the clears.

I tend to suggest newer players start with a clear 2 ply batter head as that will work for pretty much everything and you can then get a little more selective as your ear develops.

Back