How To Unscrew Broken Pedal Screw?

godsmack96

Hey guys. I got a double-bass pedal a little less that two weeks ago. I was really tightening each of the screws a couple days ago, to make sure they wouldn't loosen. And when I got to the screw connecting the main pedal attached to the bass drum to the bar connected to the separate pedal, it snapped..the part that broke off was the part that is the head that is tightened by the drum key, and I have an extra screw for it, I'm just not sure how to get it out. Is there any way to unscrew the broken part of the screw?

Hey guys. I got a double-bass pedal a little less that two weeks ago. I was really tightening each of the screws a couple days ago, to make sure they wouldn't loosen. And when I got to the screw connecting the main pedal attached to the bass drum to the bar connected to the separate pedal, it snapped..the part that broke off was the part that is the head that is tightened by the drum key, and I have an extra screw for it, I'm just not sure how to get it out. Is there any way to unscrew the broken part of the screw?

You can maybe use an easy-out screw extractor. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=221954427&sellerid=16881584

Not sure how small the screw is that you're referring to, but I'm sure you can check it out at the hardware store or whatever.

Unless there is sufficient metal for you get a pair of vise grips on, what you'll need to do is precisely drill the center of the bolt that is remaining in the shaft. After doing this, an "easy out" should work on removing what's left of the bolt. This had to be done to a bass drum tom mount that I have.

Dennis

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I had a really basic idea when it happened, to try and super-glue the broken head back to the broken part still in the pedal. But I'm afraid that might be TOO basic to work, that the super-glue would break WAY too easily. That may be just the beginner drummer talking, but, things tend to work through trial and error..

That might work with a much larger surface area, like the guy hanging from an I beam with a metal helmet in the early Krazy glue commercials, but for the very limited surface area involved with the diameter of the headed bolt, the least little torque from the drum key would have them separated in seconds. It's gotta be replaced.

If you don't have the tools or confidence in doing this yourself, I would just take it to a metal shop. It should just cost you a couple of dollars.

Dennis

If you know anyone with a dremmel tool you can use a small cut off wheel and put a grove in the top so you can screw it out with a screwdriver. Depending on how much you got sticking up you may have cut into the the sides of the plate a bit to get a good enough slot but thats ok it wont hurt the functionality .

You can also buy a left handed drill bit that will spin out a screw once you drill into it far enough to create enough friction to make it turn.

The only problem with easy outs is that they are hardened steel and are a bit brittle and small ones have a tendency to break fairly easily, then you have a bigger mess cause you cant drill them. As an auto mechanic instructor I only recommend easy outs as a last resort and personally dont even own them anymore as they have got me into more trouble in the past than their worth.

Another trick I have used is to get a nut with the hole just a hair bigger than the broken bolt and set over top of the bolt and go inside the nut with a mig welder and weld the top of the bolt to the inside of the nut let it cool and then you can put a wrench on the nut and turn it out.

Last edited:
If you know anyone with a dremmel tool you can use a small cut off wheel and put a grove in the top so you can screw it out with a screwdriver. It will cut into the the sides a bit but it wont hurt it. You can also buy a left handed drill bit that will spin out a screw once you drill into it far enough to create enough friction to make it turn.

this works great, slot the bolt if there is enough to work with. If the bolt is recessed where the hole is and you need to drill it out. Get a good left hand drill bit and drill very, very slowly in the center it should lock-up and back out the screw.

I had to re-tap mine and just went 1/4-20 with socket head cap screws.

Back