head advice

moojii

hey

in the past i have always used remo heads but on my new kit i decided to go evans.

now the snare sounds great with a genera over the stock reso.

the bass is awesome with an emad over the stock reso.

i then put gplus coated over g1 clear on my 12" and 16' toms and however i tune them they sound awful....no attack or sustain...a "ooom" instead of a "doooooom"...no projection at all.

i wanna change the gplus but keep the g1 reso...do i go for a g1 or g2 for batter?

my kit is a mapex meridian birch!

hey

in the past i have always used remo heads but on my new kit i decided to go evans.

now the snare sounds great with a genera over the stock reso.

the bass is awesome with an emad over the stock reso.

i then put gplus coated over g1 clear on my 12" and 16' toms and however i tune them they sound awful....no attack or sustain...a "ooom" instead of a "doooooom"...no projection at all.

i wanna change the gplus but keep the g1 reso...do i go for a g1 or g2 for batter?

my kit is a mapex meridian birch!

I'm a Remo man myself, but I've worked with Evans. You might try Clear G2's or EC2's.

Good luck!!

-Kyle

I use G1 for a more open sound and the G2 for a more controled deeper sound. Pretty much the basic differences between a single and a double ply head. Did the set come with 1s or 2s on it? Doc

I use G1 for a more open sound and the G2 for a more controled deeper sound. Pretty much the basic differences between a single and a double ply head. Did the set come with 1s or 2s on it? Doc

it came with remo branded ut on batter and reso

Try the G2 for more sustain. Coated will be a little warmer and rounder, clear will be just slightly crisper.

i have just put the original remo ut on the batter side over the g1's and although the sound isn't perfect it is a million miles better than the gplus on batter!

maybe the thicker gplus choked my drums...anybody else had this?

i am thinking g2's will choke them too with them being 2 ply??

might go for g1 over g1! but, coated or clear?

anyone else playing g1 over g1???

A well tuned 2 ply head will not choke a drum.......regardless of whether it's a G2 or an Emperor. Two ply heads provide a little more focus than single ply, but they still sing out.

As for single ply batter and reso.....a very popular head combo, but then so is a 2 ply over 1 ply. You've always used Remo, what did you prefer when you used them....single over single or double over single? There's not that much difference tonally between Evans and Remo.....go with what you've liked in the past.

Coated or clear? Now that's the eternal question........

If you can't get good sustain out of a single ply head like a G+, maybe you're just having trouble tuning? There's no reason they shouldn't work well.

In my experience, more times than not, if a person buys new heads for their kit and truely believe they made a bad choice, the bad choice usually turns out to be their tuning. I've proven this to many individuals.

If someone is replacing their stock heads that are pitted or just worn out, just about any new head combination will be a vast improvement, again particularly if they are knowledgeable with being able to tune.

On a couple of of my kits I do use single ply over single ply heads. On my Yamaha drums I use an Evans G1 coated over a G1 clear. On the DW's I use a coated Ambassador over a coated Ambassador.

You really have to figure exactly what type of sound you want from your kit and then fine tune it with your head selection and most importantly the tuning. I really can't express enough the priority of leaning to effectively tune drums, it's what makes "your" sound.

Dennis

cheers for the help and advice guys...maybe it is my tuning...but i have tuned the stock ut up ok...maybe was a duff head on the 12"?

used to have ambs over diplomats

so evans equivalent is what??

so evans equivalent is what??

G1 is the Evans equivalent of an Ambassador. Check with the Evans website, but I believe that the Genera Resonant and Resonant Glass are both 7.5mil heads.....that puts them at the same thickness as a Diplomat. I have no experience with the Evans Resonant heads though mate. I'm merely using the numbers to guide me. I'm sure someone who's actually used them will be able to offer more.

Last edited:
About a year and a half ago I had G-Pluses on my Gretsch 80's gum maple 12 and 16 toms and they sounded fine.

However, I did miss a bit of the attack and a slight difference in tone the 2 ply G2's gave me that I had used before.

I have Aquarian coated Super-2's on there now and they sound great. A bit more high end than the G Pluses but it's a really minor difference to my ears.

A suggestion: I would get any head that is stock off of the kit and replace it with an off the shelf head.

Like others have suggested you may want to play with tuning for a while but if it's not working, some G2's, Super 2's or Emperors might be the ticket for batters.

Jim

The Genera resonate is a great head.
it is 10 ply but it is brighter sounding than a standard G1. I like it on my mounted toms.
The EC resonate is also a great head. I like it on my floor toms.

narrowed it down to...

coated g1 over g1
clear g1 over g1
clear g1 over resonant glass

but which one??

You can read the all the specs and ask for advice until the end of time but at some point you're going to have to pick a set up and try them for yourself. The only way you're really going to find out what a particular head combo sounds like on your drums is to try them.

The difference is sound between clear and coated batter or 10-mil or 7-mil reso is small enough I wouldn't overthink the choice too much.

I like the way single-ply heads sound on tom batters, but I dent them up too fast. So I use double-ply heads on tom batters, usually Evans clear G2's. One of my sets and the set at church have clear EC2's on the batters, and I like them too. Peace and goodwill.

narrowed it down to...

coated g1 over g1
clear g1 over g1
clear g1 over resonant glass

but which one??

Tried those combinations and found the studio x over classic clear alot better and lasted much, much longer, but thats just my opinion.

Tried those combinations and found the studio x over classic clear alot better and lasted much, much longer, but thats just my opinion.
I have also used this combination of Studio-X over Classic clear.
I like the Aquarian heads.
I find that the Evans EC coated are slightly warmer than the Aquarian Coated Studio-X.
I find that the Evans Clear G1 reso is slightly brighter than the Aquarian Classic Clear reso.

The Evans EC clear reso is real special.

Back