Tommy Aldridge

Tommy IMHO is the only drummer that comes close too Bonham when it comes too

playing with just your hands. One of my fav's.

Bonzolead

Yep, he addressed that. He said he played at home that way to keep the sound down. He is very articulate at hands-only. There is a section on playing with hands as well.

I personally, won't hurt myself trying it.

Yep, he addressed that. He said he played at home that way to keep the sound down. He is very articulate at hands-only. There is a section on playing with hands as well.

I personally, won't hurt myself trying it.
I'm dating myself I used too have that on VHS (Yes VHS) and watched that many times I

love the conga roll trick he does by rolling his fingers across his thumb.totally cool.

Bonzolead

I'm dating myself I used too have that on VHS (Yes VHS) and watched that many times I

love the conga roll trick he does by rolling his fingers across his thumb.totally cool.

Bonzolead

I still have Steve Gadd, Simon Phillips, Mike Portnoy and Dennis Chambers drum videos on VHS....

Joe Franco is another guy I've heard a little about but should do more research on. Any key records with him to look into?

Vinny Moore's 2nd albums had Joe Franco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Odyssey_(album)

Tommy Aldridge played on his 1st album.

Both are instrumental rock albums (from the 80's shred days).

My favorite Aldridge recording is Project Driver album Tommy put together; sort of like Whitesnake on speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Driver

I used to have all these albums on tape. I keep meaning to re-buying them on CD.

I first saw him playing with the Pat Travers Band in San Diego. Since then I've seen him at 2 drum clinics, with Ozzy, Ted Nugent and Whitesnake. He has been one of my favorite drummers since I first saw him. I actually got to hang out with him at a N.A.M.M. show for a couple of hours, had dinner and such. Really cool cat.

ah, Tommy Aldridge, got hip to him back in the early 70's with Black Oak Arkansas and the Raunch N Roll album. Just a fine fine drummer! I've got quite a few CD's of numerous band with Tommy on drums and he's always kickin' butt and takin' names.

Someone mentioned Joe Franco and I got to see Joe with the Good Rats back in the day and they were a great band. Joe was solid with impressive chops. Check out his drum solo on the Good Rats Live at Last album, if you can find it for a reasonable price. He's also on some Vinnie Moore albums which are worth checking out. Vinnie's a badass on guitar!

I never had the chance to meet Tommy personally, but his drum-work on Ozzy Osbourne "Speak of the Devil" is amazing!!! and his freelance work, as well.

Cheers,

I've always like his playing. I have a pat travers album from around 1980 that he is on.
It has "snorting whiskey and drinking cocaine" and 'born under a bad sign" plus the famous 'is this love" great drumming and guitar playing.

one thing i'm not happy about with Tommy, and this is not a criticism, but more of an observation, but his rack toms are so large that you can't see him head on. Just hair and arms flying.
he seems to sit really low. I think when he was with Whitesnake in the '80s he played 14" and 15" power rack toms and you just couldn't see the guy.
I wonder why the band members or management didn't do something?
maybe even have him go back to one 14" er between the the 2 bass drums to get it down in height.
IDK.

I too have the VHS tape of him that I bought in 1990. Super great rock drummer.

I bought and still own his double-bass workout VHS tape. It opens with the ever-famous solo, and even breaks down the open-handed parts. I watched that tape like a hundred times.

Mikkey Dee!

Hey guy´s ouçam motorhead - sacrifice + drum solo (live).mpg
unbelievable..
youtube

@ucho the drummer in that video of Motorhead is Mickey Dee, not Tommy Aldridge. Aldridge played for their record "March or Die". Motorhead's original drummer, Phil Taylor, was fired because he did not learn the drum tracks for the song "I Ain't No Nice Guy" (with Ozzy and Slash). Tommy Aldridge recorded most of the material on the album, and Mikkey Dee recorded "Hellraiser", a song originally written by Lemmy for Ozzy Osbourne's No More Tears album.

Criminally underrated. He did the high-speed, high-energy drum solos back when they were unique. And, to listen to his playing, he hasn't lost a thing over the years.

Some vintage Tommy is coming to DVD this summer:

http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/26604/menuid/1/tempidx/1/link/1

On July 17, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release "Speak Of The Devil" on DVD by OZZY OSBOURNE in North America.

This show was filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12, 1982 a......The lineup for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

"Speak Of The Devil" track listing:

01. Over The Mountain
02. Mr Crowley
03. Crazy Train
04. Revelation (Mother Earth)
05. Steal Away (The Night)
06. Suicide Solution
07. Guitar / Drum Solo
08. Goodbye To Romance
09. I Don't Know
10. Believer
11. Flying High Again
12. Iron Man
13. Children Of The Grave
14. Paranoid

in 1989 I was in 7th grade and my friend brought over the first VHS drum instructional video Tommy did. We must have watched that thing 1000 times over the next few years. His playing was great, but that sound he was getting out of those Yamaha's was the best I'd heard. If anyone knows this video, do you remember when he described himself as "a rock pig on pizza"? My friend and I still reference that.

Back