Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

Yeah, he's his second cousin. God created Jesus to try and make a better drummer, but failed.

does anyone know anything about vinnie's practicing methods / routines which he used in his formative years?
thanks.

Well, I remember reading somewhere that he used to practise in 7 for hours sometimes...

aside from vinnie's monster chops, he's definitely loves the Lord. and he's not afraid to express his belief. that has impressed me as much as his talent.i hope he writes a book on his conversion to Christianity,that would be of interest to me.

After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways. On the other hand Dave's & Steve's solos were nicley put together and had some sort of feel to them that it was like they had an identity. That said I dont think Vinnie is a bad drummer by any means, obviously he knows how to play, but I think I could find a drummer from every town in the world that i'd enjoy listening to more than Vinnie.

PS- Somthing that pissed me off in the battle was that after everytime Vinnie did his little solo, the fans allways cheered, but when Dave or Steve did, they didn't. I'm pretty sure the reason for this is because ignorant people who dont play the drums can only appreciate speed and can't appreactate the works of art displayed by the other two drummers.

Buddha said:
After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways. On the other hand Dave's & Steve's solos were nicley put together and had some sort of feel to them that it was like they had an identity. That said I dont think Vinnie is a bad drummer by any means, obviously he knows how to play, but I think I could find a drummer from every town in the world that i'd enjoy listening to more than Vinnie.

PS- Somthing that pissed me off in the battle was that after everytime Vinnie did his little solo, the fans allways cheered, but when Dave or Steve did, they didn't. I'm pretty sure the reason for this is because ignorant people who dont play the drums can only appreciate speed and can't appreactate the works of art displayed by the other two drummers.
Yeah man, well they cheered because VINNIE TOTALLY MURDERED! He knows what people want and they cheer when he does it. And o my god, you think vinnie plays the same thing all the time because you DO NOT understand rhythmic theory. He is so far out there, that I guarantee none of us are even comprehending 100% of what hes doing when hes even just bouncing a few quarter notes.

brittc89 said:
Yeah man, well they cheered because VINNIE TOTALLY MURDERED! He knows what people want and they cheer when he does it. And o my god, you think vinnie plays the same thing all the time because you DO NOT understand rhythmic theory. He is so far out there, that I guarantee none of us are even comprehending 100% of what hes doing when hes even just bouncing a few quarter notes.

I doubt the majority of the people in the audience understands alot about drumming, which tells me the only reason why they cheered is becase vinnie was fast and exuded more energy.

One question though, you say all Vinnies solos are the same thing, yet you say nothing when gadd starts crazy army? He might as well have just started laying down 50 ways while he was at it.

Buddha said:
I doubt the majority of the people in the audience understands alot about drumming, which tells me the only reason why they cheered is becase vinnie was fast and exuded more energy.

Yeah, I doubt the majority of the audience knew anything about drumming that night. I mean, why would a buch of drummers show up at that concert? Obviously they were only cheering because Vinnie is just all speed.

Vinnie and "lack of creativity"? I find it amazing that those would be words to describe him. What a wide world of drumming we live in.

toteman2 said:
Yeah, I doubt the majority of the audience knew anything about drumming that night. I mean, why would a buch of drummers show up at that concert? Obviously they were only cheering because Vinnie is just all speed.

Vinnie and "lack of creativity"? I find it amazing that those would be words to describe him. What a wide world of drumming we live in.

If the audience was full of drumming guru's then they would've cheered all of the drummers just about equally.

When it comes to Vinnie's lack fo creativity I'm talking specifically about his solos. For the most part I hear a continuous pattern of quick rolls all over the place. I cant hear many note variations or a strong use of other rudiments in his solo's.....little diversity I guess is what i'm trying to say. Maybe you have a better ear than I do and there are subtleties in Vinnie's solo's that I dont notice, but I still don't like the way he plays.

The difference between Gadd's and Vinnie's solos are that Gadd solo's have a oddity to them while maintaining a sound "feel", they're actually somthing I can internalize and admire. With Vinnie, I just cant really admire his style of soloing like I can with most other drummers. So I guess we are arguing a difference of tastes. And i'll admit that like everyone els, I can be biased towards things I dont like:)

Buddha said:
Take a look back at part 2 of the Gadd Weckl Colaiuta battle

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/gaddwecklcolaiuta2.html

If everyone thiks what Vinnie does in the video is more creative and clean than what Gadd and Weckl do then I guess i'm just from a different planet.
Man, Gadds just playing what he always does. And dont get me wrong, he rocks at that, but by no means is that wildly more creative than vinnie.

Buddha said:
After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is.

Wow - you seem to know a whole lot about Vinne. Actually, you sound like a Vinnie-professional! You've already checked out at least 5 Vids with Vinnie - thats amazing. I am blown away by the amount of research you've put into that one post. Great. Keep it up!

Buddha said:
All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways.

Hey - you're not only a Vinnie-listening professional, but also a professional drummer! How else would you be able to analize Vinnies solos so deeply just by watching them a few times?? Maybe you should give Vinnie your number so that he will be able to take a lesson with you. I'm sure that you can tell him interesting things about Groove and Feel. But I have to warn you: You will not succeed in turning him into a creative person. He is just not it, but who am I telling this to? You knew about this already for sure!

Buddha said:

Yeah.... It is a real pitty that you were not there. You would have showed these ignorant fools in the audience!

I'm asking myself: Why the hell do I even bother about your post? It is just so amazingly wrong and plain arrogant.... wow! I've said this in a few other threads before, but it is actually people like you that make me hate this board and that make me want to leave it.

Look, this could be such a cool place: People sharing their knowledge and their passion for drumming and and for drummers. People sharing. People getting into positive discussions. But what happens way too often is, that people who have nothing to say or to add to threads just throw in their nonsense to start off discussions or to provoke other people. Why cannot everybody just accept it, when people - like Vinnie or any other great drummer - do great things on the drums?? Is your self-esteem really that low that your afraid to admit that other people are actually better than yourself or your personal heroes??

I just don't get it. There is so much greatness in this world. Why not just enjoy it, maybe - if you like - learn from it and be real happy about it?

Maybe some people just have to get a few years older.

Sticktrick said:
Wow - you seem to know a whole lot about Vinne. Actually, you sound like a Vinnie-professional! You've already checked out at least 5 Vids with Vinnie - thats amazing. I am blown away by the amount of research you've put into that one post. Great. Keep it up!

Hey - you're not only a Vinnie-listening professional, but also a professional drummer! How else would you be able to analize Vinnies solos so deeply just by watching them a few times?? Maybe you should give Vinnie your number so that he will be able to take a lesson with you. I'm sure that you can tell him interesting things about Groove and Feel. But I have to warn you: You will not succeed in turning him into a creative person. He is just not it, but who am I telling this to? You knew about this already for sure!

Yeah.... It is a real pitty that you were not there. You would have showed these ignorant fools in the audience!

I'm asking myself: Why the hell do I even bother about your post? It is just so amazingly wrong and plain arrogant.... wow! I've said this in a few other threads before, but it is actually people like you that make me hate this board and that make me want to leave it.

Look, this could be such a cool place: People sharing their knowledge and their passion for drumming and and for drummers. People sharing. People getting into positive discussions. But what happens way too often is, that people who have nothing to say or to add to threads just throw in their nonsense to start off discussions or to provoke other people. Why cannot everybody just accept it, when people - like Vinnie or any other great drummer - do great things on the drums?? Is your self-esteem really that low that your afraid to admit that other people are actually better than yourself or your personal heroes??

I just don't get it. There is so much greatness in this world. Why not just enjoy it, maybe - if you like - learn from it and be real happy about it?

Maybe some people just have to get a few years older.

First of all i'm not critisizing Vinnie drumming as a whole, I am critisizing his solo's which I find boring and uncreativive compared to the other great drummer in the world (Gadd, Weckl). And those videos that ive watched quite a few times now obviously represent how Vinnie solos, if I am missing somthing than please enlighten me.
I'm sure of Vinnie can lay down a variety of grooves, just like any drummer who been playing for so many years. In fact I have heard them with my own ears. Vinnie is a very good drummer, but I do not like his style of soloing...that's all i'm saying. If I sounded overly negative than thats my bad.

I'm sorry that you take other peoples opinions and critisisms as a personal attack, and I feel sorry for you that you can only respond with sarcastiuc comments without trying to refute my opinion with a debate. I'm not making an effort to piss people off, i'm just stating how and why i'm not fond of vinnie's style of playing. I still dont see how I am wrong and arrogant. Maybe I come across as very negative, but I am not a negative person at all, if you look outside this thread i've been nothing but positive sinse ive been here.

Man.... We are talking about Vinnie here - there is no room whatsoever for any debate when it comes to his creativity and his Groove and Feel. And btw yes: You came on VERY negative - why should I bother enlightning you, when basically what you said was negative crap?

But do do it: If you really think that his solos are boring / rhythmically not interesting, then obviously you just didn't understand them. Of course - he is playing fast and it is very flashy, but inside all this fast stuff there are such deep rhythmic structures, little metic shifts, use of different note values and phrasings. Just check out some solo-transcriptions of him and you'll find out soon, just how much stuff is in there. All the things that other people are talking about and practising - Vinnie is just doing them.

Why do you think is he the No. 1 Session player in World? Why is every club in LA sold out months before the gig, when Vinnie plays? Why do you see drummers like Weckl, Donati, Phillips or Chmabers at these gigs (and you do see them there and they listen in awe)? Because he cannot solo???? Are these drummers also just ignorant and just want to see speed and flashiness like the audience of the mentioned drum-battle?

If you can say one thing about Vinnie, it is that rhythmically he is probably THE most creative drummer who ever touched the surface of this planet. In solos, in grooves in anything that is related to drumming.

I saw him play very very often and each time I was knocked out. I own dozens of records with him playing on them and I've transcribed tons of them and I still get knocked out when I listen to them again. You just sounded like a guy who watched some Vids and then thinks that he is mr. know-it-all.

Common man, you claimed, that the audience was ignorant (while they cheer the loudest, when Gadd plays the mozambique groove), that Vinnie only played rolls (just plain wrong), has no Feel, Groove and doesn't think about what he is playing.

And then you act surprised when people reply sarcastic and don't refute your points in a debate? Gimme a break.

BTW: You do not have to feel sorry for me. I'm fine, thank you. I'd do better though, if less BS was posted I have to admit.

BTW II: Yes, you are absolutely free to not like Vinnies Solos. You may hate them to death if you like. But it is another thing to claim things that are just wrong because then you are no longer talking about opinions.

BTW III: Just like you, I am a very positive person as you can see by my other posts. After all: Only positive persons around here. Lets chill for the moment.

Buddha said:

lol.. i wonder why ppl would show up at a drum session if they dont understand drumming..
the reason why they cheered is probaly because it sounded damn good :)

Sticktrick said:
Common man, you claimed, that the audience was ignorant (while they cheer the loudest, when Gadd plays the mozambique groove), that Vinnie only played rolls (just plain wrong), has no Feel, Groove and doesn't think about what he is playing.

I know that Vinnie did'nt only play rolls, i'm not that stupid.
I think there's a certain randomness with his solo's in the battle as if he thinks "in what area can I throw my hand next" instead of thinking about what differences about his groove, timing, note variation etc he should integrate in the solo. But maybe you're right and i'm wrong, maybe he is a very creative soloist that I just don't understand yet, but I will still likely never be fond of Vinnie's style.

Well.... If you know that he didn't play only rolls, then just don't write it:

Buddha said:
After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing.

I don't want to be misunderstood here: It is fine not to like his style, but it is another thing to bash people. And that is what you did in your first sentence. If you would have thrown in gan "IMO" somewhere in that passage, everything would have been cool, but that way it sounded like you wanted to claim something like: "Vinnie sucks and everybody around here just doesn't get it, because they are all ignorant fools that only pay attention to speed."

And just for the record: I am a HUGE Vinnie fan, I know. But in this certain battle I like Gadd best. Don't forget: This battle was arranged in a certain way with Gadd beeing something like the Godfather or drumming and his "young and wild children" Weckl and Vinnie playing around Gadds stuff. Both Weckl and Vinnie have Gadd as one of their biggest idols (especially Weckl) and were supposed to be playing fast and flashy. That whole show was layed out that way: Gadd as the groovemaster, the rest playing over it with Weckl beeing the one for the flow and dynamics and Vinnie beeing the one for the crazyness and pure energy. And all of them do their job just right!

Back