washers

grannydrums

I think the head thread is the right place for this.

when my new kit arrived I decide to try the tom heads from my old kit cos i was not happy with the sound.. First time i have ever changed a head and found on my old dw kit there was an extra very thin washer under each lug. My new kit did not have this. I had been having problems on the new kit getting it to tune evenly, so tried using the washers. It realy did seem to help. so the question is--do kits normally have a second washer, did it help with tuning, or was I just getting better at it with more practice

From my experience, all kits have washers.. Maybe this was a factory thing? It only makes sence, to have an even surface to slide on. If the lug ever fetched up in the hoop slot and your twisting, something will have to give.

Most drums only have one metal washer per tension rod to allow the rod to turn easy.
Some use a metal washer and a plastic washer underneath to help prevent the tension rods from loosening.
I think that you probably simply got better at tuning.

I put nylon washers on all of my batter heads because I find it easier to make minute changes to the tension screws when I am tweaking the heads. I leave the metal ones on also.

Back