any help for a hot, fat guy....

This thread was supposed to be about me,me,me...ya bunch o' bums ya...although it has been interesting educating our colonial cousins on how backward we are! I don't know anyone with a/c in their house here though many workplaces now have it...

I'm having a hard time understanding the no-A/C thing. I recall in some places in SoCal, there was no A/C, but it needed it. It is always better to be prepared, than not have something. A/C is one of those things - once it's installed, you don't really pay for its use, unless you need it, then there is no replacing its effects.

Question - when I was there, I had A/C in my hotels and in the cars. Is it only the locals that don't need it?

Pints.....try 'em cold for a change. I know it's a novel approach for you Poms though.

Is there cricket on at the moment? Who knew?
Ho Ho Ho!! I do agree with you about some beers here though; the stuff from the 'tap' in a pub is often room temperature (usually 'bitter') but most of us drink various lagers straight from coolers/fridges these days...
Cricket??..yes, theres a marvellous game on at the moment..England versus....ooh, what were they called.....one of the old colonies...anyways, I should imagine you might get a highlights show on TV at some stage...

I like how you try to correct me on both, but here in America, we refer to petroleum as gas, and your form of liters is incorrect according to my auto correct. I understand that your form of the word, "litres," is correct where you're from. I appreciate the thought, though. Here in America, we learn how to spell both American and British English.
I often wondered about that; whether it was 'American' or 'English' that was spoken 'across the pond', I like that phrasing 'American English' and 'British English'. Clarifies it nicely. Toodle pip old chap (British English for 'Thanks buddy')

I like how you try to correct me on both, but here in America, we refer to petroleum as gas, and your form of liters is incorrect according to my auto correct. I understand that your form of the word, "litres," is correct where you're from. I appreciate the thought, though. Here in America, we learn how to spell both American and British English.

I'm fully aware of all of that. If you're asking this Englishman a question about measurements and substances, use the correct spelling and vocabulary or he's liable to get chippy.

In response to the A/C questions. No, we don't really need it. On some days it would be nice but those days are few and far between. We're just experiencing a heatwave in the UK with temperatures regularly hitting 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) and it's been going on for a couple of weeks (seems to have come to an end where I am) but that is very unusual. We might get three or four days like that in patches every couple of years but an extended period is odd. Humidity is an issue but we don't actually have that much properly hot weather.

You also have to take into account the age of our housing stock. Right now, I'm writing this from a house that was probably built in the late 19th Century. Of the several addresses I've lived in over the last few years, most of them were of a similar age. Where I live, the houses tend to be Victorian, 1930s, 1950s and modern in a distinctive ring around the town centres. There are plenty of houses a few miles away that are as old as the 1450s. Fitting A/C to older properties would be destructive and with our architects being generally quite conservative, A/C is rarely designed to fit even in new houses.

Take into account the expense of fitting, how often we'd use it, the cost of maintenance and the cost of energy and it's just not something that's on our residential radar.

There's a brilliant stand-up comedian (whose name escapes me) who does a whole piece on the formation of the British influence on America being based upon the Puritans. It's hilarious and wonderfully unbalanced.

The American teaching of Independence in 1776 is quite funny though. It wasn't tyranny so much as unfair taxation. In short, the British wanted to charge the colonies for defence by taxing the citizens but the colonies had no representation in Parliament. Unfair? Absolutely. Worth revolting over? Yes. Tyrannical? No.

I also did some rigorous experimenting last night on behalf of Sumo. It turns out that drinking bitter and dancing to live music is not the solution to overheating. My official scientific findings are: hangover.

Not Mike Meyers. Somebody like Eddie Izzard (who I absolutely adore and if you're not familiar with, you must search for).

We may have not had a democratic republic but Britain certainly was a democracy and was amongst the first (if not the first) 'modern' democracies. Inherently flawed with poor suffrage, absolutely but the 19th Amendment in the US wasn't fully ratified until 1984...

Haha, I take a minor curious interest in history. For me, these notations of Nations will mean nothing once extraterrestrials finally proceed to attack for natural resources and world enslavement. Or, they will come in peace. And we will annihilate them and turn their technology into weapons of mass destruction. But in the end, my daily dallies normally just deal with math and science, since I hone a more computational mind.

This is exactly why we need to exhaust all of the world's fossil fuels - to protect our existence.

A big reason my daily driver has over 600HP. I'm doing my part. Are you doing yours?

and by 'hot' I do not mean sexually attractive...its 32+degrees in Lincolnshire, I am sat in the shade outside, watching the Ashes (cricket) on TV thru the open conservatory door. I am wearing a loose training vest and leopardskin thong, I have taken a cool shower and sprayed deodorant on my under boob area, I am drinking a very cold pint of Strongbow cider but I am still too damn hot!!
Any guidance from those in more often hot areas?? cos this is killing me....tho to be honest, its nice that its not raining.....toodles, J

Get a portable fan. and please don't post pictures of the thong! thank you

Haha, I take a minor curious interest in history. For me, these notations of Nations will mean nothing once extraterrestrials finally proceed to attack for natural resources and world enslavement. Or, they will come in peace. And we will annihilate them and turn their technology into weapons of mass destruction. But in the end, my daily dallies normally just deal with math and science, since I hone a more computational mind.

I confuse myself with my interests. I have quite a few. How I ended up working in mental health, I'll never quite work out.

Challenge. We're playing the Lord Trumpington-Smythe rules so you can't jump straight in on 'Mornington Crescent' because there is no 'T' in the month. If we were playing by Henry Chadwick's variations, that's a legitimate move but only if the the Earth is at perihelion.

Honestly, you've never read the rule book have you?

Ackshully, I have. I invoked the 317th amendment - which apparently went RIGHT over your head, as I expected it would.

Sorry lovely, I've been playing this game for decades longer than you.

That said, however, you are wonderful.

Ackshully, I have. I invoked the 317th amendment - which apparently went RIGHT over your head, as I expected it would.

Sorry lovely, I've been playing this game for decades longer than you.

That said, however, you are wonderful.

You know precisely how to flatter me.

The 318th amendment makes your's invalid as it was never ratified in Kent. Kent is my jurisdiction and therefore the edict does not apply. The 318th was ratified nationally and supersedes your petty 317th and means that not only do I win the game, I win the next game and any games numbered as prime therein, this being game one.

The 318th amendment makes your's invalid as it was never ratified in Kent. Kent is my jurisdiction and therefore the edict does not apply. The 318th was ratified nationally and supersedes your petty 317th and means that not only do I win the game, I win the next game and any games numbered as prime therein, this being game one.

I would admit defeat, except for the erroneous apostrophe.

Admit defeat graciously, and be my hero.

What the **** are you on about??

Back