12 in Evans clear G2

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Has anybody ever have an Evans 12in G2 sound dead on and of the drum? I can't get any sustain out of this head compared to the Remo 12in clear Emperor I had on the drum.

Unfortunately, you've gotten a head where the 2 plies of mylar aren't completely flush with each other, causing the head to sound dead....at least that's the explaination I've read from the company reps. Remo has had quite a bit of documented issues about dead emperor heads here on drummerworld and Evans has had a few as well. You can take/send the head back and they should replace it if it hasn't been marked up. As a general rule, if possible, try to take the head out of the box and lightly tap on it. If you hear a nice resonant tone, you got a good drum head. If it sounds dull, you got one like you have now. It's quite common and the "tap test" is well known by 2 ply head users, like me!

Has anybody ever have an Evans 12in G2 sound dead on and of the drum? I can't get any sustain out of this head compared to the Remo 12in clear Emperor I had on the drum.

This is more common with some Evans heads than you might think. I've had 5 (five) G2 heads giving me the same problem in the past few weeks.

Dennis

Surely not?? It flies in the face of everything I read on drum forums. It's a widely reported Drummerworld fact that only Remo could be capable of manufacturing and selling this type of junk. :)

My thoughts on this are, if someone could build a drum head with the inherent sound quality of a Remo head with the resiliency of the coating of an Evans head, I would have to look no further.

We shall call it a Revans head.

Dennis

Yes yes ... take cdrums21 advice! Always the tap test ... takes a second but will save you a ton of hassles. If you do the test in store and get a crappy one, give it to the sales staff ... so they can keep the duds off the sales floor!

Friends don't let friends use dead heads!

This can definitely happen on occasion. Static charge can cause the two plies to attract or repel, thus causing a dead head. Please PM me your mailing address and I'd be happy to send you a replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

This can definitely happen on occasion. Static charge can cause the two plies to attract or repel, thus causing a dead head. Please PM me your mailing address and I'd be happy to send you a replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben
Ben, with respect, it shouldn't get past your QA. If drummers are used to tap testing heads, there's no reason why you're QA staff can't do the same. Dealing with customer replacements is far more expensive than ensuring it doesn't happen in the first place. Then there's future sales damage due to bad experiences to factor in too. It's the customers who walk away from your product & don't complain that are responsible for the biggest loss of sales. These are the hidden costs to your business that the bean counters fail to appreciate. Putting money into tighter QA, & especially when the solution is so simple & low cost, is money very well spent.

However, let me put this into context. In our experience, Evans heads show far less inconsistencies than Remo, by a ratio of around 5:1, but it could be far less with small adjustments to inspection criteria.

My thoughts on this are, if someone could build a drum head with the inherent sound quality of a Remo head with the resiliency of the coating of an Evans head, I would have to look no further.

We shall call it a Revans head.

Dennis

Its already out there its called an Aquarian...lol

Ben

I appreciate the sentiments, but I really have very little confidence with Evans quality control measures in sending me replacement drum heads, especially after receiving five dead G2 heads in the last three weeks. The Five Star shop I visit is graciously exchanging these heads. I returned the two G2 coated heads this past Saturday and they offered to exchange the other three G2 clear heads without my missing sales receipt. The sales person did say that Evans doesn't have any problems with customers returning faulty merchandise. With my most recent experiences, I see this as a good thing.

At least with returning the heads in person, I'm able to do a very basic test on the replacement heads before I again get them home.

Thanks,
Dennis

Ben, with respect, it shouldn't get past your QA. If drummers are used to tap testing heads, there's no reason why you're QA staff can't do the same. Dealing with customer replacements is far more expensive than ensuring it doesn't happen in the first place. Then there's future sales damage due to bad experiences to factor in too. It's the customers who walk away from your product & don't complain that are responsible for the biggest loss of sales. These are the hidden costs to your business that the bean counters fail to appreciate. Putting money into tighter QA, & especially when the solution is so simple & low cost, is money very well spent.

However, let me put this into context. In our experience, Evans heads show far less inconsistencies than Remo, by a ratio of around 5:1, but it could be far less with small adjustments to inspection criteria.

I appreciate your feedback. Producing quality products is paramount to us. The level of detail involved in our designs, processes and review is truly unparalleled. Unfortunately, this issue of "dead heads" is something that can develop over time with any drumhead due to static charge, likely after the head leaves the factory. As I mentioned, I will always replace these heads, though I come across them very rarely.

We're always working on ways to improve the quality, consistency and and longevity of our drumheads. We value customer experience quite highly. That's something that is reflected in our drumhead designs; offering built-in features to manage sustain, overtones, etc. without the need for additional modification, making it easier to achieve a desired sound.

Thank you,
Ben

I don't know if I'm buying this "static charge" thing. I've gotten alot of dead heads over my 37 year span of playing. Mostly Remo, some Evans. Is it really "static charge" or something more? Why do some heads do it and others don't? How exactly would this happen after thre head leaves the factory? If every head that goes out the door is susceptible to this happening, that would be one heck of a crap shoot and nerve racking as a drum head manufacturer. If "static charge" is really the culprit and it can happen to heads after they leave the factory, I'm surprised that this isn't even more widespread. How can it be prevented? I read on here before that there was something you could do involving submersing the head in water to correct the problem and there was a video that was to follow showing this procedure. Any thoughts?

I faced the same problem too on my sonor force 3k7, other drums (8,10,14,16) sounds fine but just the 12 inch sounds dead. Evans G1 clear over G2 clears. Thinking of switching to g plus coateds on toms soon...

I faced the same problem too on my sonor force 3k7, other drums (8,10,14,16) sounds fine but just the 12 inch sounds dead. Evans G1 clear over G2 clears. Thinking of switching to g plus coateds on toms soon...

I would guess that the G2`s on the resonant side would have a lot to do with the deadness.

Tard Aquarians are not available all on Long Island unless you order them.

LedFoot,

You can get some Aquarian heads from the Long Island Drum Center, and if you find yourself in NYC, Steve Maxwell Drums and Sam Ash (just around the corner) carries some, but not a full range.

I do agree with you that they are very difficult to find on or around LI, which is a pain.

So what if I have a dead head and the store doesn't understand that the static charge thing can happen? Will you send replacement heads to New Zealand?

My thoughts exactly! IF I do come across this kind of thing. Will you send it to Malaysia?

Back