Kick Triplets

RodneyZepa

When I was 15 years old I had a leather strap driven kick pedal that was older than the hills and very inexpensive, however, I was able to perform triplets with it (Good Times Bad Times) (I Can't Quit You Babe) very easily, now, with a DW5000 which is probably worth 10 times more than my old piece, I struggle to get that Bonham Kick Triplet...Is there an adjustment that I am just not making either to my pedal or my technique..??..This is driving me nuts...!...Well, it is very frustrating...I was even considering going out and getting a vintage Ludwig pedal that is online, here in town, for $40...Suggestions please..?...

If you still have your old pedal, put it side by side with your 5000 and match the footboard angle. Then match the beater angle on your 5000 with the beater angle on your old pedal. Next get the spring tension on the 5000 the same as your old pedal as best as you can. If that doesn't do it, get a Speed King, or use your old pedal. The DW 5000 really should be up to the task, it's a fast and fairly light pedal IMO.

5000...light?? That beater weighs a ton.

Thank goodness for the option to replace beaters on these hot new fangled pedals, lol. I either use an Iron Cobra CB90F or "powder puff" type beater on my DW5000. To my foot, either one lightens the feel of the pedal, particularly the Tama beater.

Dennis

... with a DW5000 which is probably worth 10 times more than my old piece...

Factoring in inflation, it probably isn't so cheap anymore. And getting a new one sometimes isn't an apples to apples replacement... All kinds of things have changed since the old days.

An old leather strap Camco, or one of the branded ones they made for others, is hard to beat. I would love to find one. Played a bunch of a friends and it's the equal of anything out there unless you're into shoving the beater though the head. I've seen some DW versions, and I have a single chain DW5000 that is really similar to a single chain Camco I just sold. My normal pedal is a double chain 5000 but I put a PureSound beater on it which both has lower mass, and hits the head squarely with the pad. I'm not up to triplets yet, but I can do pretty fast doubles with it.

The pedal you are referring to is either a Gretsch "floating action" pedal or the Camco pedal. Both are excellent pedals. I have a few pedals that I rotate around my sets to make sure I can quickly adapt to various pedals. One is a single chain driven Camco and it is a very quick "no frills" pedal that many regard as one of the best pedals ever.

I also use a DW 6000 Turbo cam pedal, which has the concentric cam. This is a replica of their original pedal which is very much like the Camco in feel. The key to getting any of these "newer" pedals to work is to start off by throwing away the beaters, they are all way way too heavy. I have a lightweight felt beater (a little squishy and I have no idea what brand it is) and this pedal I guarantee will go neck and neck with any pedal out there in terms of speed, sensitivity, power and overall feel.

I also use a Taye PPK401C pedal, once again, throw away the beater and find a light one. These pedals are flat out amazing. I know the person who designed this pedal before it was copied by a couple drum companies. I use pretty light spring tension on all my pedals. I would be more than happy to talk to you about a few other tricks I put into my bass drum pedals if you want to message me. Let me know how you make out.

Back