AKG D112 kick mic

TimmyG

In the studio my AKG D112 sounds wicked. I like it best in the front middle of the front skin. It is a really hot mic and i pick up a lot of moniters and such live. Is there a way to eliminate the extra noise on stage without putting it inside the kick?

Using a gate will work. Set the threshold to be triggered by the kick drum and not ambient noise such as the monitors - which are presumably at a lower level. Alternatively, use in-ear monitors combined with a gate for the best results.

Well last night i put the D 112 inside the kick about 3 inches from the front head facing the beater head. Maby the sound man was a lot better than the guy in my last band but it sounded kick ass. I guess the problem wasn't me. lol

Get the mic about 6" from the batter head looking straight at where the beater hits... it should be the sweet spot. Use IEMS with a butkicker on your stool & save your ears :)

Using a gate will work. Set the threshold to be triggered by the kick drum and not ambient noise such as the monitors - which are presumably at a lower level. Alternatively, use in-ear monitors combined with a gate for the best results.

Yer, I use a noise gate for my kick and its lovely. Cuts out all other sounds it used to pick up e.g. snare wires and floor tom.
I do also use in-ear monitors.

Do those in ear monitors hurt your ears by then end of the night? I have been thinking about playing to a click track onstage but didn't want to go deaf having CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK louder than the band in my ear monitors.

In ear monitors can be really comfy or very uncomfortable depending on how good your mold fits. If youre going to try them, first use a generic driver with a soft rubber bung, this will get you used to actually having something in your ears. Bear in mind that ipod addicts wear similar for hours on end... If you decide to take the plunge & stump up the cash, get your custom molds done at a recommended audiologist who knows about IEM's & not just hearing aids!!!! The mold needs to be an open jaw cast not closed, this means they will still fit if you sing along!! Get the best drivers you can afford - I use Shure E5's for angry dog rock and roll, or my UE10's for anything else. Bear in mind that a custom mold will give you around 20db of acoustic attenuation so not only do you get hifi quality monitoring, you also save your hearing for a couple more years ! ;-)

Back