My favorite sticks

Promark 747's Nylon tip... And it has to be Japanese Oaks.... Just got back from GC with a new brick of them. For me thats a years worth of sticks...

I just love the way the Japanese oak resists splintering. They last and last and Last.

Remind ya of a gum commercial...

Mike

my favorite sticks are silverfox 5A's, they are perfect not to heavy and not to light. and they look cool

Pro Mark 5B American Hickory wood tip.

Pro Mark 747 Japan Oak wood tip. (Neil Peart signature sticks)

I had a pair of regal tips years ago, and I remembered them as being pretty good, compared to the various others I used. So when I started playing regularly again a few years ago, I tried them again - I settled on the Jazz model, they suited me fine. Recently my playing has changed, also my band, and I looked around for something just a little heavier - tried some different makes and sizes, and decided I still liked regal - but the rock are too heavy, the 7a's too light and short, etc, etc - finally I discovered a model called JC on their website - never ever seen it in the shops. Perfect! just a tad lighter than rock, with a slightly longer taper, like the jazz, but a bit meatier. And they stay in my hands!! I suspect they might be named after Joe Calato, the boss man - his own preference maybe??

Terry

Regal Tips are a good make like you I had a pair very early on, but when they began to shred i bought some Vic 5A's which began to shred even quicker, but when i bought a kit in london i picked up some Vater 'Cymbal Sticks' which were very light and sensitive, a good width and stood up to anything, they seemed to dent rather than flake, which i preffered as when the tip flakes it really affects the sound on the ride.

Now i use Vater Manhattan's, I never liked Vic's partly because they are so common but also the Manhattan's are half an inch longer, and now i can't play with anything shorter.
So it's Vater all the way now.

Has anyone ever noticed this:

I recently compared Vater Fusion's to Vic Firths AS5A (5a w/a round tip) and although the Vater is a bigger stick (thick) ...the Vater is much lighter. Has anyone ever noticed this when comparing Vaters to VFs ? It seems that VFs are a heavier feel...or is it just me?

Anyhow...someone brought this up a while back, but....I received a certificate for a couple free pairs of sticks via Guitar Center...so I grabbed their SoundPercussion 5As ...and WOW....LIGHT.......durable, w/a great feel!

Does anyone know who makes those?!?

Yes Vater's tend to be lighter and their centre of gravity is also shifted towards the tip end just a fraction. I think VF's are denser and more 'factory conditioned' than Vater's.

P.S. Just an opinon but:

DEATH TO NYLON TIPS!!!!!!

AHEAD METALLICA STICKS, best shape and weight of any stick, but its really slippery and falls out of ur hand alot. but the BEST for playings is the zildjian rubber dipped thingy, omg those are PERFECT, but gives you MAD blisters

until i come across a better pair (which i don't think i will for a while) my favourite sticks are the Vic Firth Omar Hakim signature sticks. Lovin the round tip, and the nylon is really solid and makes for a pretty crisp sticking sound on le cymbals. i've since converted back to nylon tips, they just sound more defined on the cymbals than the wooden tipped stick i've come across.

I had a pair of regal tips years ago, and I remembered them as being pretty good, compared to the various others I used. So when I started playing regularly again a few years ago, I tried them again - I settled on the Jazz model, they suited me fine. Recently my playing has changed, also my band, and I looked around for something just a little heavier - tried some different makes and sizes, and decided I still liked regal - but the rock are too heavy, the 7a's too light and short, etc, etc - finally I discovered a model called JC on their website - never ever seen it in the shops. Perfect! just a tad lighter than rock, with a slightly longer taper, like the jazz, but a bit meatier. And they stay in my hands!! I suspect they might be named after Joe Calato, the boss man - his own preference maybe??

Terry
I agree regal-tip 7a's are very light,mostly for jazz but if you use a regal-tip 7a for a rim click there is no other stick that sounds sweater.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

Pro-Mark 747 "Neil Peart" signatures...OF COURSE!!

Good 'nuff for HE...good 'nuff for Michael D...Play On! ;-)

P.S. Perfect sticks! Good gripping and VERY durable!

there are many kinds of sticks I like it all depends on the song i'm playing but for a light stick I like pro-mark 5A oaks,for a all-around stick I like pro-mark mike portnoy 420's and for a heavy stick I like vater 3A's for a very light stick I like regal-tip 7A's all nylon tip. wood tip sticks sound dead to me on cymbals.Just one man's opinion.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

I usually play with Ahead Joey Jordison signature model or the Ahead 5B's... but when I use wood sticks, I love the Promark 747 Rock Nylon Tip. For Brushes I use Regal Tip... I also use promark lightning rods as well as Promark Hot Rods.

Ahead sticks reduce cracking of cymbals, keep the cymbals cleaner than wood, and reduce vibration so they're better for joints than wood.

They_call_me_a_person_who_likes_to_make_sure_their_posts_don't_go_unnoticed

Vater Piccolos every time, easily the best weighted, most consistent and most durable stick out there. Just very hard to get hold of in England sadly.

Back