eMAD 2 vs Powerstroke 3 + Reso

xb2003

Hey.
Im sure this question has been asked about 10 million times here, but i looked around and could find anything that directly compared the two.
A while back, i walked into GC wanting a Powerstroke 3, and the guy talked me into a Powersonic. I really wish i could kick him in the kneecap right now. I have a 22" Export, and i know the bass will sound better.

Im leaning toward the emad 2 because Its supposedly deeper sounding, doesnt take constant tuning, im an evans fan, and i have seen a lot of great reviews from it. But im a little worried of the issue i have heard a lot about of the plastic ring that holds the foam piece on falls off. I dont have the money to spend $50s often. But if the life span is like 6-9+ i would be fine.

I dont know what to say about the PS3, besides its cheaper. My understanding of the head is: Its higher pitched, Doesnt stay in tune well, and is louder...almost overpowering, and sustains quite a bit. This is what i have found through my reading.

I play classic rock, and new hard rock (I.E. Avenged Sevenfold), and i do quite a bit of double bass. And i want to achieve a really deep punch that hits you right in the chest, if you know what i mean. What are your oppinions and expirences?

Also, what reso bass drum head is good. Right now, im using a 10 year old Pearl Logo head, with no port hold. I always kept it cause i liked the logo, but....ehhh
I was looking at, again, the evans emad resonant.

Thanks for the help.

What are your oppinions and expirences?

PS3's front and back. Been using this head combo for years....including on a Pearl Export 22" kick.....in both classic rock and hard rock outfits.

"Its higher pitched, Doesnt stay in tune well, and is louder...almost overpowering, and sustains quite a bit." None of this has been my experience. It no doubt sustains a shade longer than the EMAD, but it is still a pre-muffled head. If I'd detected any of the issues you mentioned, I'd have stopped using them long ago.

PS3, EMAD...it's your call. Just don't buy another Powersonic. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the plastic ring. It was an issue at one point but Evans addressed it. I've been using my coated emad2 since January with no issues. Still sounds great. You really don't have to tune it often, in fact I did yesterday for the first time in a couple months and it was almost like having a new head!

I'm contemplating whether to try a clear head or Aquarian Super Kick next.

If you just got the Powersonic, I'd take it back and tell them it sounds like crap.

The Emad sounds better, and the coated PS3 sounds way better.
Evans Coated EQ1 is nice too.

The Powersonic head is just a big "fail" IMO. Some may like it, but it's about the worst sounding bass drum head I can think of.

Reso is up to you, but a non-ringed front will give you more tone options IMO.

You just have to spend a little time with it and get the bass drum to sound the way you want, just like a snare or a tom.

Goo dluck

Well i went up to Explorers Percussion today. They had a Pearl MCX with the EMAD 2/EMAD Reso combo, and how ever it was tuned, i really liked it. I understand that there was a lot of variables and all, mainly it being a maple bass, but that made me decide that that was what i wanted. Unfortunately, the Resonant EMAD, or "REMAD" as they call it, was out of stock, so i decided to wait until next time. Maybe the PS3 would sound better, idk. THey didnt have one setup up there. But i know that the EMAD 2 i tried was a sound that was very much what i was looking for, so...ya know.

I bought one Power Sonic last...October? maybe, and got another around christmas for my second bass (to my surprise and dismay...) So i dont think they will take them back, beings they wouldnt swap out a set of 5 dollar guitar strings for another set, because i was "out of district," (man guitar center makes me mad...), and because the head defintally "worn."

Thanks you guys. I know i kinda went against what you were telling me, and i guess that i may screw up again, and then you can tell me "I told You So." Ill even give you the opportunity. Thanks again.

Thanks you guys. I know i kinda went against what you were telling me, and i guess that i may screw up again, and then you can tell me "I told You So." Ill even give you the opportunity. Thanks again.

Not at all. The EMAD is a nice head if that's the sound you're going for.

I just thought you'd been misinformed on the PS3 is all.

The two are not comparable. The PS3 is a one ply head with a very thin ring on the inside. The emad2 is a 2 ply head with a thick externally placed foam ring.

I use an emperor on my bass, no muffling at all. Since when is sustain a bad thing?

Sustain is not a bad thing, its just not my prefrence for what i usually play. I dont like stuff to run together, and sound muddy. I really dont like the toms to sustain much either. And my snare is as tight as it will go(not overtight, and tuned properly...well...its me). If i played a lot of slower, 3/4 or 6/8 type power ballad, like "Nothing Else Matters," I would altogether tune differenent, and probably look for different heads. But i dont, and sustain just isnt my preference.

Back