My Iron Cobra Issue

Pimento

Ok a few things, these are ab out 2 years old now, theyre fine, no squeaks or rattles.

I have no issues doing slow 8th notes, but the problem comes when i try to go into a 16th/32nd note roll, i can never get more than 4 16th notes going, and forget about the 32nds.

I currently have the speedo cam" set so that the foot boards are as high as they can go (the point of the cam is horizontal)

the cam has a black "9000" on the side of it if this helps.

I cant get my pedals to feel "alive". I have adjusted the spring tension, beater orientation and footboard height, i cannot find a setting thats comfortable at all. Up until now i wasnt even able to do a steady 8th note roll. I have recently switched from a punk type band (lots of fast single foot work) to a metal band (more double kick needed) so i had to buckle down and practice.

Something else i notice is that i can play fine on my acoustic set, but when i take it home to my electric kit, i feel like im just starting out again. It is a roland TD-9 with the rubber bass pad....is this a usual feeling?

I have very long legs and find it VERY uncomfortable to play anything but heel up, now, i know there are some heel up players who do 32nd notes like nobodies business.....

Man...i guess this is a little bit of the pedal issue, and some technique as well.

Other info is it is a belt driven pedal. I am considering going to the axis longboards as they seem to work better for my big feet and legs. On my current IC pedals the right beater felt is worn almost to the plastic backing. I ordered a replacement but well see when it gets here. Im also wondering if a heavier beater will give me the rebound and "live" feeling i am looking for. Or maybe a direct drive will help as opposed to the belt drive.

Ok a few things, these are ab out 2 years old now, theyre fine, no squeaks or rattles.
I cant get my pedals to feel "alive".
I would say, ditch the pedal. You've had it for 2 years .... and you still can't get it "zeroed" in. Go to a shop and get your feet on every pedal you can. Find one that works for you ... and buy it.​

Something else i notice is that i can play fine on my acoustic set, but when i take it home to my electric kit, i feel like im just starting out again. It is a roland TD-9 with the rubber bass pad....is this a usual feeling?
Yes ... just like your rubber practice pad feels different from a real snare drum. I don't even bother with those upright kick thangs, on my e-kit. I use a KD-7. I figure if it's gonna feel different, then I might as well use the smallest unit I can.​

Yeah, ive tried the longboard pedals from Axis, theyre a bit pricey but they work really well with where i set up my drums and stuff.

As for the iron cobras, for most of the 2 years i never really did double kick, as i was 5 days a week with a band that didnt "like" it. So i stopped using it. Now that im in a band that requires double kick, i started practicing again, i got my 8th notes down but 16th and 32nds are still an impossibility.

Some of the issue is where i put my feet on the pedal, to be comfortable im playing close to the heel plate when i get faster, so im thinking that is where the longboards will help me.

Now my other thing is that my pedals were bought before the cobra coil was sold with every pair, would it be worth it to order this and see if that helps me out? Or is it just a gimiky type deal?

I really do like playing these pedals and weve been through a lot, and as ive said before, technique definitely plays into things, but the "dead" pedal feeling once i try to put speed into things isnt helping me.

Ditch the pedal. Look into the new tama speedcobras if you like axis and can't afford them.

Hmmmmm

Stupid fix for this issue, i bought osme American Eagle shoes....and they have a tiny bit of a heel on them which evens out my odd foot and gives me playability i never thought i had.

Back