Click Tracks / Triggers ????????

thomjj27

Hi everyone,

I feel dumb asking you guys this question because I'm not a drummer. I'm a worship leader at a church and I am hoping to start using some of the click tracks that I have made using FL Studio / Cubase. Also, a couple of our drummers have mentioned adding drum triggers to our set. From what I've read, it seems like a great idea to me...

What do you guys recommend for equipment for these two things (click tracks/triggers). Keeping in mind that 4-5 different drummers would be using the equipment on a rotating basis so keeping it as simple as possible is best. I am hoping to keep the total cost under $600.

If the click tracks are for keeping *one* steady beat throughout the song (no tempo or time signature changes), you can cover both bases with an electronic drum module. I suggest checking out the Roland TD-9 and then using Roland triggers.

Any particular reason they want to trigger the kit?

Thanks for your quick response!!

The click tracks would be one steady beat (no tempo changes) which would contain some audio loops, shakers, etc in the different parts of the song.

I think the big thing is getting a nice sound at a medium volume level. Currently we have a pretty nice DW drum set with Sennhiser mics. We use a drum shield to block some of the sound. Our sanctuary is not "huge" (fits about 300-350 people) so we always are working on the drum level. We've tried using Hot Rods and Lightning Rods but we've had trouble getting a good sound while using them..

Ah, so you need a backing track, not just a click track. In that case, an electronic drum module won't do.

In my band, we use a Roland SPD-S sample pad, you might want to look into that. It also has two external trigger inputs.

Am I understanding you problem right, your issue is that you want the drums to be quieter? Triggers won't do that, the drums are still drums, and just as loud... Are you looking for an electronic kit, or am I misunderstanding your problem here...?

sorry for the confusion.. Yes, I am thinking more of a backing track..

And no, we would like to keep the acoustic drums... but would we be able to use hot/lightning rods, along with drum triggers, to get a full drum sound with less volume coming from the stage yet still have the acoustic feel for the drummers??

Thanks for your input!!!!

Well, you will keep the feel of the acoustic drum, but the hot rods will change that a lot anyway. As for full sounds... Well, you'll be limited to whatever sounds the electronics can create, and triggered drum sounds aren't going to be very dynamic. Good equipment will be able to track the strength of the hit to a certain degree, but it's still going to sound very sterile. There's a reason triggers are mainly used only in metal, because metal guys need consistent hits and sounds throughout a song.

I appreciate your advice... maybe triggers aren't a good idea.. I definitely don't want a sterile sound..

Back