How do I know if someone has replied to my post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joshhlegg

When another user replies to a post you made, how do you know? The only way I can check is by going to the thread where I made the comment. There should be a notification feature - like on social network sites :)

You can check the amount of replies in a thread you've posted by following the color code on the left hand side of the title of the thread. This, however, is not specifically link to your posting/replies.

You can also subscribe to thread(s) and get notification when someone reply in a subscribed thread by selecting an option on the notification type on the thread subscription feature: ie: receiving instant mail notification to any thread you've subscribed to.

Hope it helps.

Or you can try the age-old art of reading threads to see.

Inconceivable!

Vizzini3.JPG

I know because everytime I log in, I click on the 'new posts' tab in the menu. And if my thread is in that list, then I know someone replied.

I'm not sure I need or want an email notification. I'm trying how to figure out how to turn that off in my facebook. I only get it from some people but I don't know how it got activated in the first place.

I agree that a unified notification center should be a feature, however I don't think vBulletin has any sort of support for that at all. As it stands, I simply go to my username, and look at all my posts, using the icons to the left of each as a sign of which posts have developed further. It's not pretty, but it works.

Oh, and Bo: click the gear in the top right, go down to "account settings", click "notifications" on the left, then "email" in the middle. Then you can check a box to only receive security-type emails from them.

Or you can try the age-old art of reading threads to see.

Yep I already do that. But let's say I have started 150 threads, how will I know if someone has replied to me on one of my earlier threads? It's not practical to read through ALL them and search for a reply, considering some threads have hundreds of responses.

By the way, I mean a direct quote reply. Like this comment I am writing now

I think you guys are being a bit hard on me and didn't fully understand my question.

Of course I know you can check all the threads you have started, and that you can subscribe to a thread (and receive notifications for EVERY response in that thread), and that you can read through ALL the threads you have commented in.

I am talking about the comments that quote you, and are directed towards you. There is no feature that notifies you.

Yep I already do that. But let's say I have started 150 threads, how will I know if someone has replied to me on one of my earlier threads? It's not practical to read through ALL them and search for a reply, considering some threads have hundreds of responses.

By the way, I mean a direct quote reply. Like this comment I am writing now

There's no way to track direct replies to specific posts, you can only track overall new posts in a thread. I don't actually know of any forum software that allows tracking and notification of direct replies outside of the social networking world.

As for looking for threads with new replies: Thread lists are always sorted by last reply, so the thread with the most recent activity will always be on top (unless you specifically click a column header to sort by something else).

There's no way to track direct replies to specific posts, you can only track overall new posts in a thread. I don't actually know of any forum software that allows tracking and notification of direct replies outside of the social networking world.

As for looking for threads with new replies: Thread lists are always sorted by last reply, so the thread with the most recent activity will always be on top (unless you specifically click a column header to sort by something else).

thanks dude. Do you think it is possible they could implement such a feature in the forum? In my opinion it would be quite useful

thanks dude. Do you think it is possible they could implement such a feature in the forum? In my opinion it would be quite useful

From a software developer perspective, I can see a few issues with making such a feature reliable enough for public use:

1: If the notification is sent when a user clicks the "Quote" button, it will be invalidated if he changes his mind and chooses not to post after all

2: If the notification is sent when a user actually posts a message, the software will have to scan the message and look for QUOTE tags, and then try to determine what users are referenced in the quotes. This will usually work as long as the quotes are properly formatted and the user/post reference isn't removed, but it's not as foolproof as it should be.

3: Making it user-friendly might be a challenge. Subscribing to a thread is all fine, but how would you implement a feature that essentially subscribes to a post? Would you really want to autosubscribe to every post you create? For users who post frequently, that would be a pain in the behind, so you would probably need some sort of "Subscribe to replies to this post" checkbox somewhere, which you would have to remember to click.

4: Such a feature might produce a lot more e-mail and notification traffic, so it could prove to be a resource hog.

All that being said; this is a vBulletin forum, which has a HUGE library of possible plugins. I'm sure there are a few that attempt to add the functionality you ask for. It' just a question of whether it's something that most people would want, and whether or not the administrators would want the extra hassle of installing and maintaining another plugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back