Double Kick and Hi-Hat Stand Problem.Help.

akadylan

Alright, so a while back i got a new hi hat stand witch was the gilbralter retro flat legged stand. And i recently got a pearl eliminator double kick. The problem i have is the legs on the stand and the left pedal wont really cooperate. The leg of the stand is in the way of the double kick forcing me to move my hi hat stand quite far away from my snare.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!

Do you have a rack. Do the legs on the stand rotate. Does it have two or three legs

I tried to rotate the legs but the pedal is like connected to it. Here ill attach a pic of it.

Attachments

• ACFD0Ypgi.jpg
    ACFD0Ypgi.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,913
You did not tell me if you have a rack or not. If you have a rack you can mount it from that. I have a two legged Tama Iron Cobra pedal on my electronic kit so both legs are behind the high hat stand, out of the way of the bass pedal.

If the foot pedal of your hi-hat was rigid and did not fold, you could take the one off and turn the other two so that they were behind the hat. That way the pedal acts like the forward leg.

You need a two legged hi hat stand. I have a Iron Cobra lever glide, its nice, even tho its kinda falling apart. You can get a PDP 2 legged hi hat stand for a good price. Its the best way to get a comfortable position with a double pedal.

Flat legged stands and double kick pedals really aren't meant to co-exist. The flat-based hi-hat is meant to blend in with a flat-based set of cymbal stands as a more classic look for smaller jazz kits, and incidentally it tends to be a lot lighter. However, there's no way to rotate a flat-based hi-hat's legs out of the way of the slave pedal.

Time to choose courses of action here. Either do the best you can with positioning; give up double kicking for now; or change your hi-hat to either a three-leg rotating, a two-leg, or a legless with some sort of clamping system to attach it to a cymbal stand or a rack.

The best I've seen anyone accommodate such a setup is Neil Peart's practice kit he warms up on backstage, and even here you can see it's not a great fit.

Attachments

• warmupset.jpg
    warmupset.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,908
Flat legged stands and double kick pedals really aren't meant to co-exist. The flat-based hi-hat is meant to blend in with a flat-based set of cymbal stands as a more classic look for smaller jazz kits, and incidentally it tends to be a lot lighter. However, there's no way to rotate a flat-based hi-hat's legs out of the way of the slave pedal.

Time to choose courses of action here. Either do the best you can with positioning; give up double kicking for now; or change your hi-hat to either a three-leg rotating, a two-leg, or a legless with some sort of clamping system to attach it to a cymbal stand or a rack.

The best I've seen anyone accommodate such a setup is Neil Peart's practice kit he warms up on backstage, and even here you can see it's not a great fit.
Thanks for the pic. My favorite drummer doesn't even know how to set up his kit properly. :)

Ya i do have the whole set of stands. great stands but like you said doenst go well with the double kick.
Thanks for the help, i think i might invest in a two legged stand soon.

two legged stands don't do any good for a double bass set up, well unless you fold them up and don't use then altogether. Then get a Pearl hi hat clamp that attachés it to you bass drum hoop or a Pearl conga drum bridge and secure it to a cymbal stand.

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

you could just fold them up and use one or two of these
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Travel-Conga-Stand-Bridge?sku=501870

or this

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...A100-HiHat-to-Bass-Drum-Attachment?sku=448726

Last edited:
I have no issues with using my double pedals and a regular folding./rotating hi hat stand. Its not as close as i would have it without, though i did make the mistake of buying the gibraltar adjustable stand with all the funky things to get the hi hat where i want it, and in the end i just deal with where it is now, it only took a little hwile to get used to.

Back