I bought the Pork Pie Throne but not super happy

I bought the Throne but not super happy

Don't get me wrong, it is a COMFORTABLE throne. I picked up a bicycle seat style and it is super nice, super sturdy and very comfy.

The ONLY thing is that it doesn't sit very low. I've got it all the way down to the bottom setting and it's still not low enough for me so I feel like i'm sitting too high for my playing style.

Any Ideas?

I love the comfort and craftsmanship but just want something that sits lower. I've thought about buying a shorter base/legs for the top portion but that's just more money, unless anyone knows of one that would fix this prob I have

Last edited:
If you're playing as low as the throne will alow, there's a good chance that you could benefit from sitting higher and raising your drums to match the added height. Sitting that low typically makes you work harder to achieve the same result. Then again, some people are just more comfortable that way. I would recommend raising your kit and seeing how you like it. If you don't, you can always put it back and return the throne. I've just never known a throne to not go low enough for a post-pubescent person.

can you use the base of your old throne and just use a pork pie top?

If you're playing as low as the throne will alow, there's a good chance that you could benefit from sitting higher and raising your drums to match the added height. Sitting that low typically makes you work harder to achieve the same result. Then again, some people are just more comfortable that way. I would recommend raising your kit and seeing how you like it. If you don't, you can always put it back and return the throne. I've just never known a throne to not go low enough for a post-pubescent person.

+1 on working harder. I'm the opposite. I like to set up higher. I as talked into a roc-n-soc hydrolic seat (with a back) more than 15 years ago. I just bought another one. I really am thankful as the bounce of that throne as a can play long hours and still get up and move around (which is tuff for us old guys) and my back does not hurt.

i'm in my late 30's lol

I know, I know, it's teenager thing to sit low and wanna look cool, but that's not my thing.
I've always sat low, it's where I feel most comfortable. I've always heard my whole playing career it's more work to sit lower to reach or attack everything but everyone has their own style, everyone has their comfort zone, mine just happens to be a tad lower. Not obnoxiously lower, just a little lower than this Pork Pie

I can't sit higher like Brooks Wackerman or other guys like that. Just not comfortable for me.

i'm in my late 30's lol

I know, I know, it's teenager thing to sit low and wanna look cool, but that's not my thing.
I've always sat low, it's where I feel most comfortable. I've always heard my whole playing career it's more work to sit lower to reach or attack everything but everyone has their own style, everyone has their comfort zone, mine just happens to be a tad lower. Not obnoxiously lower, just a little lower than this Pork Pie

I can't sit higher like Brooks Wackerman or other guys like that. Just not comfortable for me.

I know what you mean. My instructor sits as low as his throne will allow, and it has always baffled me, but he has no issues.

So I guess just return it. Maybe you accidentally got one of the extended height models by mistake. Otherwise, Maybe a Roc-N-Soc or a nice Tama throne. I know my Roc-N-Soc Nitro sits low enough that my knees sit higher than my hips if I wanted to.

Just noticed this thread. How do you know what height bobafettdrumcorp is? Could he be like me and be height impared(I am only 5 ft 2 in).

Is it a spindle throne or a hydraulic?

I think a user on here named Bo got the threaded pole shortened.

The Porks are spindle. You spin them to make em go higher/lower.

Negative - I never had a threaded pole shortened. And besides, shortening the threaded pole won't help you if the frame of the throne itself doesn't let it go any farther down.

I admit this is an anomaly to me, as I stand 5' 1" and I can't handle thrones at their lowest setting. In fact, the last time I was forced to play on a throne that was too low (and I couldn't adjust it), it gave me serious leg and back pain that earned a visit with my chiropractor.

Just return it. I think Drum Workshop makes a throne that goes a bit lower. But I'm sure it'll cost more, but it'll be worth it. Most regular spindle thrones seem about the same height across the board, so you need to search one that goes lower, and thye'll be marketed that way. Good luck on your quest!

According to a reply from Pork Pie(several months ago-some things take me forever to decide on when I don't know what exactly I want) they do have a shorter throne base(not sure of the cost). I found none of the hydraulics come in a shorter base model and I am finding that I am starting to get used to having a normal throne height.

Just noticed this thread. How do you know what height bobafettdrumcorp is? Could he be like me and be height impared(I am only 5 ft 2 in).

If you're 5'2" and have a typical height ratio, then from your foot to your knee should be somewhere around 18" (give or take a couple). That number is also your ideal throne height for maximum comfort and playability. Maybe add a couple inches, but subtracting any height would likely affect playability for most people. Now, I was not able to find Pork Pie's height specs. Roc n Soc standard spindles and Nitro thrones are 18"-24", but I would wager to guess that Pork Pies aren't much different.

I'm 5'11". My throne sits at about 21"-23" depending on the situation, and that's about where it should be for best efficiency. Just the same, somebody who is about 6'3" would likely find their ideal height maxing out the throne, and may even want a couple more inches for ideal comfort. So it can be assumed that the standard 18"-24" should work for most people between 5'2" and 6'2", but that's just on paper.

All of this is solely based on normalities and rough calculations, though. That's not to say that sitting lower or higher doesn't always work better for some people. You may benefit more from the shorter model, as it bottoms out at 16", and it sounds as though the lower heights are more comfortable for you. My statement was just based off of typical heights and what works best for the average person. If somebody is the type of person who is most comfortable sitting really low, then more power to that person.

Back