Suggestion- Gear Reviews

Logistical nightmare to moderate.

A sub forum for EVERY manufacturer, then another sub forum for EVERY offering from said manufacturer (drums, snares, stands, pedals, thrones, cymbals, cowbells...need I go on?). Way too many sub forums to list.

Theoretically, I like the idea.......the practicalities of keeping it in order, I shudder at though. Who in their right mind would stick their hand up to moderate that?

...You guy's aren't getting this at all. It wouldn't be in the forums, look at what cooldrummer posted. There wouldn't really need to be moderators.

And it really wouldn't take TOO much work.

How does this........

...You guy's aren't getting this at all. It wouldn't be in the forums, look at what cooldrummer posted. There wouldn't really need to be moderators.

And it really wouldn't take TOO much work.

explain this???.........

I thought it would be a good idea if there was a section in DW where we could post gear reviews, sound clips, demonstrations, etc. in a more organized fashion.

So although it's NOT on the forums....it's still on DW, but there's "NO WORK INVOLVED"?
I guess it just sets itself up and moderates itself does it?

You sure I'M the one who's not getting this?

At the end of the day, it's not my, or anyone else's call I guess. If you really think it's worth running with, PM Bernhard and run the idea by him.

How does this........

explain this???.........

So although it's NOT on the forums....it's still on DW, but there's "NO WORK INVOLVED"?
I guess it just sets itself up and moderates itself does it?

You sure I'M the one who's not getting this?

At the end of the day, it's not my, or anyone else's call I guess. If you really think it's worth running with, PM Bernhard and run the idea by him.

1. DW does not only consist of a forum, there are other parts, so those quotes are basically irrelevant to each other.
2. I said there wouldn't be TOO MUCH work.
3. As I said before, look at cooldrummer's post. He posted a link which is a good example of what I'm trying to explain

1. DW does not only consist of a forum, there are other parts
2. I said there wouldn't be TOO MUCH work.
3. As I said before, look at cooldrummer's post. He posted a link which is a good example of what I'm trying to explain

Yes, I've followed this thread mate....including cooldrummer's input. His example looks very much like a forum to me, but that aside, I still contest there would be a fair degree of work involved. People posting reviews in the wrong place (happens all the time here), reviews being doubled, trippled, quadrupled because no-one bothers to use the "SEARCH" function to see if one already exists, would need to be moved or amalgamated (again, happens all the time here). Someone has to do all that.

Look man, I've come across many of your posts, you're a good guy and I like your input.....so I have no wish to get into a forum pissing match with you. I just disagree with you that:
a) It doesn't have to be on the forum - I mean, how would members have any input....we have no access to make changes on the official DW site. How do you write and post a review but through the forum? Is Bernhard expected to test and review every concievable peice of gear as well as maintaining the site, plus collating information on, and adding new drummers from the wishlist?
b) It wouldn't take much work - For the reasons I've outlined above and then some, I think it would take an enormous amount of overseeing.

As stated, I like the idea, I just think the practicalities are an issue.

But as I said, run it by Bernhard. he may feel differently than I do.

cheers.

I have never had a problem finding gear reviews here on DW.
I saw Stan's thread on Agop cymbals. I went out and I tried them. I now own two Agpo Rides;
I don't play double pedals anymore. I see posts here about the latest doubles. I go to the music store and I try them out for myself. Just for fun.

Same goes with snare drums, heads, etc.

I like the randomness that exist here in the gear threads.
I don't always buy what I see. I just try things that I never would have tried otherwise.
Its fun to look through the threads at random and explore based on what you have read.

It wouldn't be the same if it was all set up like like a library.

It wouldn't be the same if it was all set up like like a library.

bob is right. it really wouldn't be the same.

and what pocket said, i'm sure all of us like the idea of an organized gear review system but it could take a very long time to get up and running and a huge pain to oversee.

i use the search function all the time. i also google what i would normally search for here on dw and see what answers i get at other forums as well.

i have also lost faith in the musicians friend reviews. they are ok, but i think the majority of them, especially in the budget gear, are just like "buy this now! it is the very best thing in the world no matter what!"

I used to write reviews for a drum magazine as well as interviews etc. Believe me, it is a lot of work. On the surface it sounds good, and I even considered putting my hand up as a meaningful way of contributing...but it is a full time job! I'd have to be hired. And as a separate section, not part of the forum, it would be a job. Now for my expertise I require a minimum of $70.00 AUD per hour. Over a 40 hour week that is $2800.00 AUD. $145,600.00 per year.

Bernard, I am happy to take this on if you are willing to pay me.

;)

Last edited:
I'll take the job and do it for free if I can keep the gear.

Back