Why I love the blues, great SRV video

Yea I would like to say again that I apologize for my remarks about Chris Layton. It was inaccurate and after reconsidering some of the great parts he came up with, he really is a fine drummer that fit beautifully w/ Stevie and Tommy. I'm sorry I said it. It's his kit sound that doesn't appeal to me, not his playing.

Yea I would like to say again that I apologize for my remarks about Chris Layton. It was inaccurate and after reconsidering some of the great parts he came up with, he really is a fine drummer that fit beautifully w/ Stevie and Tommy. I'm sorry I said it. It's his kit sound that doesn't appeal to me, not his playing.
You were doing so well for a minute there Larry, And then you came to the part about the sound of Chris's kit!
Larry, Larry, What are we going to do with you?

I can't take credit for entertaining you, man it was all Stevie.

I knew that was comming! I was gonna edit my post. Anyway by sedately I meant the guy appears almost asleep. Not what he or I play but he is so calm about it. Not that that's bad though. Nothing about the band was bad.
In a nutshell what I was saying was "Holy crap that's great stuff. Thanks!'

You were doing so well for a minute there Larry, And then you came to the part about the sound of Chris's kit!
Larry, Larry, What are we going to do with you?

Chris is remarkable. Chris is fabulous. I want to have his babies (and have someone else look after them). His kit sounds sooo good! It's important for our fellow DW members to be happy :)

No doubt he's a rock solid pro blues drummer but I'm with Dairyman when it comes to his ride sound in the vid. It sounds a bit dead to my ear.

Larry, I'm sure Chris's restraint is what SRV wanted - unlike Jimi - for the drums to stay at home while he pours his heart into the solo, but I always find it a bit strange when a soloist is pouring it out like that and the band just chugs along with it.

It's as though you have three people in conversation at a table ... one of them is shouting passionately "I GOT THE BLUES! MY WOMAN'S DONE ME WRONG AND IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!!" while the other two are just sagely nodding their heads, sipping their drinks, and quietly saying "Yep Stevie ... sure, it's a bummer".

I keep wishing one of them would stand up and say "YEAH STEVIE! I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!!" :)

T-e-x-i-e-r-a, Mark Texiera, lucky for me a personal friend. He's a GREAT drummer, and a wicked good kid too. I've watched him play since he was a young'n, and he surpassed ME years ago!! Fun as HELL to watch too as he's got an excitement for the music that few others possess.

Also, you forget the OTHER piece of the equation in SRV's band!! Chris would sound pretty out of place playing much more than he did with Tommy's bass playing. Tommy lay's it down like PAVEMENT and Chris splits the difference between Stevie and Tommy in a manner that's really PERFECT for the band. Any more that that and he'd be playing ALONE and not WITH the band. It's not the same with Mitch Mitchell, there was ROOM in Hendrix's music and Mitch filled it in quite well.

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Mark too. Great guy and an awesome drummer. He has a lot of knowledge of drums and drummers, and has some great stories. I get a lot of my inspiration from his playing.
I think the thing about Chris Layton (another favorite) is that he makes it look SO easy; all the great ones do. Within blues there are many different styles and Mr. Layton can do them all. Remember, it was Double Trouble that Kenny Wayne Shepherd took with him out on the road for his 10 Days Out project. He knew that whatever style was thrown at them, they could handle it.
I agree with Larry...Chris Layton isn't going to 'wow' you with the crazy four-way coordination stuff, but his playing is a master class in the most important skill...listening. Watch those videos of him, he constantly watching SRV. Great stuff.

Back