The Drummer's Gene

Wait a sec...isn't Phil Rudd's philosophy about holding a good pocket and letting the rest of music take front stage...unless...Phil Rudd-ing isn't simple enough for you *GASP!*

Wakey wakey hand off snakey, BD. I was pretty obviously talking about volume. Phil Rudd plays LOUD. I'm not a loud player and have to tone it down even more to play in my current band. Most times I play about as gently as this guy (without his groove and class, obviously) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxaUjIYX1Y. I don't think he's a fast cars kinda guy :)

If you heard my things in the Your Playing area you'd know I play simply but with more nuance than our more famous De Stijl drummers, although I obviously don't have Phil's famed deep pocket or I'd be touring the world and playing huge stadiums.

Ian Paice was my first drum idol and I was a mad thing behind the kit in my youth but age and inability to play kit at home has slooowed meee dooowwwnnn ....

Phil Rudd plays LOUD.
Phil Rudd doesn't need to hit the drums loud anyway, the studio techs just mix and adjust the volume...

...Phil is very good with dynamics too...but that drummer was awesome, solid, groovey, not too complex, dynamically aware and concentrating with just enough nuance to not be called a drum machine...

...playing loudly really limits your dynamic range, playing moderately gives a drummer room to use a range of different dynamics (louder and softer with more sensitivity etc.) and helps the studio engy with less unwanted overtones resulting from dented pinstripes.

Back