Derek Roddy here!

NEW VIDEO FROM FRANKFURT:

I posted this in another thread, but got no feedback:

Just a little teaser:

Our DEREK RODDY jamming VERY SOLID GOOD OLD ROCK. This band played with no rehearsal - and Bassplayer and also Paul Gilbert are great.

Directors Cut: Rough material - guitar only from behind - enjoy till the end...then Derek is giving some....

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/forclaudepfau.mov

Bernhard

Hi Derek! I hope you're doing great!

I was at the Frankfurt Messe performance. At both, your solo performance and with Paul Gilbert. You were great!
I wanted to ask what the name of the "more quiet" song of your set was (i think it is in 5/8, 6/8). Is it available in any form?

Cheers!

Stefan

Hey Derek,

i just wanna say thank you for the great talk at the Musikmesse. I enjoyed it very very much. It was a honor to meet you ;-)
Really appreciate it!

All the best Derek!

mitderek.jpg

Drummingman.....
You think about this stuff WAAAYYYYY too much. Haha.

Don't worry about "this technique" or "that one", "who does what"....none of that means SQUAT!!!!

The people you look up to...that are playing this stuff...didn't have the internet to ask questions....instead....they just found a way and did it.

It takes time, and lots of practice but, no amount of searching for an answer is going to make it any easier.
Put on your headphones....jam out songs until you can play them. That what I did......that what WE ALL did.
We're all different in our approach but, we all have one thing in common....
Time spent.

Cheers,
D.

FINALY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME! eheh

ok that's it guys, turn of your computers and go practice! :D

Derek you rock dude! haha

Ya I'll agree that my internet connection probably hinders my playing more than it helps. Mostly because i spend too much time on this damn forum lol. I've never had a drum teacher though just because i don't have the money, so i've had to rely on online lessons and youtube which is actually very helpful. I like that i can get different teachers' perspectives on lessons and why they use certain lessons over others. So I guess its a double edged sword.

P.S. D-Rod awesome drumming! And congrats on the sickdrummer cover. Do you have any good lessons or recommendations for time keeping? Excercises for speed/endurance seem pretty straightforward like you've been saying, and when i practice i see improvements. But now my time keeping is slacking. I play along to music and a metronome which helps, but jamming with friends is another story. When my guitar playing buddy messes up (which happens quite often lol hes learning) it often messes me up too. Is there a mental way around this? Or should i just get more musically inclined friends? heh. Thanks for taking the time to answer 9 pages worth of questions on this thread lol you're a better man than I.

hi derek I got 2 questions, about your 2minutes practice methods.(4-4,8-8,12-12,16-16)
1. when you play blast for last two minutes, do you only play blast using right foot?
2. this is maybe stupid question but when i practice this foot exercises on a floor (not drums), and my second foot is resting. Would it be better for resting foot to stay in heel up position, or resting in heel down????:) I'm asking this because after working on your book, i have realized that only problem that i have is balance, and just want to say that this exercises are also gr8 for balance;)

Hello Derek! I'm a huge fan!
I wasn't that into death/black metal music before but after listening to you playing inspired me a lot.
And weirdly enough, i was using the 'flat foot' technique without even noticing myself. One day I just started playing like that and didn't even know what it was called. :D

Derek I just want to say your amazing in all your death metal acts and at the 08 modern drummer festival. I do have one question, i heard a rumor that you are looking into getting some non-metal gigs and I was wondering if you could clarify that.

P.S. D-Rod awesome drumming! And congrats on the sickdrummer cover. Do you have any good lessons or recommendations for time keeping? Excercises for speed/endurance seem pretty straightforward like you've been saying, and when i practice i see improvements. But now my time keeping is slacking. I play along to music and a metronome which helps, but jamming with friends is another story. When my guitar playing buddy messes up (which happens quite often lol hes learning) it often messes me up too. Is there a mental way around this? Or should i just get more musically inclined friends? heh. Thanks for taking the time to answer 9 pages worth of questions on this thread lol you're a better man than I.

Thanks for the props man......
About the best thing I can recommend for time keeping is doing something like this.....In all types of varying slow tempos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwgyUlMeNw&feature=channel_page
And, just playing to a click a lot.... will build your internal clock.

I guess that's the best you can do.....and if the guitarist is having problems....make him play to a click too! Haha.

Cheers,
D.

hi derek I got 2 questions, about your 2minutes practice methods.(4-4,8-8,12-12,16-16)
1. when you play blast for last two minutes, do you only play blast using right foot?
2. this is maybe stupid question but when i practice this foot exercises on a floor (not drums), and my second foot is resting. Would it be better for resting foot to stay in heel up position, or resting in heel down????:) I'm asking this because after working on your book, i have realized that only problem that i have is balance, and just want to say that this exercises are also gr8 for balance;)

Hey there Toza,
O.K. I'll give this a shot....
1. The 2 minute exercises were designed to use both feet and and both hands, so no......
I 'll do equal amount of time for each hand and each foot. Don't just isolate one.
2. It would be best to lift that foot completely OFF the ground. This.... takes away that "human kick stand" and forces your back to keep your body "in balance".
Do you do the balance exercies I put on-line many years ago? Single strokes in these 4 combos (again 2 minutes each)...RH/LF - LH/RF - RH/RF - LH/LF. When you get comfortable...you can add a "back beat" with the limbs you aren't using.

Try those on for about a month and see what happens.

Cheers,
D.

Hello Derek! I'm a huge fan!
I wasn't that into death/black metal music before but after listening to you playing inspired me a lot.
And weirdly enough, i was using the 'flat foot' technique without even noticing myself. One day I just started playing like that and didn't even know what it was called. :D

Cheers Tom....you know. this whole flatfoot issue isn't some mystical thing....it's the way most of us play without ever knowing it. Haha. Flatfoot is still heel up....it's just using more of your leg as opposed to your ankles.

Cheers,
D.

Hi Derek! I hope you're doing great!

I was at the Frankfurt Messe performance. At both, your solo performance and with Paul Gilbert. You were great!
I wanted to ask what the name of the "more quiet" song of your set was (i think it is in 5/8, 6/8). Is it available in any form?

Cheers!

Stefan

Hi Stefan...thanks a lot.
Hummm....it is a Traumedy tune but, I don't remember which ones I played.
Most of those tunes are on my youtube channel....look for Traumedy and my channel is MrObsidian. Hit me back here if you find it....I'll give you the details.

Cheers,
D.

Hey Derek,

i just wanna say thank you for the great talk at the Musikmesse. I enjoyed it very very much. It was a honor to meet you ;-)
Really appreciate it!

All the best Derek!

mitderek.jpg

Rock on man....it was great to meet you as well. Maybe again someday.

D.

Derek I just want to say your amazing in all your death metal acts and at the 08 modern drummer festival. I do have one question, i heard a rumor that you are looking into getting some non-metal gigs and I was wondering if you could clarify that.

Thanks you Jake. I had so much fun at the MD fest....although, my stomach was right up in my throat!!!! Haha.

That's no rumor at all. I've been playing other styles of music my whole life. In fact, metal was the last form of music that I got into. I came from a very musical family and there was all types of music in the house. I play all types of gigs...in all types of musical situations......It's just that... all most anybody really gives a crap about is... all the fast stuff....so, that's what I'm known for. Haha.

Cheers,
D.

Hey Derek i had never really listened to your drumming until recently and wow was i blown away. You are an extremely talented musician. But let me get straight to the point. I was wondering how you develop your hand and foot independence because you have a great ability to play complex rhythms with your hands on top of a killer double bass pattern

I was fortuante enough to be at the 2008 Modern Drummer Fest in NY last year. Your performance blew my mind. I remember you performed first on day two and it was way too early for me, being that I was vacationing in NYC! My head was pounding after the first nights festivities but it was still great. I was also lucky enough to win one of the door prizes that included a Meinl 14 inch filter china that you signed! It says "Blast On!" It hangs on the wall in my practice room now. What a cool, and unexpected gift! You should of seen my face when they called my seat number! I was completely shocked!

Last edited:
Hey Derek,

i want to join in on the chorus and just say that I'm as far removed from metal music as a musician can possibly get, but I was completely blown away by your inventiveness, and the wonderfully unique & powerful voice you have on the drums. It was a real stand out performance and a real pleasure to watch!

Hello Derek, I must say that I totally love watching and listening to you play and the great advice you give the young drummers out there. I watch the MD Festival performance all the time and always end up saying, "Man that is so awesome"! I was curious as to why on most of your youtube videos of you practicing, you have coated heads and live you have clear heads? Anyway, love your drumming and keep up the awesome, totally inspiring playing. Arthur

Back