more durable snare head

jbsg02

I've always used coated ambassadors on my snare top and like the way it sounds, but I'm tired of having to change heads all the time. I know the emperors and any 2 ply head will last longer, anyone have and recommendations?

What we really need to know to make and educated comment on it is what problems are you having as far as the head "wearing out" making it need replacement?

it's really just normal wear on a single ply head, the head just looses its elasticity and becomes harder to tune

How often are you having to replace them and how much do you play every week?

If you're looking for pure durability, you can't beat the Remo Emperor-X, by far the thickest mylar head produced by any of the big drum head manufacturers. However, it's not a head for great tone, as it only really sound good when cranked down to very high levels.

I have and have played snares with coated ambassador heads that are years old and sound great. Don't know what your issue is.

Thicker heads, dots, and 2-plies only add "durability" if you have bad technique. You pay for that durability in sound quality.

That's just not true. Hitting hard does not equal bad technique, but you will definitely wear out a head faster by hitting harder.

You'll notice I never said that hitting hard = bad technique. That's because you can hit hard with good technique.

Look, I don't need to hit "hard" anymore, but my kid does: he plays in a loud rock band, almost always unmiked. He's the hardest hitter I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot in 40+ years of playing.

Have a look at this coated Ambassador. It's over one year old in this pic, played daily and gigged often:

IMG_1562a.jpg

The reason it's "durable" enough is that he has great hands. He never dents heads, nor does he wear off coatings.

So I maintain that what I said was true, whether you hit hard or not--depending on the player you are.

And yes, I know I should have replaced it ages ago, but it sounded so good! I put a new one on last week. ;-)

You'll notice I never said that hitting hard = bad technique. That's because you can hit hard with good technique.

Yes, but if you hit hard with good technique, you will either need the added durability or change your drum head often. Hence my point that durability isn't just needed for people with bad technique, like you said.

Back