Bobby Blotzer

IAN - W -

Rebel
"Blotz" is a very talented, skilled and strong pounding drummer for rock band RATT.
He has contributed on excellent albums such as: Out of the Cellar, Invasion of your Privacy, Dancing Undercover... any comments?

Attachments

• Bobby Blotzer.jpg
    Bobby Blotzer.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7,539
  • Blotz.jpg
    Blotz.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 3,733
I had the opportunity to meet him back in the 80's in NYC,
he was doing MTV's Unplugged at the time. After the taping
he came out of his tour bus and walked over to my bassist & myself.
We chatted about 10 mins. about music. He was very cool & friendly that day.
However, he was & is not on my Top 20 list of drummers.

Yeah, very cool guy and a very steady drummer. Always played with the band and for the song (as opposed to playing for his ego first and on top of the song). Saw RATT at the Key Club in Hollywood several years ago, and Bobby and Warren were the only two original members. Jizzy Pearl (vocal), John Corabi (rhythm) and Robbie Crane (bass) did a fine job, however, as replacements. I hear he left Ludwig (1987), and is now pounding Yamaha Beech drums.

An interesting short life experience, thanks for sharing.

I had the opportunity to meet him back in the 80's in NYC,
he was doing MTV's Unplugged at the time. After the taping
he came out of his tour bus and walked over to my bassist & myself.
We chatted about 10 mins. about music. He was very cool & friendly that day.
However, he was & is not on my Top 20 list of drummers.

I've have never met the man before, but as per interviews and articles He seems to be down-to-earth, humble and not a big-head, mainly seen after the death of his beloved friend Robin Crosby (guitar). I agree, He plays with feel and for the song. Thanks!

Yeah, very cool guy and a very steady drummer. Always played with the band and for the song (as opposed to playing for his ego first and on top of the song). Saw RATT at the Key Club in Hollywood several years ago, and Bobby and Warren were the only two original members. Jizzy Pearl (vocal), John Corabi (rhythm) and Robbie Crane (bass) did a fine job, however, as replacements. I hear he left Ludwig (1987), and is now pounding Yamaha Beech drums.

I seen Ratt a few times but when I seen them for the "Way Cool JR." tour I forgot the name of the album Ratt was filming a video for "I want a woman" @ the Palace Bobby did a very cool solo that night great rock drummer.

Bonzolead

To me Bobby is, as stated before, a solid rock drummer that wasn't overkill. He didn't do a lot of fills.....................but the ones he did were kinda different then most. I have Out of the Cellar, Invasion of your Privacy, Detonator and Reach for the Sky. Growing up I used to play to these Albums all the time.................................Good Times!!!

Mr. Blotzer is for me, without a doubt, one of the best drummers to come out of the Glam era. I think his playing was inventive, supportive and, most importantly, groovy. It's very fortunate that some people remember and honor his style and work, as I think he is a seriously overlooked rock drummer.

I remember when it was competition and a lot going on, among the bands like: RATT, WASP, Motley Crue, Dokken, Hanoi Rocks...

Absolutely, Bobby is an excellent rock drummer and left a legacy for us, who appreciate his work.

Mr. Blotzer is for me, without a doubt, one of the best drummers to come out of the Glam era. I think his playing was inventive, supportive and, most importantly, groovy. It's very fortunate that some people remember and honor his style and work, as I think he is a seriously overlooked rock drummer.

Seeing RATT a few years back was one of the worst shows I have ever had to endure. Pearcy was in wretched vocal shape.

But Bobby really played his booty off. Lots of energy, really into every hit. I wish I could have met him after the show.

I remember when it was competition and a lot going on, among the bands like: RATT, WASP, Motley Crue, Dokken, Hanoi Rocks...

Absolutely, Bobby is an excellent rock drummer and left a legacy for us, who appreciate his work.
I always thought Bobby Blotzer & Mick Brown(Dokken) had similar styles.

Bonzolead

The Blotz was Ratt's secret weapon. After spending years thinking he was just another hair metal drummer who played simple beats, I realized that no one plays like him, not that he is insanely technical at all, he just has a sense of groove and a light touch when needed that no one else in hair metal had.

To me Bobby is, as stated before, a solid rock drummer that wasn't overkill. He didn't do a lot of fills.....................but the ones he did were kinda different then most. I have Out of the Cellar, Invasion of your Privacy, Detonator and Reach for the Sky. Growing up I used to play to these Albums all the time.................................Good Times!!!

Ditto. Bobby has this great feel and a subtlety that rises above most glam drumming. Like Round and Round--all the cymbal chokes, the little hop on the bass drum at 3:13, and the directions he chooses up and down the toms.

First glam drummer I ever heard play the ride cymbal on the upbeat too (Back for More).

I remember being in 5th grade and calling my friend Joel--"We have to figure out how to play this upbeat ride thing!" I don't think I even knew the word "upbeat" yet, to be honest. It's funny remembering where you first learned certain things.

Thanks, Bobby.

That's one of my favorite things about listening to classic albums you haven't spun for a while. Especially if it's a band like Ratt where, let's face it, you're not expecting much musically.

Those little moments make the songs so much cooler, especially when you maybe never had the ears to hear them before.

I always thought Bobby Blotzer & Mick Brown(Dokken) had similar styles.

Bonzolead

They were pretty much overlays of the exact same kind of band, same sound, one a little more freaky mystical than the other, but that quintessential ground work rock feel did really get exemplified by both Bobby and Mick. They definitely set a great standard for 80's rock.

I always thought Bobby hit harder than imaginable...

They were pretty much overlays of the exact same kind of band, same sound, one a little more freaky mystical than the other, but that quintessential ground work rock feel did really get exemplified by both Bobby and Mick. They definitely set a great standard for 80's rock.

I always thought Bobby hit harder than imaginable...

There both hard hitters which I like Bobby had more electronic effects than Mick IMO. Mick doing great with Ted Nugent nowadays seems too be a good fit for him.

Bonzolead

Back