Martin Lopez

I went to a opeth concert in istanbul on march 29th but lopez wasnt there my firends said he broke his leg or something but axe was fine I was hoping to see him in nova rock fest austria but bad luck lopez is a better drummer then axe but there realy isnt a big difference

Martin Lopez wasnt there because he was having panic attacks and couldnt go on tour. Martin is now out of the band officially and has been replaced by Axe their touring drummer as a permanent member.

Finally a topic to a great drummer. I did not know he exsisted or even the band for that matter until I got my Sirius satelite radio. Deliverance was on the radio which I didn't know what is was called until the end of the song, I was like I have got to find out who this band and drummer are. Well I am officially hooked as an Opeth fan and more so a Martin Lopez fan! That would be a shame if he has really left the band, but your health is much more important than anything else! If could play any song before I die it would be Deliverance his double bass work in that song is sick!!

So sad how Martin Lopez isnt in the band anymore :( He left the band this year because of his health problems. Although i was lucky enough to see him in the local drum store!!!

I'm most probably gonna get stoned by the hardcore fans for saying this but, as much as I dig Martin Lopez's drumming, for some reason, I prefer the new drummer...

I have'nt heard him yet, I would like to although I'll probably have o wait until their new album.

13x7 premier modern classic maple, natural lacquer

I find it several reoccurring themes in this thread disturbing..

Firstly, the general lack of Opeth's heavy material. I've found that even those who appreciate softer styles of music enjoy Opeth's ability to transcend musical genre and belt out something heavy and soft in succession.

Second, the lack of recognition for My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life, both of which are phenomenal albums and in my opinion have many more awesome drum moments than Black water Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries... Especially when it comes to having a less 'tool-esque' proggy feel. It's alot more rock/metal with latin and jazz influence than prog, drum-wise, which is imo where lopez stands out.

Also, Noone has mentioned that Martin Lopez appeared on Amon Amarth's album Once Sent From A Golden Hall... Which is basically in my opinion not only the band's best album, but it's also my favorite Lopez work. The drumming on that album really shows Lopez's unique styling and his 'metal' side more than Opeth. You can see how different he is from other drummers once he picks up the tempo.

I pretty much agree that Lopez is an amazingly talented and unique drummer, though. He's one of my reasons for picking up the sticks in the first place (after 7 years of bass and 4 of guitar. I'm only 19) and I honestly wouldn't look at music the same way had I not heard his material. He took my perspective away from guitars and towards not only drums but the overall piece of music in its whole.

And to Drum-Head: Axenrot hasn't appeared on any of Opeth's albums yet.. As far as I know when he plays live he pretty much sticks to the script. Axenrot is a great drummer (I love bloodbath) but I don't think we've seen exactly what he's made of..

I find it several reoccurring themes in this thread disturbing..

Firstly, the general lack of Opeth's heavy material. I've found that even those who appreciate softer styles of music enjoy Opeth's ability to transcend musical genre and belt out something heavy and soft in succession.

Second, the lack of recognition for My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life, both of which are phenomenal albums and in my opinion have many more awesome drum moments than Black water Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries... Especially when it comes to having a less 'tool-esque' proggy feel. It's alot more rock/metal with latin and jazz influence than prog, drum-wise, which is imo where lopez stands out.

Also, Noone has mentioned that Martin Lopez appeared on Amon Amarth's album Once Sent From A Golden Hall... Which is basically in my opinion not only the band's best album, but it's also my favorite Lopez work. The drumming on that album really shows Lopez's unique styling and his 'metal' side more than Opeth. You can see how different he is from other drummers once he picks up the tempo.

I pretty much agree that Lopez is an amazingly talented and unique drummer, though. He's one of my reasons for picking up the sticks in the first place (after 7 years of bass and 4 of guitar. I'm only 19) and I honestly wouldn't look at music the same way had I not heard his material. He took my perspective away from guitars and towards not only drums but the overall piece of music in its whole.

And to Drum-Head: Axenrot hasn't appeared on any of Opeth's albums yet.. As far as I know when he plays live he pretty much sticks to the script. Axenrot is a great drummer (I love bloodbath) but I don't think we've seen exactly what he's made of..

I appreciated reading that and its clear to me that your a huge fan of opeth. It shows that youe ve actually listened to their material when you talk about the latin and jazz influences that he has, which is one of the reasons Lopez is in my top rankings. I cant stand it when people put forward an opinion when they really have no idea what they are on about.

I respect his style so much because he blends these styles into the heavy metal genre, and its amazing to listen to them in a death metal band like opeth. However, i would have to say that Amon Amarth's latest album, With Oden On Our Side, is their best, not speaking drum wise but the band as a whole.

Also if you havnt seen Opeths DVD, the making of deliverece and damnation, i dffinately recommend it. There is some awesome footage of Lopez.

So would I... can't wait to hear what he's up to.

I'm very sad he couldn't stay in the band... he's so much more dynamic than Axe in many ways. But we'll see once the new album is out.

Genocide98, I agree that My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life are easily overlooked by many fans. I've recently discovered MAYH myself, and so far I can tell it's some of their best work. Still Life, though, is definitely my favorite Opeth album. Not only is Benighted and Face of Melinda two of their best ballads with suberb acoustic guitar play, Serenity Painted death contains two of my favorite Opeth solos. :D

I am bumping this. Anyone know what Martin is up to now? I am dying to hear more from him.

I know it's been a while but I was just reading around he's apparently working on a project that isn't named at the moment. I don't know anything about it, very little information has been released, I'm waiting with baited breath.

hay!
I am new here and I really do love Martin Lopez.
When I listened to Opeth for he first time I was completely out of my mind they have one of the best drummer in the world and it's true.
Martin Lopez makes me fly away; he makes feel the freedom that I have been searching for a long time ago.
I really miss him and Opeth it's not any more the same without him.

Hey guys, does anyone know what really happened to Lopez? All the information about his mysterious illness was quite vague... What's a "panic attack" anyway? He seems like a very down-to-earth calm guy... why would he be having those?

And what do you think of the drumming on Opeth's latest "Watershed"?

hiii!
euh I wanna know too what happened to lopez.?
the new drummer of opeth is good he is the ex-drummer of bloodbath but no one can replace Martin Lopez he is the best.

Back