Z ed triple x mesh heads

hemiboy

Anybody using the Z ed triple x 3 ply mesh heads and if so are they nice and quiet as advertised and how is the rebound with them?

Never used Zed's myself but 3-ply seems a bit like overkill (2-ply is more than enough for durability purposes I've found).
I'm guessing but maybe the extra layer contributes to the quietness factor and slightly reduces the "bounciness" of the mesh which a lot of drummers hate?
In any case, it would depend on how they compare in price to their 2-ply counterparts as to whether I'd hand over my hard-earned for them.

I have 682 2 plys and I have use the Roland 2 plys before as well. I am trying to be as nice as possible to my neighbor downstairs. I hear z ed tripps are super quiet and less rebound but not cheap. Tried Billy blasts and they were loud as hell

I use 682 heads as well but I honestly can't see how one mesh head can be that much quieter than the other.
I feel your pain in regards to wanting to be quiet for your neighbours sake (I've recently moved into a house which was converted into a duplex with only a flimsy wall between us so it's like we're living in the same house almost).
I know I harp on about these a lot but the Krigg Triggera bass drum triggers and Lidwish Solutions sticks have done a LOT to soundproof my kit (I probably have the quietest kit on the planet).
Put it this way- recently had a jam with a mate until midnight with no complaints whatsoever (and that's playing metal mind you) using the JamHub.

Hey Toddmc, Thanks for the imput. Yeah I already own the Kriggs and they are great new model called v 3 which I will also be grabbing and I bought the lidwish sticks a while back , which although offering a quiet solution, I hate them. They are like playing long bic pens. They have the right idea, but would somehow have to make something more substantial than that for me to have any real interest. I am going to mesh head, dampen, and trigger a full size kick which belongs to my current kick do I will be trying out the ludwig kick beaters that I also own a pair of. Anyway, just checking on that particular z - ed triple ply. I have been in the e game a while , on my third kit and fourth module already. I have also owned and used 4 different brand meshes including Roland, Hart, Billy Blast, and 682 drums I also just completed a 6 by 6 drum riser with auralex platfoam. I am gonna stop dipping my toe in and jump in the pool and just buy one and try it?

I'd like to know if there is a significant noise reduction with the Zed's so let us know how you get on.
I feel your pain with the Lidwish sticks- they do reduce noise but the playing experience is certainly diminished. Not to mention the added "benefit" that you're kind of de-training your limbs after using them (when going back to my ultra-light wooden sticks the next day, even they feel like they weigh a ton)!

I will Todd, and about the Lidwish sticks and beaters, they are a good concept and they work!. I really believe that either Lidwish or a copy ecat will come up with something more realistic feeling and looking, sooner or later! Just the obvious, they look and feel ridiculous right now! Did you order those on line or did you get to speak to the owner of Lidwish, Lazaro. I talked to him for about 15 minutes and he is funny as hell. That's how I got sucked in to buying them. He is a surfer dude from California who moved to Hawaii about 25 years ago. I really think that he was doing nothing but surfing and partying before this lightening bolt hit him, lol. He said he just decided after getting tired of neighbors cursing him out for drumming , that he would experiment with different rubber and plastic material until he "perfected" the design. I think he does more Ganga than perfecting, but he told me he does great with the products he sells ! A real character, good guy!

Last edited:
Would've loved to have talked to the guy (had a few e-mails back and forth but that's it) but the phone bill for ringing the US from Oz would have been a bit cost-prohibitive so I purchased them based on the website info.
I'm sure they're not that hard to make. It's nice to have a tip-shape at the end of the stick- which is the bulk of the "engineering" which goes into it (otherwise just a light, plastic rod would do).
Not sure what else he could do to improve it. I mean, a bit of extra weight would be good but then the noise would increase so it's a fine balancing act.

I will Todd, and about the Lidwish sticks and beaters, they are a good concept and they work!. I really believe that either Lidwish or a copy ecat will come up with something more realistic feeling and looking, sooner or later! Just the obvious, they look and feel ridiculous right now! Did you order those on line or did you get to speak to the owner of Lidwish, Lazaro. I talked to him for about 15 minutes and he is funny as hell. That's how I got sucked in to buying them. He is a surfer dude from California who moved to Hawaii about 25 years ago. I really think that he was doing nothing but surfing and partying before this lightening bolt hit him, lol. He said he just decided after getting tired of neighbors cursing him out for drumming , that he would experiment with different rubber and plastic material until he "perfected" the design. I think he does more Ganga than perfecting, but he told me he does great with the products he sells ! A real character, good guy!

Ummm, thanks for the astute assessment - I did construction, too, before I got my U.S. patent. BTW, the sticks were "designed" primarily for acoustic kits, but a lot of people use them on their electronic kits with great results - I don't own an electronic kit so I will leave it to you guys to evaluate the worth of my sticks on your kits.

Finally broke down and bougjt the z-ed triple x meshes and I really like them! Super quiet and responsive. Love 'em!

Just a quick report, the z ed tripps are on my kt and they are perfect. Not too bouncy, and very quiet, too! Super happy!

That's good to hear! I actually prefer the Yamaha dtx pads based on my preferences, but you are running some very nice pads. Have fun with them!

Haven't played those yamaha pads for long,but the little I did, I liked them. I was " Roland Brainwashed" at the time
I hear the Aquarian On Head
has a similar feel to the yamaha silicone heads which might be an alternative to mesh. which might be an alternative for an a to e kit

Back