Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Would have been nice to give everyone the same camera time like they did Mangini, so him being featured is probably a clue on their decision.

From the clips it appears DR struggled with the improv. I'm guessing he likes to work on things on his own and would have come back the next day and probably nailed it.

Lang doing his own thing seems to have been a negative. I think they wanted to hear MP's signature licks

Virgil might have too much chops for their liking. Not sure why you would experiment with drum parts during an audition.

Marco sounded great....brought alot of energy and a positive vibe. I was impressed!

So the guy that blew the singer away is not Virgil but one of the last two remaining.

They are all playing the same studio kit.

He was saying that they were all DW artists. I was saying that Aquiles isn't. I know they are on the same kit in the video. :)

So the guy that blew the singer away is not Virgil but one of the last two remaining.

Either that or they just used that clip at the end of the last episode to build suspense and hype and then never used it for anything else. It's a pretty common thing to do, especially when it comes to reality (haha!) television.

Either that or they just used that clip at the end of the last episode to build suspense and hype and then never used it for anything else. It's a pretty common thing to do, especially when it comes to reality (haha!) television.
I bet it is Aquiles. He plays this exact style of music.

If Derek is allowed to talk about it, it would be cool to hear his impressions on the whole deal and a little about what it was like during the audition

He was saying that they were all DW artists. I was saying that Aquiles isn't. I know they are on the same kit in the video. :)

I think he meant DrummerWorld, not Drum Workshop. And there are only three DW artists there: Marco, Thomas and Derek.

Mike and Virgil play Pearl, Peter plays Tama, and Aquiles plays Mapex.

Well, just got a reply back about the audio and shortage of footage on this Documentary.

Rick Ernst
Add to contacts
To Derek Roddy

Attachments, pictures and links in this message have been blocked for your safety.
Show content | Always show content from Ernst

"Good ear my friend! See below

Yes it's camera audio. The logic session was corrupt. Maddi and Paul tried everything they could but were unsuccessful. We even gave Paul a multitrack of all of our camera audio from all mics... He took a stab at it but didn't make much difference. There was nothing anyone could do to make that section sound much better :-/

Over the Edge Productions"

So apparently...that effected how much "view time" I got overall.
Oh well.....it was a lot of fun. Haha.

D

congrats on the audition Derek

from the little they showed in the Doc. your playing kicked ass and you came off as a super kind cat

I think he meant DrummerWorld, not Drum Workshop. And there are only three DW artists there: Marco, Thomas and Derek.

Mike and Virgil play Pearl, Peter plays Tama, and Aquiles plays Mapex.
I guess we will wait and let him give the answer since he is the only one that really knows. :)

Hey Derek. My wife and I watched todays episode together, and we both thought you came off a little bit unsure and shy. Were you intimidated, or nervous? I know I would of been, but then again I am not in the same league as you guys. :)

Just watched part 2.

Even before they said it, it seemed like it was coming down to Mangini or Marco. Dream Theater are a powerful band live, and they realize a show is a show, and those two were the ones who brought the power to the show. The standing up, the big arm movements, stick twirls, the big smiles; those are all aspects of the live act, and Mangingi and Marco were the only two who seemed to tap into that aspect.

It's pretty obvious any of them could do the gig. Any one of them is more than capable of playing all the songs, and writing a new album. It's not coming down to ability, or even personality, it's who gives that little extra spark. It's like a NASCAR race where the winner is determined in terms of 1/100th of a second increments.

When it was announced Portnoy left, I commented at the time I thought Virgil came from too much of a fusion back ground to get the gig. Although I didn't know he had been in a Dream Theater cover band. But based on the comments on the video, I still appear to be right, given they flat out said it's between Mangini and Marco so far.

The other thing I noticed is Mike Mangini is the only who said "I want to be IN this band" Everyone else discussed how "it would be cool to be in A band" "it would be nice to have a home" "I could see myself being in this band". Mike's desire to be IN Dream Theater specifically seems to be giving him an edge.

Last edited:

It starts to be fun. Before the last call for predictions goes out, I'll give it one shot:
my money is on Priester.

Eventually the prodigal son has to return, and starting from this assumption, all the remaining possibilities just seem implausible to me.

The other thing I noticed is Mike Mangini is the only who said "I want to be IN this band" Everyone else discussed how "it would be cool to be in A band" "it was be nice to have a home" "I could see myself being in this band". Mike's desire to be IN Dream Theater specifically seems to be giving him an edge.

That's it in a nutshell. He is the guy that really wants to be in this band. It's not intellectual or visceral, it's total commitment. Plus the fact that he and Mike are friends, he loves Mike, doesn't want to do anything to destroy their friendship. When it comes time for that big reunion tour and Mike's return, he'll understand. :)

Plus all those theatrical aspects you mentioned. Virgil is the other one that has a deep connection to the band, but he again is not the showman that the two you mentioned are.

These guys are all drummer's drummers. In other words, I love all of them. I was watching a Roddy solo yesterday and blown away, inspired by the clarity and intensity. I saw the most killer Wildoer video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7FZlDTUhq8 Check out at around 5...Are those doubles on the bass drum and pretty much doubles on the hi-hat? Nuts. Marco Minneman is such a great player, and so freakin' versatile and fun. And my money is on Mangini, just because he seems Portnoy-ish, but more technical. Donati really is from Mars and would take Dt's musicianship to a whole new level. Lang is killer...

all these guys are fantastic- I view the videos, past the reality show aspect, as a celebration of drumming and artistry! DT knows the drummers selected all masters of their craft. Like Roddy said- it's about doin' the DT thing. For that, I'd say it's Mangini. The vibe the dude gives off is very Mike-ish...Watching so many incredible talents approach the music is really inspiring and thrilling for me. Makes me want to make some noise of my own.

While Virgil is generally my favourite by far, I must say Mike or Marco really stood out judging
only from these videos, and I think they fit the band best.

It's also very interesting to see how different great drummers approach the same material,
and how they actually come across very differently. It's even very inspirational for my personal
"musical life".

I had to laugh when Virgil came up with a different part, that really shows his work ethic.
I must say, I believe Virgil knew what he was doing, and I suspect he wasn't that keen on
getting into DT, as i.e. Mike is (and seems to be the most of all so far). He just wanted to
have some fun - and it's only a little part we see of all the song minutes they've played.
Plus he's known the band members, and I think they kind of knew what to expect, too. :)

All in all, Mike seems to "deserve" it more than Marco, as he'd obviously love to be in the band.
Mike P was a charismatic and energetic musician and person, and so is Mike M. Plus they could
carry on calling their drummer "Mike", haha.

I watched parts one and two. When I saw Mangini, I felt I was watching Dream Theater. When I saw the others, I was watching great drummers playing with the guys from Dream Theater. Peace and goodwill.

i thought virgil and thomas had the right idea going in
try and play portnoy whilst adding something new

seems as though they just want a replica though^^
pretty dissappointed as i thought a band i really like could have some new ideas coming in

also i didnt really know who aquiles was before this (is that blasphemy in the drumming world :p) so didnt know he was a mapex man :)

i thought virgil and thomas had the right idea going in
try and play portnoy whilst adding something new

seems as though they just want a replica though^^
pretty dissappointed as i thought a band i really like could have some new ideas coming in

also i didnt really know who aquiles was before this (is that blasphemy in the drumming world :p) so didnt know he was a mapex man :)
Watch his stuff. He is really good.

Back