Vintage Ludwig Drums.. What do I got?

john2003

O.K. Guys and Gals, This is the first kit I started playing when I was 10. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what they are and what they may be worth?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo(9).JPG
    photo(9).JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 7,217
  • photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 4,095
Psychedelic red ... with what seems to be a lot of green (that tends to fade out, with kits exposed to a lot of sun) One of the rarer of Ludwig wrap finishes. Sometimes referred to as "frog in a blender". Keystone badge, 3 ply shells .... look in pretty good shape, I really haven't been watching "these" lately ... it's a buyers market, now. Economy eats. A few years ago, $3k would not be uncommon .... with things the way they are now ... I'd say $2k.

I know I have some of the hardware but probably not all of it. How much does that make a difference? Here is a pic of the pedal I started with.

Attachments

• photo(11).JPG
    photo(11).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,780
The hardware won't add much. In any case, that's a Slingerland pedal so it doesn't add to the value as being 'original Ludwig hardware.' If you had an entire set of pristine vintage Ludwig hardware, it would add value.

Wow, a psych kit with keystone badges! I have only seen the b/o badges on that wrap. Are the insides of the shells painted white? Definitely keep them out of sunlight. Even indirect sunlight.

Last edited:
Hi..nice drums,great wrap.They look to be in good to very good condition.Looks like you lost the badge for the floor tom.Post some more photos ,with close ups of the finish and chrome.Photos of the interiors would be helpful as well and the first 3 or 4 numbers of the serial numbers on the badges..
I notice you've been on at least two other drum forums.I'd say between 1800-2800.

Steve B

Hi..nice drums,great wrap.They look to be in good to very good condition.Looks like you lost the badge for the floor tom.Post some more photos ,with close ups of the finish and chrome.Photos of the interiors would be helpful as well and the first 3 or 4 numbers of the serial numbers on the badges..
I notice you've been on at least two other drum forums.I'd say between 1800-2800.

Steve B

Tom 13" x 10" Stamp June 7 1968
Floor Tom 16" x 16" Perfect but missing badge
Base 22" x 17" might be extra holes but maybe missing hardware. stamped July 7 1968

Thanks, for all of your help!

Attachments

• photo(17).JPG
    photo(17).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 3,478
  • photo(16).JPG
    photo(16).JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 3,557
  • photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,560
  • photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,540
  • photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,536
  • photo(12).JPG
    photo(12).JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 3,705
  • photo(18).JPG
    photo(18).JPG
    111 KB · Views: 4,256
Wow, a psych kit with keystone badges! I have only seen the b/o badges on that wrap. Are the insides of the shells painted white? Definitely keep them out of sunlight. Even indirect sunlight.

No the insides are not painted white. i did find the date stamp on the inside. July 7 1968

Extra holes on the kick drum .... ouch ..... the "collectors" hate that.

I know I have some of the hardware but probably not all of it. How much does that make a difference? Here is a pic of the pedal I started with.

Wow. I had that pedal new in 1978. It's called the Tempo King, second to Slingerland's Yellowjacket which debuted in 1979. I learned how to make my own leather straps for that pedal and the pedal holder underneath was notoriously known for getting loose to allow side-to-side play of the pedal. It was sorta' the first of its kind to have such a wide footboard, though. Up to that point, most pedals were narrow, except for maybe the Speed King. Felt like any other pedal with a spring on the post.

Wow.Lots of extra holes in the bass drum and missing its badge,and some hardware,the wrap looks good though.The badge looks lose and is bent up on the mounted tom,Ididn't see a mount,wrap looks good.Floor tom missing badge,wrap looks good.

Ok good points.The wrap overall looks good,with little fade.I still can't see any clear close up of the wrap and hardware.

Bad points;extra holes is a big issue for the bass drum,as well as badges on two of the drums.The correct sizes would be :bass 14x22,tom 9x13,floor tom16x16.Only the drum shells are measured.2-3 K is not going to happen.The kit is in what's called "player condition".I really can't give you a better estimate,without a lot more,very clear(not cell phone)digital photos.I just can't tell enough from the photo's.I'm sure you'll be getting offers from forum members,if you haven't already.Most of these guys ,as well as Vintage drum forum,and DFO,are decent guys,and not looking to rip you off.Good luck

Steve B

Wow.Lots of extra holes in the bass drum and missing its badge,and some hardware,the wrap looks good though.The badge looks lose and is bent up on the mounted tom,Ididn't see a mount,wrap looks good.Floor tom missing badge,wrap looks good.

Ok good points.The wrap overall looks good,with little fade.I still can't see any clear close up of the wrap and hardware.

Bad points;extra holes is a big issue for the bass drum,as well as badges on two of the drums.The correct sizes would be :bass 14x22,tom 9x13,floor tom16x16.Only the drum shells are measured.2-3 K is not going to happen.The kit is in what's called "player condition".I really can't give you a better estimate,without a lot more,very clear(not cell phone)digital photos.I just can't tell enough from the photo's.I'm sure you'll be getting offers from forum members,if you haven't already.Most of these guys ,as well as Vintage drum forum,and DFO,are decent guys,and not looking to rip you off.Good luck

Steve B

Steve,
I put it in a local shop on consignment for $1000.00. Do you thin k that is a fair price?

Steve,
I put it in a local shop on consignment for $1000.00. Do you thin k that is a fair price?
All depends on your "local" economy ... personally, I'd sell them on eBay. All you can do is wait, and see ...

Cool kit, the holes in the bass drum can be dealt with...all except one issue. The big hole by itself in the front is the vent hole where the badge should be. There was a place for a cymbal mount, that could be put on. The problem is it looks like there was a standard tom mount and a rail consolette mount. Wonder why? Anyway, there will be a couple of holes exposed if you replace one of those parts. The best scenario would probably be to put back the standard tom mount. That would leave the least amount of holes showing.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm curious what happened to this kit. Was it sold, and if so, what did it end up bringing?

I'm in the market for a "players kit" along the lines of this and curious what it should cost me.

Thanks!

I'm in the market for a "players kit" along the lines of this and curious what it should cost me.

Thanks!
The OP hasn't been on the site for quite a while. No way of knowing if the drums sold (probably did) or not, and for how much (?), who knows. This happens a lot. People come on here, want to sell some drums .... and they're gone.​
General rule of thumb, vintage "players kits", under a grand is a good price. Over a grand .... well, sometimes you just gotta pay more, if the competition/demand is there. If you don't care so much about wrap/finish so much, there are a lot of "used" kits out there. I know a kit like this, in red sparkle, just sold for $850 (locally). Craig's List will usually be cheaper than eBay.​

Back