Looking for a New Car. Drummers' Advice Wanted

I'd have to say the Toyota 4-runner. One of the newer ones would be best. They can go anywhere, hold gear for days, and are a blast to drive. Plus they work for any of your other hobbies too.

I have a hard time finding them. Most people that get one tend to keep them for a long time.

I leased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring wagon three months ago and I love it.
They have made the same model for three years now so a used one can be found.
The rear seats fold down and it easily holds a kit.
The drivers seat is very comfortable for a 6 foot tall person.
It gets 28 MPG average.
It has good power and its fun to drive.
The car isn't overloaded with crap that you don't need.
It is a simple car that is easy to maintain.
The braking system is excellent.
The ride is stiff and stable at high speeds.
Full ipod connection also.

I am an automotive technician by trade and I only buy dependable vehicles because I hate to spend my off time repairing my own car and spending lots of cash on repair parts.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I did read through all of it the other day at work, (save the last two comments). I went to go test drive a few today, and though I didn't get the chance to stop by the Mazda dealership as we were running short of time, I loved everything about the 2012 Kia Sportage and the General Manager of the dealership turned out to be a long time customer of my dad that the price was unbeatable.

I'll be getting it tomorrow. =D

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I did read through all of it the other day at work, (save the last two comments). I went to go test drive a few today, and though I didn't get the chance to stop by the Mazda dealership as we were running short of time, I loved everything about the 2012 Kia Sportage and the General Manager of the dealership turned out to be a long time customer of my dad that the price was unbeatable.

I'll be getting it tomorrow. =D

Glad you got something you liked. Cheers!

Nobody does diesel in the US. I'm not sure why. The fuelling infrastructure's there.

I've had two Honda CRV's, & they're superb practical luggers, if not a little uninspiring to look at. Super reliable though, & economical too, in diesel form especially. Doh, forgot the diesel option thing again ;)

I do, I ended up with an Audi, a bit on the pricey side but it was worth it for me. It's the A3, 45 mpg if I go 55 to 65. I can not understand why there are not more diesels in the US. To me, it's a mistake.

The VW Golf (I think) has the same diesel engine and gets a little better gas mileage. They can fit a lot of stuff in the back too, great open hatchback.

I am very happy with the Big D, the newer the better. Blu-Tec seems to keep it clean. When you stomp on the accelerator, you can still see the car behind you. In the old days, that was a diesel technique for cloaking. Hit the gas and everything disappeared.

Please let us know how the Kia does.

I also have owned a Honda Element, the BEST when it comes to carting stuff, The LAST when it came to 4 Cylinder gas mileage.

I agree with the "no VW statement". I had a 2001 New Beetle Turbo. It was fast and fun, and I could fit my 4 piece kit with 24" kick in the back, but reliability sucked. VW was on top of the world in 2000, then they lost it all due to the fact that they don't care an eff about us. They say they're on a comeback now, and they've changed their evil ways, but I say wait until they prove themselves again.

Now I have a fast, fun, and (somewhat) reliable Mini Cooper Clubman S, and I can fit my 4 piece kit with 24" kick in the back. Waa-hooo!

Scion's seem pretty good, too.

Right now I have a VW passenger van, which is great because I can take the back row of seats out and fit a whole backline in there plus band members.

But I want something smaller. I know it sounds weird, but the van's too big. I want something that'll hold my 24" kick. I also want something that'll do 180k on the Autobahn without straining. I'm looking at an Audi S3 Sportback. My wife and I are planning on going down to the Audi dealer soon with my drums and do some fittings.

GET THIS ONE

groovy-vw-micro-bus.jpg

That's what I would get haha

I have an 07 Honda fit and its THE PERFECT car for drummers. 35 mpg, honda reliability, and all the seats fold down flat for excellent cargo space. highly reccomend the Fits.

I have an 07 Honda fit and its THE PERFECT car for drummers. 35 mpg, honda reliability, and all the seats fold down flat for excellent cargo space. highly reccomend the Fits.

I'm another Fit owner, I drive a 2010 Fit. What's great about it from a drummer's standpoint is the great amount of room with the back seats folded down, creating a deep, wide flat space that can accommodate a lot of gear. A four-piece kit in cases would have room to spare.

And, it's a damn good car!

I have a 2010 Kia Soul...Ive had it for a year and a half, bought it brand new. For the first year I drove an average of about 60 miles a day. Now about 25.....Other than a flat tire and regular maintenence (oil changes, tire rotation) Ive never had any problems with... Its pretty good on gas and I can fit my kit, 2 amps, 2 guitars and 2 people in it lol

Looks like ya made a good choice. Having all that room to carry your gear in a controlled environment is a HUGE advantage. I mean, I had a truck and would NEVER transport my kit in the back on a hot day. I have a wrapped kit and live in Vegas, so you can imagine what would happen. I myself just bought a 4Runner.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 753
Congrats on the Kia. Looks great! I actually just bought a Kia Optima SX a month ago, and absolutely love it! I was on vacation in Seoul a few months ago and saw them everywhere, from the high-end models driven by executives to Kia Optima taxi cabs, and decided I just had to have one! It's the best car I've owned, and I've owned some pretty cool cars. Went on a mini day trip out to the Salton Sea right after I got it and snapped this cool pic. Have yet to transport my drums in it, but it's pretty roomy inside so I don't think I'll have any issues.

BTW, it looks like our Kias are probably the same color (my color's called Titanium Silver).

Attachments

• IMG_0712_2.jpg
    IMG_0712_2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 680
Back