Mark Walker

Berklee Brothers

Berklee Brothers Youtube Video

Last video from the December 16th session at Coolidge Hill Studio. Next recording session is February 14th!

The Panamerican Trio (Mark Walker - drums, Oscar Stagnaro - bass, and Alex Brown - keyboard) perform "Berklee Brothers," composed by Alex Brown (All rights reserved).

Recorded and mixed by Joanne Phillips at Coolidge Hill Studio in Natick, MA on December 16, 2012.

Mark has been working on a lesson site with a focus on Afro-Cuban and Latin drumming.

www.markwalkerlessons.com

You can check out the intro video which shows how the lessons apply to various tunes as well as sign up for four free videos to review.

Joanne
Audio Engineer, Webmaster, Video Editor, Project Manager.

What Sould I Practice?

My drum set students often ask me what they should practice. Because we’re all unique, with different levels of skill and experience, there’s no easy answer. Sometimes we don’t realize what we need to practice, or that we need it at all. Eventually, reality will hit us, say, when we lose control of the time, the volume, or the tempo – or perhaps when we’re just feeling like we need an upgrade.

Read more at Mark's Blog: What Should I Practice?

Staying Motivated

Have you ever fallen into a rut? There are times where we just don’t feel motivated. Sometimes we get sick, tired, bored, stressed out, or just need something to refresh ourselves. What we really need is to catch that creative spark that made us want to make music in the first place. We all have it inside us, whether or not it has to do with music. Read more about staying motivated from Mark Walker HERE.

Want to check out Mark's lessons over the holiday weekend?

Sign up between now and thru Sunday, December 1st for 3-Days of unlimited access for $4.95.
$29/month after, cancel at any time thru Paypal.

www.markwalkerlessons.com

AFRO-CUBAN
BRUSHES
REGGAE
SWING
SHUFFLES
ROCK, FUNK & FUSION
SAMBA
STICK CONTROL EXERCISES
CALYPSO & SOCA
SONGO

Last edited:
Drummers' Tip #16:

Whether you have the most expensive high-end kit or an entry-level drum set, what’s important is how you tune and where you strike. Whatever you have, treat it with respect. Change the heads when you can, clean it, store it properly, and it will last.

True Story: I had been playing at the Blue Note in NYC since 1989, and sometime around 2001, I noticed that their Yamaha kit (given to them by Yamaha) was in very bad condition from being stored and treated improperly. Hardware was being put on top of drums, which were put on top of hardware...it was a mess. I told the artist relations person at Yamaha what was going on, and I didn't hear about it after that. Some time went by, and I walked into the Blue Note for a gig...and there was a brand new Yamaha kit! The Blue Note had built a new secure storage system for the drums, and the sound engineer warned me to be careful with the drums. I was floored! I asked the sound engineer if Yamaha had given them the new kit, to which he replied "No, they took the old one back..We had to buy the new one.."
Fast forward to 2013: I played the Blue Note in August, and didn't recognize the kit..It was the same "brand new kit" they had bought!

Mark
More Drummers Tips at markwalkerlessons.com

Baiao Demo

Baiao Demo (Mark plays all parts on quad split screen.)

ZABUMBA, TRIÁNGULO,
PANDEIRO, AGOGÔ SINTÉTICA

Video HERE.

The baião is a Northeast Brazilian rhythmic formula that became the basis of a wide range of music. Forró and coco (or embolada) are clear examples. The main baião instrument is the zabumba, a flat, double-headed bass drum played with a mallet in one hand and stick in the other, each striking the opposite head of the drum.

Enjoy!

Mark is truly great as both a drummer and an educator. You guys should definitely check him out.

Mark is doing a free drum clinic "drum hang" in 25 minutes at the Drum shop North Shore, Beverly, MA:

https://www.facebook.com/events/593617137390169/?ref=22

My son has a jazz concert at that exact time, so I can't go. But there should be an archive recording of it coming out.

I probably should have posted this a while ago. Oops.

Re: Mark Walker Boston Jazz & Latin Workshops

Jazz & Latin Workshops offered in Natick, MA (just west of Boston, MA.)

Five-time GRAMMY winner Mark Walker leads instrumentalists and vocalists in a weekly Jazz and Latin Workshop designed to sharpen jazz performance skills. Beginning students learn basic chart reading, time-keeping and basic improvisation scales by working on Jazz standards. Students who continue to study will incorporate soloing, phrasing, and improvisation techniques while working on more advanced tunes.

What do you need to participate in the Jazz Workshop? Some proficiency on your instrument, a love of jazz! Instruments welcome to participate include drums, bass (electric, acoustic or upright,) piano, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, violin, flute, guitar (electric or acoustic,) vocals and percussion.

Coolidge Hill Studio will provide drums, percussion, guitar amp, bass amp, piano. Workshops will also be recorded and available online for participants to review.

Classes are offered in Coolidge Hill Studio, located two miles south of downtown Natick, MA.

Classes are offered weekly and begin July 19th.
Beginners:

Wednesday: 7-9 pm

Saturday: 9:00-11:00 am

Intermediate:

Saturday: 11:15 am -1:15 pm

Cost for instruction is $45 for a two hour workshop. $40 discount if pre-paying online for four workshops.

Cash, check or paypal accepted.

Email for More Info

Island Hopping by Mark Walker

Check out this tour of Cuban, Argentinian, Brazilian and Peruvian rhythms in this video featuring the Berklee Percussion Department Facilty!

Island Hopping by Mark Walker

Mark Walker, "Island Hopping" - feat. Berklee Percussion Department Faculty
Berklee College of Music
Berklee College of Music·922 videos
Like 60 Dislike 1

Published on Jun 23, 2014

Berklee Percussion Department presents Mark Walker's "Island Hopping," featuring Dave Samuels (marimba), Ed Saindon (vibes), Ron Reid (steel pan), Eguie Castrillo (hand percussion), Ernesto Diaz (hand percussion), Mike Ringquist (hand percussion), Fernando Huergo (bass), Sean Skeete (drums), and Mark Walker (drums, brake drum).

This piece was arranged as a vehicle to showcase our hand percussion, mallet and steel pan faculty, and was divided this into five parts:

I. Cha cha cha (Cuba)
II. Tango (Argentina)
II. Festejo (Peru)
IV. Rumba (Cuba)
V. Samba (Brazil)

Mark Walker: drum set, percussion
Ron Reid: steel pan
Ed Saindon: vibraphone
Dave Samuels: marimba
Mikael Ringquist: percussion
Ernesto Diaz: percussion
Eguie Castrillo: percussion
Sean Skeete: drum set
Fernando Huergo: bass

Recorded live in the Percussion Department.
Simon Katz: recording engineer, mixing engineer
Chris Geller: assistant recording engineer

Filmed by 21summit Productions
Joe Barnard: videographer, editor
Emir Cerman: videographer

Special thanks to John Ramsay, Lucas Moisson, and all musicians who participated

Mark Walker is a Yamaha, Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo and LP artist.
www.markwalkerdrums.com

Back