Getting Nervous

I had an audition for the Blue Man Group quite a few years ago. It was all going fine, we were all waiting in a cold building in London for what seemed like ages. Certainly long enough for me to think.

By the time I got to audition I was a complete cold nervous wreck. I played for the them ok I thought, then they asked me to play some stuff with one of the drummers from the show. This was promising I thought again as they hadn't asked anyone else in my group. The instructions were clear, no flash stuff, no triplets or rudiments. They asked me to play sixteenths over the top of eighth note bass drum. So me and the other drummer started playing, great I thought, and then he started trading 4s... bugger, I was so nervous I have no idea what the hell I was playing but it soon stopped being sixteenths and started being a response to the other drummer. I really thought I had done well, just what they were looking for I thought... Only what they were looking for was someone who could follow simple bloody instructions I guess. Needless to say I failed the audition.

I went back that night and played a great gig with my band though, despite feeling very deflated.

So the nervousness didn't cause me to screw up, just have a brain fade instead.

Thank you for all of the great input !! Lots good advice in this thread
I decided I’m going to play at the audition and just have fun! That is when I sound the best, when I’m having fun. I’m gonna’ bring out my Keith Moon persona.

Let me be honest and tell you what is really going on.
And please don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not trying to boast, show off or brag about myself.

When I was young back in the 1960’s I was a great drummer. I could play rock and roll with one hand better that most drummers could play with two hands. Many drummers came to our band concerts just to watch me play. And they would ask me, how do I do this or that. Consequently I developed a rather large ego.

In my early 20’s I decided to stop playing drums and pursue a regular 9 to 5 working career and a family. I played drums maybe once a year with some local band that was desperate for a drummer.

So now I am retired. Without practicing or playing the drums for 40 years, I started attending jam night at the local club. I had a great time jamming. And I had to come to grips with the fact that most drummers are better than I am.

Well, that’s OK. Basically I don’t play drums anymore. But I’m an adequate drummer and I play much better than I thought I would, having been away from it so long.

The house band asked me to play drums for them which I am now doing each week. And now this audition for another big band came up. And they want to come to jam night and hear me play.

So I have been struggling with the fact that I’m 63 years old and that I have not practiced or played very much for the last 40 years. And I have been wondering, do I really care if I get the job or not. Or if I should even expect to have a good audition.

But thanks to you guys I feel much better about it !!!!!!

So, where are you playing? I wanna stop by.

I can't seem to send messages. Maybe it is the settings on my computer.

I'm playing at RIPS night club, 16th street just north of Thomas at 8pm. Jam starts at 8:45 pm. Make sure you say hi to me.......

Back