Bass Head Delemma

HOUSTON 94

My stock bass drum head is a few years old and is completey void of tone. I really need 2 new heads seeing as the reso has a crack in it. I was originally going to get an EMAD2 and an EMAD reso but I am now at the crossroads.
People here have complained that the EMAD has a lot of issues with the plastic rings breaking. Is this only the reso? If it is, I can just buy an Onyx as a reso. If it is the batter, I dont feel like playing with a broken head. Here is what I'm thinking: either get a SK2 or an EMAD2 with either a Regulator, EMAD, or Onyx reso. What do you guys think? I'm taking a roadtrip today and there's a guitar center in the city I'm going to.
Has Evans fixed the problem and if not, are they replacing heads/refunding money?

Any help is appreciated.

I like both the SK I and the SK II. I Play the SKs on all my kits. Never a problem!
For resos I use a dampened black logo head on all of my kits depicting their brand.
Gretsch, Pearl, and Tama.

The SK batter and reso packs are excellent also.
Happy HeadHunting!

Last edited:
I have been using this combo since about 2000 or maybe 1999. I have tried all the rest and always go back to the SK's . Never a problem.
Roy and the folks at Aquarian really hit the nail with the SK series.
If you want a good solid thump, Thats the way to go.
The SKs last for years also. They actually get better with age.

Hey HOUSTON 94,
I'm currently using the stock Remo PS3s that came with my kit, and I've had no problems with them so far.

However, I've heard nothing but good things about the Aquarian SK and Regulator combo.
I believe that when the time comes to replace my bass drum heads I will give the Aquarians a shot.

Good luck, and let us know what you chose to go with.

My stock bass drum head is a few years old and is completey void of tone. I really need 2 new heads seeing as the reso has a crack in it. I was originally going to get an EMAD2 and an EMAD reso but I am now at the crossroads.
People here have complained that the EMAD has a lot of issues with the plastic rings breaking. Is this only the reso? If it is, I can just buy an Onyx as a reso. If it is the batter, I dont feel like playing with a broken head. Here is what I'm thinking: either get a SK2 or an EMAD2 with either a Regulator, EMAD, or Onyx reso. What do you guys think? I'm taking a roadtrip today and there's a guitar center in the city I'm going to.
Has Evans fixed the problem and if not, are they replacing heads/refunding money?

Any help is appreciated.

I would lean towards a PS3 or PS4 Batter head with an Ambassador or PS3 reso head

Any help is appreciated.

To my knowledge, Evans has corrected this issue and is using a better grade of material for the ring trays on the EMAD series heads. EMAD 2 (for me) all the way!

If you want mostly "thump", you can't really beat a SuperKick 2 head. If you want a liiiiittle more tone, I suggest the Onyx.

Back from guitar center. I played an EMAD and an Onyx. I like the Onyx better. I never got to play an EMAD2 though. How is it compared to the others? The guitar center I went to didn't have any Aquarian heads so I didn't get to play one.

The guitar center I went to didn't have any Aquarian heads so I didn't get to play one.
What is this world coming to!!!
GC didn't have SK heads in stock!!!
It's OK, The choice that you made is fine but I can't forgive GC! You should have had the opportunity to try the Aquarians so that you could decide based on your ear.

What is this world coming to!!!
GC didn't have SK heads in stock!!!
It's OK, The choice that you made is fine but I can't forgive GC! You should have had the opportunity to try the Aquarians so that you could decide based on your ear.

Typical for GC. Stock sells out and they don't re order until someone asks for 1 and they realize that there aren't any.

I just put an emad2 on my 22x18 along with an aquarian regulator (4inch hole) on the reso. Unfreakingbelievable........

Back