Brann Dailor

sween

Just started using the forum (although i have been reading with interest for a few months). I love loads of the drummers that have already been mentioned in this forum. Danny Carey, Bonham, John Theodore, Dave Grohl etc.(and loads that haven't, Ian paice, Matt Cameron, Brian Downey.) But one drummer who has really caught my attention recently is Brann Dailor (Mastadon). His chops and speed are incredible but where other metal drummers sacrifice feel and groove his are unreal. His use of ghost notes is superb and though you could argue he over plays it is what makes mastadon's music so exciting. He is a crazily creative drummer. Also a lot of other metal players could learn from him that use double kick drumming only when it feels right. I have seen him twice live and the stuff he nailed to a tee blew me away.
Sorry for being long winded but he is a great inspiration. Any thoughts.

Re: brann dailor

Brann is one of the most exciting drummers in heavy music out there right now. Leviathan is such and incredible album and it inspired me to start reading Moby-Dick.

He definitely is very tasteful with the double bass, he's got great grooves and mind blowing fills. He also writes a good deal of the material from what I understand. It's also great to see him talking up Prog guys like Phil Collins (well he used to be a prog drummer at least) and Bill Bruford. Hopefully a lot of new people will be turned on to guys like that.

I was stoked to see an interview and see that he's a really unique guy with a lot of character, "He's off in his own little world" as my friend Todd Hennig put it.

It is also interesting that along with some of the prog guys like phil collins and bill bruford he cites his main influences to be elvin jones and stevie wonder. It definitely shows in his feel and groove. For those on the forum who don't usually like metal drummers this guy is something different altogether. I recommend Leviathan to anyone but particularly drummers.

My favorite drummer. I signed up just to post in this thread haha. I might start drumming just because it's so interesting.... but I lack the discipline.

I sometimes feel that he overplays but I really like Mastodon and I honestly think he should play that way. If he played in a simpler way it would change the music too much.
I guess theres no rule that overplaying is wrong.

Doom said:
I sometimes feel that he overplays but I really like Mastodon and I honestly think he should play that way. If he played in a simpler way it would change the music too much.
I guess theres no rule that overplaying is wrong.

That's funny, I think he's pretty tasteful. Maybe it's just because he pwns me too much for me to notice. @_@

He defintely overplays. Alot. I like Mastodon in small doses, but it gets old for me really quick. I feel like he's pretty repetitive in his fills, too...he has decent hands, though.

It would be overplaying if it wasn't their type of music, but his playing fits perfectly for the intensity that is Mastodon!

Brann Dailor of Mastodon

Has anyone else heard this guy? Mastodon is a pretty good current metal band. If you're into metal you should deffinitely give their newest album, Leviathan, a listen. Brann Dailor is just ridiculous though. Probably one of the most fill-heavy drumming styles I've ever heard. He's a balast to listen to though and I think he deserves some credit. He's incredibly talented.

Re: Brann Dailor of Mastodon

That guy is very unique sounding. His chops are great, and relies heavily on his snare for almost all his fills. Very powerful presence, they are an aptly named band.

Haha, I just read all these fill-heavy style comments and I had to laugh. He comes up with an absolute perfect drumming style for what the music demands. If you think mastodon is fill-heavy, check out the Today is the day album, "In the eyes of god" .Ridiculous. Brann and Bill from Mastodon played in Today is the day before hand. Check it out.

Det_Nosnip said:
He defintely overplays. Alot. I like Mastodon in small doses, but it gets old for me really quick. I feel like he's pretty repetitive in his fills, too...he has decent hands, though.

To my ears he's not overplaying. He's playing a lot of notes, but typically that's either stuff that's duplicating parts going on in other instruments or playing very dense stuff at times when the other instruments are playing quite simply. If you dropped the simple sections back to more typical 4/4 grooves I suspect it would make the band as a whole sound a lot less nimble and a lot more like a high school metal band.

He's a strong player. I do like the snare heavy approach to metal too, it strikes me as a lot more sensible than the usual "trigger the hell out of your bass drum so you can hear it and play constant 16ths" approach. This stuff actually sounds like a drum kit, rather than a drum machine.

I think that he overplays, but idk. I think its part of Mastodons "sound." I picked up Remission a while ago too, and if you wnat to hear some of Branns craziest playing, cehck out workhorse. I cant even keep up with it when listening.

Anybody else notice on Blood and Thunder that Neil Fallon did the guest vocals? He sings the part:

Split your lungs with blood and thunder,
when you see the white whale!
Break your backs and crack your oars men,
if you wish to prevail.
This ivory leg is what propels me,
harpoons thrust in the sky.
Aim directly for his crooked brow,
and look him straight in the eye...

I completely agree with Franklinj. He does overplay his parts, as they are riddled with snare fills and rolls. I listened to the album Leviathan, and heard him keep a steady beat very rarely. Dailor attempts to bring in the progressive style of drumming like other metal and alternative drummers do, like Chris Adler and Danny Carey, but I do not think he performs this style as well as others. In my opinion, he should try sticking with the bassist and keeping a more steady beat. Everything seems to be played for no more than 20 seconds before there is another snare roll; What is the reason for this? Dave Lombardo got respect for his fills and double bassing, and so did Mike Portnoy (who I find juist as skilled as Lombardo), but they also knew when a steady beat was needed. Brann Dailor seems to almost be showing off.
- Marc

Finnhiggins:
I find Brann's bass drum to be just as clicky and trigger-sounding as most of the drummers of today.
- Marc

i love this guy, he is definately excellent, and i agree about the drum sound, it is more natural sounding. He had great dynamics.

tambian89 said:
Finnhiggins:
I find Brann's bass drum to be just as clicky and trigger-sounding as most of the drummers of today.
- Marc

Really? I'm not hearing that, this could quite plausibly just be a thick head and compression. But either way, that's kind of beside the point. The point being that the bass drum is not being used in a way that the machine-like nature of the tone is made too obvious, most of the playing focus is on snare, toms and cymbals. The part construction is a lot more naturalistic, and the approach to recording just seems to reflect that.

Not that it sounds like Elvin Jones or anything, but it's still a step up from the likes of Fear Factory in this respect.

Finnhiggins:
I thought you were refering exclusively to the sound (sorry about that). Dailor has some sick chops, but I still feel he throws in too many fills, and his beats seem to be broken up by the fills, rather than complimented by them. He is a very good drummer-there is no doubting that, but I juist feel that in his case, "a little dab will do ya".
I like to think of fills like a person would think of speaking; Why say something in 15 words when you can say them in 5? In drumming, you should do the opposite: play something you play in 5 beats over 15 beats. Of course, drum fills require a lot of finesse, but knowing when brevity and longevity will suit the song best requires more skillty. In my opinion, spreading fills over a long period of time, in other words - playing a fill rarely but making it count each time - has a better effect than filling every 10 beats or so.

- Marc

mastodon are very cool band they reinstilled my faith in modern metal,brann is a great drummer he never gets dull and his style totaly reminds me of mitch mitchel who also gets acused of over playing but i think the dudes awsome

The great thing about Dailor is that when he plays, the fills are like grooves, and the grooves are like fills. There is a seamless transition, which, as finns said, makes his playing sound more 'natrualistic' (however you spell that).

I liken grooves and fills to working and holiday-ing. Too many drummers posses a very 'work-man-like' approach to grooves; this is what puts the food on the table for them, and they just mechanically churn it out, careful not to upset the other musicians. Only in fills are they allowed the chance to shine, express their creativity, and so on, so the fills can be considered the holidays in this analogy.

However, you're allowed, what 1-2 weeks off a year? Why not enjoy your job as well as the holidays, if you see what I mean. It's cool to see drummers providing feel and creativity in their grooves as well as fills, keeping ALL of their playing fresh and inventive.

Back