Just want to give props to Pro Mark Oaks.

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Probably the most comfortable stick I've used, and the most durable apart from plastic/fiberglass sticks I've used.

I've tried a lot of sticks since I started drumming, I think the only kind I hadn't tried was Regal Tip and Sound Percussion. I chipped and broke hickory fairly often, and I never knew when a stick was going to break.

Then I played some Pro Marks and I loved them. But I still had the problem of breaking sticks. I bought a pair of Oaks on a whim and they outlasted the rest of the sticks. I began buying the pro mark japanese oaks and I usually don't break them unless I'm playing harder than I should. If I really start to bang the sticks hard, where it's harder than I need to draw the sound out of the drum powerfully, then it starts to weaken. But when you're driving maybe 100lbs of force to a drum head with a stick, it's bound to break.

Anyways, just wanted to say I really like these sticks. I usually get the 747s and the 5A's. :)

I have nothing original to add to this thread. My experience with these sticks has been the same. Can't remember the last time I honest to god broke a pair, mostly the tips just wear away and you need to replace them. Rarely does the whole stick dissolve into two.

Probably the most comfortable stick I've used, and the most durable apart from plastic/fiberglass sticks I've used.

I've tried a lot of sticks since I started drumming, I think the only kind I hadn't tried was Regal Tip and Sound Percussion. I chipped and broke hickory fairly often, and I never knew when a stick was going to break.

Then I played some Pro Marks and I loved them. But I still had the problem of breaking sticks. I bought a pair of Oaks on a whim and they outlasted the rest of the sticks. I began buying the pro mark japanese oaks and I usually don't break them unless I'm playing harder than I should. If I really start to bang the sticks hard, where it's harder than I need to draw the sound out of the drum powerfully, then it starts to weaken. But when you're driving maybe 100lbs of force to a drum head with a stick, it's bound to break.

Anyways, just wanted to say I really like these sticks. I usually get the 747s and the 5A's. :)
That's funny those are my fav. sizes in PM Oaks also. A little hint the tighter the grain, the stronger the stick.

Keep Swattin"
Bonzolead

Not trying to be a downer here but I stopped playing Oak because I kept breaking them.

They seem to break violently in half virtically or straight down the middle instead of widdling their way down like Hickory does alot of the time.

Maybe thats better in a way because I hate when my Hickory sticks widdle down until they get too light and loose their feel.

That's funny because I just bought a pair of the promark oak's and I broke one of them within an hour. I usually play hickory 5A's but the guy at GC talked me into trying out the oaks......next.

I think the white oak is simply too hard or something. I love the balance of the Neil Peart White Oak model, but they put too much of the shock of each stroke back into my hand.

Doesn't seem to matter how I grip, either.

I was rather surprised to see NP stick with that wood / model after "reinventing" his playing back before the "Test For Echo" CD.

I used to play the 747 oaks a long time ago. Then on to maple, then back to hickory. I picked up a pair of oaks just to see what I used to see in them, and the very first time I played with them I shattered one on the snare rim. No warning, no give like on a hickory stick that's about to break, just bam, I had half a stick.

Right now I'm playing (and loving) the 5B Pro-Grips.

ok so is it just me whose had problems with PM jap oak sticks then, everyone else says they are really durable not for me :/ maybe just a bad batch i brought 2 5as the 2 5bs each set didnt last a week used my old vic firth american classics again and they have since lasted 1-2 months constant use.

I used to play the 747 oaks a long time ago. Then on to maple, then back to hickory. I picked up a pair of oaks just to see what I used to see in them, and the very first time I played with them I shattered one on the snare rim. No warning, no give like on a hickory stick that's about to break, just bam, I had half a stick.

Right now I'm playing (and loving) the 5B Pro-Grips.

Exactly, there is no warning "buzz" or "rattle", they just explode all of a sudden and your sitten there with 1/2 a stick.

And they do transfer alot of energy into your hands.

Back