DrummerWorld in 2009

Just to mention this, dunno if anyone has thought bout this, but you's were talkin bout a chat room, why not just get MSN messanger and talk that way?(meet at a specific time or what not, to talk and discuss) that way it doesnt add to the cost of the site. Was just a thought, i know people would be worried about email add privacy or what not, but i'm sure we can all trust eachother :)

Would a chatbox be very expensive then?

I have an msn-icon in all of my messages, if anyone of this forum wants to add me that's fine. But a chatbox would be a great way to get some feedback and help directly if a lot of people use it. It might cut down on the number of threads started / messages posted on the forum (and thus save space), since the chat room messages don't get saved for longer periods of time.

But I am not very knowledgeable about this so correct me if I'm wrong.

I have an msn-icon in all of my messages, if anyone of this forum wants to add me that's fine. But a chatbox would be a great way to get some feedback and help directly if a lot of people use it. It might cut down on the number of threads started / messages posted on the forum (and thus save space), since the chat room messages don't get saved for longer periods of time.

No, a chatbox page would basically be free, because Google ads (especially on a huge site like this) are extremely profitable.

Plus, it really would be a HUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE help for people who just have a quick question, like "which is better," or something like that, and don't want to waste an entire thread.

A chat box would be cool

What I would like to see is a voting button next to each post in a thread where members can vote on whether or not the post was helpful. I've seen quite a few posts giving very bad advice in response to questions. It would be nice for someone with a question to be able to see which answers the community thinks are trustworthy.

Wayne

Yeah, that would be neat. Sort of like how YouTube comments work with the thumbs up and thumbs down icon.

Making chat rooms is usually easy. And once you do make one, put the link on a forum thread so everyone that's a member (don't know how your ganna do that) can chat when ever they want.

http://www.chatzy.com/

^^ Might be a good site to start off with.

I love the idea of a teacher's forum

What I would like to see is a voting button next to each post in a thread where members can vote on whether or not the post was helpful. I've seen quite a few posts giving very bad advice in response to questions. It would be nice for someone with a question to be able to see which answers the community thinks are trustworthy.

Wayne

I kind of like this idea, and kind of don't. Too many things in drumming are opinion based, or there are more than one way to do them...I'm picturing threads like the ones on open handed playing that get downright nasty, and wondering if it wouldn't just turn into all the pro-open-handers giving thumbs up to everything they agree with, and thumbs down to everything they disagree with, stuff like that. Or a lot of the younger guys giving thumbs down to us old farts when we suggest people buy used gear, even though it really is a great suggestion...

I read this whole thread and except for the idea of Bernhard posting a solo video, I can't think of anything that I would like to see changed. Sorry to put you on the spot Bernhard!

One thing that I would like to stay the same: I've been to other drum forums, and smilies (of all varieties) seem to be a primary source of "emotional communication," if you will. In other words, they use to smilies to hint of sarcasm, pride, joy, happiness, and sadness, among many others.

It annoys the crap out of me.

Drummerworld's no-smiley rule maintains the superb class of this forum. I appreciate that.

In addition, it will be good to have Bernhard's drummer profile, included in the list of Featured Drummers. Besides been the owner and founder of DrummerWorld, I think You (Bernhard) deserve it as an drummer.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
No, a chatbox page would basically be free, because Google ads (especially on a huge site like this) are extremely profitable.

Plus, it really would be a HUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE help for people who just have a quick question, like "which is better," or something like that, and don't want to waste an entire thread.

True. But come to think of it: because of the random nature of what you can ask / say on a chatbox I can also see it going horribly wrong, e.g. if the chatbox is flooded with people not only asking random questions, but also giving random answers and making random statements, like you see people on youtube sometimes do (e.g. you blow, this sucks, portnoy would have done a better job, I want my mommy, plus one!!1!11, bonham is god etc.). A quality chatbox should be moderated whenever it's open to prevent this from happening. That might add quite a lot to the cost of a chatbox - there aren't many people who will moderate a chatbox for hours on end for no money at all.

Yeah, I don't think a chat box would be very good. All unorganized. And unless we can get one where you have to be an actually member to use it, we'll get A LOT of spam

I think DW is fine the way it is, except we are lacking in some Bernhard drumming videos

Yeah, I don't think a chat box would be very good. All unorganized. And unless we can get one where you have to be an actually member to use it, we'll get A LOT of spam

I think DW is fine the way it is, except we are lacking in some Bernhard drumming videos

I'm 100% sure it is possible to have a members-only chatbox.

True. But come to think of it: because of the random nature of what you can ask / say on a chatbox I can also see it going horribly wrong, e.g. if the chatbox is flooded with people not only asking random questions, but also giving random answers and making random statements, like you see people on youtube sometimes do (e.g. you blow, this sucks, portnoy would have done a better job, I want my mommy, plus one!!1!11, bonham is god etc.). A quality chatbox should be moderated whenever it's open to prevent this from happening. That might add quite a lot to the cost of a chatbox - there aren't many people who will moderate a chatbox for hours on end for no money at all.

I don't think there would be much spam on it, if it were members-only. Obviously, there would be an option to turn it off, but I think that even if people were spamming, if people just ignored them, then legit conversations could be held, because the spam would just die away (as in only the, say, 30 most recent messages are shown).

Back