Need some advice on if I should keep or return a set of drums.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Hey all, I recently purchased a set of Pearl Session Studio Classics off Reverb and now I'm debating if I should keep them or send them back. I trust the opinion of the people on here, so I figured I'd ask. I know ultimately it is my decision and I may or may not go with the consensus on here. However, I figured I'd ask since I know there are many on here that know a lot more than I do.

Essentially Reverb has ruled in my favor that the drums were not represented correctly in the ad and have said the store needs to pay to have them shipped back. It seems like the store is willing to give some money back so they do not have to do this.

The store said it had light surface scratches and some play wear... I'm fine with that, and they said it included a set of bags. I got the set for $595 including shipping.

The issues: The bass drum is a different size than was quoted. The bass drum bag and one of the tom bags is an incorrect size for the drum (so bad that the bag for one of the toms is for a 14x8 drum where the drum is 13x9, this was not disclosed). There is also something going on with the bass drum, what looks like water spots or something on one side plus the screws on the inside seem to have an odd film on them.

So far they have offered me $100 back. What do you guys think?

Attached are pictures of the bass drum issues.
RPWqw5i.jpg

ndLtObH.jpg

I want to add I don't NEED this set, it seemed like a good deal and I liked the Pearl SSC series so I went for it, but I already have a set that I'm in the process of rewrapping. That process can be see in my Bum Wrap journey thread.

I have no idea what the first picture is, but I say if Reverb is backing you up and you lose no money in doing so, send them back...

I would send them back. You didn't get what you paid for, and you should. Nothing wrong with being an upset customer. If they really want your business, and not just your money, they should fix it without issue.

I would send them back. You didn't get what you paid for, and you should. Nothing wrong with being an upset customer. If they really want your business, and not just your money, they should fix it without issue.

I just want to make sure I'm not just making an emotional decision or the kit is worth keeping depending on how much money they kick back.

I've been dealing with this the whole week. Originally they only offered me $25 back, which I rejected because it'd cost more than that just to get the right bag for the 13" tom. After that they offered $50, and said well I could send it back at my cost if I didn't like that offer. So I got Reverb involved, and they ruled it was the seller's fault and they had to pay for shipping. That's when they offered me $100 back.

Even though shipping is a pain (to me at least) I would definitely send it back. $600 for wrong sized drums is unacceptable and with the wrong bags on top of it.

I just want to make sure I'm not just making an emotional decision or the kit is worth keeping depending on how much money they kick back.

I've been dealing with this the whole week. Originally they only offered me $25 back, which I rejected because it'd cost more than that just to get the right bag for the 13" tom. After that they offered $50, and said well I could send it back at my cost if I didn't like that offer. So I got Reverb involved, and they ruled it was the seller's fault and they had to pay for shipping. That's when they offered me $100 back.

Nah, they are trying to throw money at the problem instead of fix it. Ask yourself this: would you be happy with the wrong thing and $100, or would you rather have what you paid for? Be emotional, you had to work for the money you gave them. Unless you have a money tree. In which case I am extremely jealous.

I played the set and though it sounds good, I have decided to return it. Like everyone said, it isn't what I wanted or ordered, and in the end I would probably end up unhappy and trying to get rid of it later anyway.

Thanks everyone for just confirming what I was thinking.

Back