Best drum rug/drum mat for the money

silentsky

I'm in the market for a new rug for setting my kit on, but I don't necessarily want to pay a premium for a specialty "drum rug". Most of the ones that I've seen are too small for my kit and they're just way too expensive.

I'd like to get one that I could also use those velcro Protection Racket Drum Mat Markers on, as I'm pretty O.C.D about getting everything in just the right spot. Has anyone found a good rug anywhere online that suits this purpose that won't cost a fortune? I think I need at least a 5' x 8' size.

one option is that black indoor / outdoor rug (looks like car carpet) that you get at Home Depot. i got a 6 x 6' recently for like $15.

I have a Protection Racket rug and it's money. It's the perfect size and it's super-tough, yet very thin and lightweight. I use little rectangles of velcro as markers where my gear is placed and I can setup in 10 minutes flat. Best rug on the market!

one option is that black indoor / outdoor rug (looks like car carpet) that you get at Home Depot. i got a 6 x 6' recently for like $15.

Do you recall if they had any larger sizes? I'm afraid that a 6' x 6' won't be big enough. I play a single bass kit, but I set it up as if it were a double-bass kit (just imagine a second invisible bass drum).

Do you recall if they had any larger sizes? I'm afraid that a 6' x 6' won't be big enough. I play a single bass kit, but I set it up as if it were a double-bass kit (just imagine a second invisible bass drum).

You may not need such a large mat. I use an olefin mat with a nappy top side, the kind seen in public buildings like banks, stores, restaurants. It is very tough, very thin, reasonably lightweight and easy to replace. Scratchy velcro sticks to it very well.

Mine is just 2 feet by 3 feet. It stretches just enough to contact the bass drum pedal, the snare stand and my hahat and two percussion foot pedals. None of my other stands move around, so they don't need carpet under them. It doesn't mind spikes and I got about 10 years out of the last one I used. The small rug rolls up tightly and fits into my stand case.

A long time ago, my father in law bought a 8'x10' area rug that had a portrait of Elvis on it. It's one of those rugs you'd see at a roadside stand. He thought that since she likes Elvis, she would like this rug. It didn't really live up to my wife's sophisticated taste but we still put it in our living room for about six months before it got rolled up and leaned against the wall in the basement where it stayed for about 4 years. One day I finally worked up the nerve to ask my wife if I could use it as my drum rug and she agreed. It's a real conversation piece when I'm setting up before gigs. People think it's pretty hilarious. Very functional, though.

This is a great question for me because I just bought one last night.
I got it at Wal Mart of all places. I already knew they had them because I bought one from Wal Mart on Maui for my home years ago.
Theyre 5'x7', have a shallow shag and come in all the basic colors and they only cost $20
Mine matches my Red Maple kit.

finishrug004.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new rug for setting my kit on, but I don't necessarily want to pay a premium for a specialty "drum rug". Most of the ones that I've seen are too small for my kit and they're just way too expensive.

I'd like to get one that I could also use those velcro Protection Racket Drum Mat Markers on, as I'm pretty O.C.D about getting everything in just the right spot. Has anyone found a good rug anywhere online that suits this purpose that won't cost a fortune? I think I need at least a 5' x 8' size.

Go to a carpet store - get a high quality leftover piece (one plush enough to hold your set well) - cut the carpet to your exact setup size (this way you can see where your set fits - before you start putting your kit down) then place your set up on it and mark the legs landing spot with testers model paint (this paint will melt into the carpet, little arcs work well) I have my carpet marked with 2 different colors, one for each set - AND its not expensive!!!!

Last edited:

i think 6' is the max width size, depends on the looms that have at your HD...might be bigger. However, you could potentially go 6 x 12' if you wanted (they just roll out a 6' wide loom of carpet & cut to size)...so if 6' is the right depth for your double-bass kit, then you are good to go. i am guessing that this shouldn't be a problem, unless your last name is Bozzio. :)

i think 6' is the max width size, depends on the looms that have at your HD...might be bigger. However, you could potentially go 6 x 12' if you wanted (they just roll out a 6' wide loom of carpet & cut to size)...so if 6' is the right depth for your double-bass kit, then you are good to go. i am guessing that this shouldn't be a problem, unless your last name is Bozzio. :)

Hey,

Lowes or Home Depot has indoor/outdoor capet roles (looms) of 10' to 12' wide you can have cut to any length. You'll be able to get what you need at a very low price. It's the same stuff that most of the "drum rugs" are made of you'll find on Musician's Friends and such.

Cheers,
-r

Go to a carpet store - get a high quality leftover piece (one plush enough to hold your set well) - cut the carpet to your exact setup size (this way you can see where your set fits - before you start putting your kit down) then place your set up on it and mark the legs landing spot with testers model paint (this paint will melt into the carpet, little arcs work well) I have my carpet marked with 2 different colors, one for each set - AND its not expensive!!!!

Someo f the more fussy players (like me) think this looks ghetto, especially when the edges begin to fray.

yeah, go to Wal-Mart/K Mart/Target/garage sale and get an area rug. You can get them for cheap, and in the perfect size for a whole kit, plus the edges don't fray since the rug is made to be stand alone. I got one that's 5X8, and my whole kit fits perfectly on it with room to spare, and the best thing is, nothing moves. I'm sure they sell them online, too.

Yep I'm in the Walmart crowd with this one. Did the same thing as the other guys, $20 it works perfectly, low pile design and the edges are bound so it won't fray it's 5x6 or 5x8 don't remember. Don't see a need for a "drum specific" rug in my book.

Yeah, a non-drum specific rug is the way to go. A regular 5x8 rug works just fine. I got mine at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

Fuzrock---Hahahaha! That is too funny..I have about $40 birthday bucks burning a hole in my pocket but now I know what I HAVE to get. Elvis or dogs playing cards drum rug. Thanks for the visual...I would have read Brady's reply but I couldn't stop staring at his avatar.

Last edited:
Back