The Formal Letter Posting Style

MrPockets

Gold Member
Dear Users,

Do you think it is silly to post like this. I do. There is no need to address the user because you can quote them and you don't need to sign because we can see your name next to your post.

Sincerely,

Mr Pockets

P.S. lol

Yes.whats the deal with signing your posts?if i wanted to know your name id look at your username.

Somebody could have hacked into your account and be pretending to be you. Signing your name at the bottom of your posts proves that it really Is you. Obvious!

Yes.whats the deal with signing your posts?if i wanted to know your name id look at your username.

What's with the attitude?

Yours ever

Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel

August 1, 2014​
Drummerworld users
www.drummerworld.com
The internet

To whom it may concern
Dear sir/madam. I'm writing this to inform you that I would find it exceptionally irritating to have to write every post in this manner, and I'm very glad that internet forums in general have adopted a much more informal style of communication.

That being said, I would be very curious to see how forum posts by so-called "spammers" and "trolls" would look if written in this manner.

Attached is a picture of what I would assume a "spammer" would look like under such circumstances.

Best regards
Naigewron

Attachments

• gentlemanSpammer.jpg
    gentlemanSpammer.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 155
'tis silly, however... Call me old fashioned but if a highly respected professional drummer was on the forum I'd address them formally. For example, if Bill Bruford showed up I'd address him as Mr. Bruford as we have never been formally introduced and we are not "familiars". I think addressing him as Bill would be a bit presumptuous.

Perhaps I'm being an ass but I prefer that my students address me as "Professor Fiore" or "Mr. Fiore", not "Jim".

In any case, signing your name is certainly redundant, certainly.

Call me old fashioned but if a highly respected professional drummer was on the forum I'd address them formally.

Mr Schwartz, Mr Roddy and Mr Harrison await such displays of your reverence.

For example, if Bill Bruford showed up I'd address him as Mr. Bruford as we have never been formally introduced and we are not "familiars". I think addressing him as Bill would be a bit presumptuous.

Me? I'd just call him mate like I do pretty much everyone else I encounter.

Perhaps I'm being an ass but I prefer that my students address me as "Professor Fiore" or "Mr. Fiore", not "Jim".

Students? Yeah, I can cop that. However, you may find yourself somewhat disappointed if you expect such airs and graces around this place. :)

Certainly, it most certainly is. Of that I am certain.

My oldest sister, God rest her soul, used to always write emails as if they were letters. Starting with,

Dear Brother John,
bla bla bla

Love, Sally

It was different but I never commented on it.

It was different but I never commented on it.

Congratulations. You're not a hater.

Since the downfall of racism, and now that smoking and fat bans have dried up public opportunities for progressive hate, haters have been flocking to the internet in search of new targets.

I've noticed that this forum has far fewer haters than hate-mills like redit/4chan/SAweful.

Mr Schwartz, Mr Roddy and Mr Harrison await such displays of your reverence.

It's not reverence, it's common courtesy. That's how I grew up. And yes, I have addressed Mr. Harrison precisely in that manner and would continue to do so until he directed me to stop or we became friends. And it's not because he's a great drummer. I see him as a guest of this place and therefore certain courtesies are due.

Students? Yeah, I can cop that. However, you may find yourself somewhat disappointed if you expect such airs and graces around this place. :)

Heck no, around here I am thankful that people even acknowledge my presence.

Since the downfall of racism, and now that smoking and fat bans have dried up public opportunities for progressive hate, haters have been flocking to the internet in search of new targets.

There will always be new targets for hate. Talk radio pretty much relies on it. Gays, immigrants, whomever, it's just a question of the target du jour.

Call me old fashioned but if a highly respected professional drummer was on the forum I'd address them formally.

Yes! You address a gentleman or lady that you do not know personally with an appropriate title, (Dr., Mr., Ma'am, etc.) until they ask you to drop the title and call them by their name. Even then if they are in certain positions you continue to use their appropriate title until they insist you drop it. If the President of the United States asked me to call him Barack I think I would still call him Mr. President. This is etiquette 101! Along the same lines as not offering your hand to a lady (guys), saying "your welcome" (NOT "no problem"), swearing in public, etc. etc.

JM

When being introduced to someone I have never met, I usually address them as they are intoduced. Johnny this is Joe , then I would reply, glad to meet you Joe etc. Granted in the hospital where I work I call everyone I don't know Sir as respect and not always knowing who is a doctor and who is not. I never use Doc. I hate that

I call people what they call me. If they call me by my first name, then I don't care who they are, I'll call them by their first name.

'tis silly, however... Call me old fashioned but if a highly respected professional drummer was on the forum I'd address them formally. For example, if Bill Bruford showed up I'd address him as Mr. Bruford as we have never been formally introduced and we are not "familiars". I think addressing him as Bill would be a bit presumptuous.

In grade school every teacher required us to call them, Mr./Mrs/Ms. Whatever.
In high school some teachers still required the prefix (for a few names it flowed better to use it especially if their last name was one syllable), other teachers didn't care.

Same in college and in high school.

In retail and when I worked at a golf course, I call customers that are older than me and I had no idea what their names are, sir, miss, ma'am. People my age or younger buddy or guy. I throw in sir to the more serious looking children. otherwise always Mr/Mrs.

I always use Mr./Mrs. when I am first introduced to someone then go from there.

I like the way US Southerners do it. If a woman's name is Marilyn, men call her Miss Marilyn.

I like the way US Southerners do it. If a woman's name is Marilyn, men call her Miss Marilyn.

I never understood why we split the title for women based on marital status (Miss vs. Mrs.) but do not do so for men (always Mr.). Is it because men were/are in control, want to know immediately who is available and are too dumb to figure it out on their own? Is the husband trying to convey ownership (seriously, until the 20th century women were treated as chattel and still are in some places)? Or is it that men want to hide their own status? By default I use Ms. for women unless I know what their preference is.

I never understood why we split the title for women based on marital status

It was because a woman's social status depended on her marital status. Unmarried women were considered inferior - hence the term "old maid". Married women lost their entire identity (as well as their money, unless it was specifically protected) to their husbands so that they became (e.g.) Mrs Jim Fiore, rather than Mrs Magenta Fiore, the title "Mrs" equating to "wife of". When a woman was widowed, however, property and income came under her control.

Back