My Tama Starclassic Bubingas

I've always preferred Remo's Emperor sound to the G2s, but that's your decision. The EC2s will really tone down the resonance if you want that kind of sound.

What I would like to do when the time comes is get a few different heads for one tom and decide from there. I have not really locked myself into Evans (I guess it might sound like I have given the two choices I mentioned), but rather I have never felt the need to go elsewhere. I'm not planning to change heads right away, but what I'm looking for sound-wise is something with a moderate sustain and decent attack as well. I realize the EC2s will probably cut back on the sustain quite a bit but I would like to hear both ends of the spectrum and hopefully find something in between that suits my ears.

Thank you! I really hope there's some sarcasm in there toward the end haha! When I planned to upgrade to these, I had no intention of doing shows or gigs or anything (hence the size of the kit). But they do sound killer!

Well, sort of. But you really have no intention of taking these guys out for a gig? They certainly deserve to be played in public! Beautiful! Enjoy!

I'll put it this way - at this point, between my work and lacking a vehicle big enough to transport everything for the full setup, I wouldn't plan on taking the entire setup. I have a few friends that I jam with but nothing that amounts to playing shows right now. If I were to get to that point, I would probably just take part of the kit and go with a double pedal to make it more manageable.

You must be loving life. And you also go down to your drum room, sit on a chair in front of your kit, and drool. You just stare at the kit for a half an hour, not practice at all, and still feel accomplished. LOL

Oh, I'm definitely loving having this thing in my possession after all the waiting! As for just staring at my kit, I don't think I could sit behind it and NOT play it. I'll be even happier once I can get the last of my current cymbals up, but I would like eventually to get everything over to Meinls.

Beautiful kit man , definetly one of the best finishes out of the bubingas. Tama always makes great finishes, especially when it comes to starcalssics.

Beautiful kit man , definetly one of the best finishes out of the bubingas. Tama always makes great finishes, especially when it comes to starcalssics.

I'm very happy with how the drums look by themselves and of course on the rack and set up. When I was still in the decision process, I was between these and their maple counterparts. At that point I liked the Antique Natural Burst but it was discontinued. Love how the white/silver looks, especially with black nickel hardware to provide some contrast.

As I was about to reply to your comment, I actually saw your picture and, if I'm seeing it right, I did exactly what you did with the right side of your rack. The pics will probably explain what I did as much as any lengthy response, but I turned the side of my rack around so it curves in instead of out and the end result, to no surprise, was that both toms moved in a few inches. Once again thanks for the idea!

You have a good eye my friend. That's exactly how I solved it. The farthest end of my rack is snuggling aside the kick on it's right, so that's the reason why I can get my floor so close. For set-up-convenience-sake I am planning on getting my hanging floors some legs (some day far away) Then I won't need the right side of the rack for toms at all.

Decided to tackle some of the cymbals today although they're a work in progress, still trying to figure out how I want to situate everything. Working with the hardware that I currently have got me this far. At some point down the road I'll get enough to mount the remaining cymbals but for now I'll leave you with these:

DSC03320_zps8b2b2001.jpg

DSC03322_zps7365dd23.jpg

Gosh damn It's......It's beautiful :O

Been rearranging my cymbals a little at a time. There are a few things to keep in mind; first, as I stated in one of my earlier posts, there are four more cymbals (three splashes and a china) that I plan to mount, and second, I have ideas that I'd like to implement down the road such as an x-hat that I am trying to accommodate for in any setup that I stick with. Any comments/opinions/advice welcome!

DSC03345_zps21d4a174.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking kit. I LOVE the bubinga drums. If I ever get a wood kit again it'll be bubinga. (or maybe oak.)
I love that you are not stuck on one brand. Pearl Rack, Tama drums, Trick pedals. Good for you. Unless they are paying your bills you don't owe one specific brand NOTHING!

Totally agree with not sticking to one brand. To me everything comes down to a few important factors - function, appearance and cost. I have had the Pearl rack for years so that was an easy decision to keep. There are numerous little details that led to my other choices for hardware, pedals, drums, etc. but to keep my post fairly short I won't go into all those right now haha.

This will be my last big upgrade on the kit for most likely a few months. I picked up cymbal arms and clamps to get the last of my cymbals up on the rack as well as a set of Puresound snares. Next up on the wishlist will be an x-hat but all in due time. The heads are about due for tuning again so looks like I'll have myself a busy afternoon!

DSC03360_zpse113b97d.jpg

DSC03370_zpsa973e5e2.jpg

Long overdue update - this spring I was able to get some outdoor shots and I have a "project" in the works for the left side of my rack. In the meantime, I have switched over to EC2's with Genera resonant heads and absolutely love the sound they achieve.

DSC_0001_zps2d88505d.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsbc0542c6.jpg

DSC_0013_zps9318934b.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsaef0606f.jpg

As for the left side, which is noticeably bare, around August I ordered four octobans (the high-pitch set) as well as matching black nickel lugs and black nickel mounting brackets. As of now, three of the drums are in and I just got the mounting brackets today. Once the last drum comes in, I will be painting them to match my kit. I'll spare all the minor details thus far to keep this post fairly short.

DSC_0055_zpse922c1d9.jpg

DSC_0057_zpsdcbb7242.jpg

I haven't been updating this as frequently as I have on other forums but on a different thread I mentioned a plan to paint my octobans to match my Starclassics. The paint process started back in March and is finally coming close to an end. The drums received their first coat of clear yesterday with another one to come today and more in the coming days. I will post a few pictures here showing the progress made so far...

DSC_0017_zpst6jyczkr.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsoqgefk3w.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsairhwudx.jpg

DSC_0024_zps9g2ceos3.jpg

Back